Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2022, 08:44   #91
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Cat capsizes off Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What have I done to you to get this aggression? Just because I’m right and you don’t like it?

Wtf, why would I talk to that family? How you even manage to come up with this? You Googled until you found something to counter me?

No aggression and you were wrong not right as the example of the Pride Of Baltimore states.
My father was friends with one of the crew that died in the Pride of Baltimore, thus my reference.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:05   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
At well over 90 degrees the mast would be wet? I’ve seen monohulls at least dip there spreaders if not the mast with no sails up in 90 knots. Would all seaworthy monohulls recover from a knockdown before their sails filled with water?
A seaworthy cruising monohull should have no problems self righting from a knockdown, even if the sails have “filled with water”.

That much maligned lump of lead has its uses .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:18   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
No aggression and you were wrong not right as the example of the Pride Of Baltimore states.
My father was friends with one of the crew that died in the Pride of Baltimore, thus my reference.
You clearly didn’t read my post right. It mentioned “seaworthy”. Maybe I should have mentioned “modern” as well, because there were a lot of problems in the 1600’s too and at the time those may have been considered seaworthy.

I bet you know what I mean and are just trolling and having a bad day. Smile!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:25   #94
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A seaworthy cruising monohull should have no problems self righting from a knockdown, even if the sails have “filled with water”.

That much maligned lump of lead has its uses .

I agree, but the mast would be wet? My point wasn’t whether a well found monohull would survive a knockdown it was a monohull would get knocked down if it had full sail up and got hit beam on with a 90+ kt gust.
And to be fair, I’m pretty sure most if not all catamarans would end up belly up in the same situation.
Old 08-08-2022, 13:42   #95
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I agree, but the mast would be wet? My point wasn’t whether a well found monohull would survive a knockdown it was a monohull would get knocked down if it had full sail up and got hit beam on with a 90+ kt gust.
And to be fair, I’m pretty sure most if not all catamarans would end up belly up in the same situation.
I really don’t understand what you are talking about… the mast wet? Do you mean that the wind pushes the boat into more than 90 degree heel? No, it can do that as long as it’s not a white squall or whatever they call a hard downdraft wind that would push the sails into the water.

A modern cruising monohull design can not be capsized by the wind. When they capsize, it is because of large waves, which means they will right themselves again either all by themselves immediately, or by the next wave.

The pressure from the wind into the sails is partly released with any heel angle, so it’s not on-off, it is a gradual function from full on at 0 degrees heel to zero pressure at 90 degrees heel. Normally the keel will be enough to stop further heel long before 90 degrees is reached.

I don’t have my documentation at hand but I believe that our boat will right itself even when its heeling 130 degrees which is mostly upside down.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 14:32   #96
smj

Quote:
You clearly didn’t read my post right. It mentioned “seaworthy”. Maybe I should have mentioned “modern” as well, because there were a lot of problems in the 1600’s too and at the time those may have been considered seaworthy.

I bet you know what I mean and are just trolling and having a bad day. Smile!

Pride of Baltimore was built in 1977 and sailed over 150,000 bluewater miles before sinking.
Old 08-08-2022, 14:51   #97
smj

Quote:
I really don’t understand what you are talking about… the mast wet? Do you mean that the wind pushes the boat into more than 90 degree heel? No, it can do that as long as it’s not a white squall or whatever they call a hard downdraft wind that would push the sails into the water.

A modern cruising monohull design can not be capsized by the wind. When they capsize, it is because of large waves, which means they will right themselves again either all by themselves immediately, or by the next wave.

The pressure from the wind into the sails is partly released with any heel angle, so it’s not on-off, it is a gradual function from full on at 0 degrees heel to zero pressure at 90 degrees heel. Normally the keel will be enough to stop further heel long before 90 degrees is reached.

I don’t have my documentation at hand but I believe that our boat will right itself even when its heeling 130 degrees which is mostly upside down.

I don’t doubt your boat would recover from a capsize. I do doubt that your boat wouldn’t get knocked down with the mast contacting the water in a 90+kt wind on the beam with full sails up.
I’ve seen monohulls go spreader to mast down in a 90+kt gust with bare poles. Captains reported their masts hit the water. Now with full sails up?
Old 08-08-2022, 19:36   #98

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Cat capsizes off Croatia

Don’t know as the worse I’ve had is the side deck submerged, water over the port lights (if I recall correctly) and sails in the water barely stayed with the boat in a microburst

It was over in about 5 years by my subjective time and was a bit scary, pants weren’t brown but should have been

No idea how far over I was as it was off the inclinometer but no rudder was in the water and I just had to wait it out, about 5 years

Totally unexpected and no warning of any time to do anything. Full sails up and hanging on for dear life.no corrective action could be taken at that point.

