Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 11:45   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
case of beer for a favor in Annopolis!!!

Hi all. Just received a call from the manager where my boat is slipped on back creek. One of my bow lines has worked lose and the boat is able to hit the dock. I live in pittsburgh and can't get down there right away. Looking for someone willing to stop down at watergate village on back creek and tie her up again. Ill get you a case of beer the next time we are down, or a bottle of rum. Pm me please. Thanks so much in advance, you all are awesome!

Matt
subquanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:08   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: case of beer for a favor in Annopolis!!!

did you offer the case of beer to the guy who called you?
Old 21-12-2013, 12:13   #3

Yes. He said they are not allowed to touch the boats or lines because of liabilty issues. Makes me sad for our society.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:17   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by subquanta View Post
Yes. He said they are not allowed to touch the boats or lines because of liabilty issues. Makes me sad for our society.
Time to move on to better places!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 12:39   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It is a sad commentary of marina life. In our club last summer a real violent squall came through and tore loose a couple of roller furled gennys. A few of us who were around went and dropped the sails and then called the owners. They'd have done the same for us if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 21-12-2013, 16:57   #6

I want to say thanks to everyone who offered to help me out. Every one of you are awesome.
Old 21-12-2013, 17:10   #7

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

Sounds like you got it taken care of. If not let me know; I'm just a couple blocks from Watergate Village.
Old 21-12-2013, 17:24   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subquanta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Time to move on to better places!
Yup!...probably some pencil-neck making stupid rules...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 19:10   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hard to believe that not one of your neighboring boats would automatically do this for you. We've been gone from the states for quite a while, but when we were live aboards in the SF bay area we often did such tasks for other boats, as did all the other folks around. We've contributed spare dock lines, moved fenders and generally tried to do what we would have done if it were our boat. No one ever complained...

Is this callousness an East coast thing, or has the yottie scene really deteriorated this far everywhere in the USA?

Jim
Old 21-12-2013, 19:21   #10

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

My experience has been that folks are very wary of boarding or even adjusting lines without explicit owner permission due to liability issues. Not sure if it's an East Coast thing or just general litigiousness of society today. I'll say that I'm careful about who I ask to check my lines if I'm away because I've seen "very experienced" sailors not do a good job with lines. As I like to say, "just because you've been doing something for 40 years doesn't mean you've been doing it right." But I try to help others whenever I can because I believe in boat karma.
Old 21-12-2013, 19:45   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
My experience has been that folks are very wary of boarding or even adjusting lines without explicit owner permission due to liability issues. Not sure if it's an East Coast thing or just general litigiousness of society today. I'll say that I'm careful about who I ask to check my lines if I'm away because I've seen "very experienced" sailors not do a good job with lines. As I like to say, "just because you've been doing something for 40 years doesn't mean you've been doing it right." But I try to help others whenever I can because I believe in boat karma.
Ibelieve you are in the only place in the world that is like that. Here we all help each other without using lawyers to communicate the terms

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 20:06   #12

Several of my experiences have me leaning towards Rabbit's opinion. I won't hesitate when I see something amiss on an unattended boat although there have been times it was made known to me the owners were unappreciative or even furious for my efforts.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 20:48   #13

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

It is a Sad day when one fears lending a helping hand to someone unknowingly in need but unfortunately it's reality that litigation looms over us constantly.......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 20:52   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningRabbit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hard to believe that not one of your neighboring boats would automatically do this for you. We've been gone from the states for quite a while, but when we were live aboards in the SF bay area we often did such tasks for other boats, as did all the other folks around. We've contributed spare dock lines, moved fenders and generally tried to do what we would have done if it were our boat. No one ever complained...

Is this callousness an East coast thing, or has the yottie scene really deteriorated this far everywhere in the USA?

Jim
As you can see Jim, things may be a little different on the east coast. Living and boating on the left coast found me side by side with harbor personal securing boats whose owners were absent during high winds and such. I know on an earlier thread here, was a topic about halyards clanging while liveaboards are trying to sleep. There was a controversy about going onboard other peoples boats to secure halyards. The people who were dead set against it were generally from the east coast.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 20:56   #15

Boat: Fantasia 35

Jim,

All is as it was when you where here in the SF Bay area. When the winds pick in the middle of the night it is common to find a live-aboard or two patrolling the docks. Just this year I know of several boats the were retied and/or moved out of harms way.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beer