Note I have a tiny boat but suspect that a larger boat with more sail area might have had a different outcome.

This was not on Lake Superior which I would have expected but on lake Pepin which is normally fairly benign.

At the time there were minimal waves and the wind was mild, mid teens. Nice sunny day, nice day sailing then shtf.

Just my single data point on a small c&c

YMMV
Old 09-08-2022, 04:02   #99

Boat: Hanse 531

Has anyone found more information about this?

Here's a Google translate from an older article:

Quote:
A French catamaran overturned near Olib: "The castaways fired signal rockets"

OILIB - In the afternoon of Wednesday, July 27, at the MRCC (Maritime rescue coordination center) Rijeka, an eyewitness report was received about the observed signals of distress (flare flares), while at the same time a radio signal was registered (emergency position beacon / EPIRB). , sent from the vessel named "Oktant", the flag of the Republic of France, with four crew members, two of whom are minors. The catamaran overturned in a position between the islands of Planik and Olib, and immediately after the report, the rescue ship of the Zadar Port Authority and the ship of the Zadar Maritime and Airport Police Station (PPAP Zadar) were dispatched to a coordinated search and rescue operation.

Given that just after the start of the search, MRCC Rijeka received a call from an eyewitness about two SUP rowers in the sea in front of Privlaka, the officials of LK Zadar were redirected to the search in that area.

Upon arriving at the location of the overturned catamaran, the police officers pulled the four-member shipwrecked family out of the sea, all citizens of the Republic of France, and transported them to Zadar, where they were taken for preventive medical treatment by the emergency medical services, which successfully completed the rescue operation.

Officials of LK Zadar, upon completion of the search for paddlers of SUPs, after they were not found and after no missing reports were received, conducted an investigation at the position of the overturned catamaran, determined that there was no pollution of the sea and ordered the owner to urgently remove the vessel commercially, which represents a potential safety hazard for maritime traffic in that area.

From the jurisdiction of the Port Authority of Zadar, a notice about the position of the catamaran was sent to all participants in maritime traffic yesterday through the Coastal Radio Station, ORP Rijeka-radio.

An appeal to sailors and recreationists at sea

The Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure appeals to conscientiously comply with the regulations on safe navigation, monitoring weather forecasts and checking the adequate equipment of vessels before sailing, in order to prevent unwanted maritime accidents.
https://morski.hr/2022/07/28/kod-oli...gnalne-rakete/
Old 11-09-2022, 02:13   #100

Loved reading this- there are better sailors than me here for sure. Owning a new boat is a steep learning curve. I flipped a Corsair trimaran -35 minutes into its maiden voyage! Maybe a record for righting off a new boat. It was off the Europa Point in Gibraltar sailing to my home port in Spain. I got caught in the death zone, the wind backed 100 degrees and went from 8kts to 30kts (due to wind sheer off the steep cliff) The previous owner had shouted to me as I left earlier “watch out for Europa Point” - I had no idea what to watch out for.. Orcas maybe? I beared away as you should, the speed went up, I beared away some more, I was now flying, the wind seemed to be following me round….and increasing -it dug a hull and over it went. full insurance job. Thank god I didn’t have my young family with me like this guy. I still have a Hobie and I use it as much as my Yacht. But, I not all is transferable, but I agree it a great teasing ground. I now -mostly solo on my 40’ , 9 ton cat- Off Algeria I got caught in a water sour in August. Inwasbactaully napping. I simply let go the traveller and gib sheet and point up super quick. (What constituted up was changing minute by minute) I cranked both engines on, set the auto pilot to steer at 0 degrees wind angle and dropped the main, it always set to drop in 5 secs. For me I wont sail me Nautitech like a Hobie, wind shift, wave height, even avoiding a navigation bouy could be the added factor that in a big blow tips you or break something. For any sailor who is confused by dead zones, take my advise-lose all wind power oand become a motor boat for a bit until sanity returns. Outremers are amazing but I note they have the same beam as my Cat which 9’ shorter.
Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:28   #101

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2427.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	264274
Old 11-09-2022, 02:29   #102

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2426.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	264275
Old 12-09-2022, 02:02   #103
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
Loved reading this- there are better sailors than me here for sure. Owning a new boat is a steep learning curve. I flipped a Corsair trimaran -35 minutes into its maiden voyage! Maybe a record for righting off a new boat. It was off the Europa Point in Gibraltar sailing to my home port in Spain. .
That's a scary story - thanks for sharing and glad you are still sailing
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 01:46   #104

Boat: Aloa 27

Quote:
Another performance cat that flipped while being singlehanded.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/news/w...et-rock-139690
An ORC 50, amazing how high she is floating.

It just depend of what kind of boat is it. One is an "voyage" or charter boat, the ORC was in race and qualification configuration.
Phil_Fr17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, Croatia, size