Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2020, 13:40   #1

Can you fit a family of four on a budget?

My fellow knowledgeable seamen and women,

Having done my stint as crew on various sailboats over the years, the time has come to scale up and skipper a boat of my own.

Though my knowledge of cruising and water sailing">blue water sailing is limited, and I can use all the pointers I can get.

We’re a family of four, where I am the only (fairly) competent sailor. My girlfriend is willing to learn, but so far she knows little of life on a boat.

I’m looking for recommendations on a boat that I can single hand, can go offshore, ideally has a large, or two, aft cabins, 35-40 ft and won’t set me back more than £20k.

I realize this is a tall order, but I am prepared to sink at least another £5-7k into the boat. Trying to conceive my partner that sailing is not only for the wealthy.

I have trailed forums, articles, podcast etc, but have yet to find a good fit.

Appreciate all and any help!

LC
landcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 14:25   #2

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Can you fit a family of four on a budget?

Definitely can be done if you can resist the urge to bring all the comforts. I see you are in the UK-I’m not as familiar with UK designs, but we have oodles of older production boats in the US. 40,000 US $ would by you a decent mid&0s early 90s cruiser over here. If you can work with your hands and maintain things the upkeep can be very reasonable. Of course you need a survey so there are few surprises.
I sailed with a family of four on a 32 foot 1966 Pearson. Was it posh? Absolutely not, but it was some of the best times we had as a family and we learned a lot. In fact, I gifted the boat to my eldest and she loves it so much she honeymooned on it. Very good memories.
Now I’m on a 36 foot Pearson-early 80’s Pearson. It’s bullet proof, roomy and set up for extended cruising. Fridge, freezer, heat and hot water. 18,000 US$ and ongoing investments, but spread over years. It can take me anywhere and we would have thought it a palace back when I had the 32.
Survey is key and a good broker. Look at older Camper Nicholson’s, Rivals-the Rival
34 comes to mind.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 14:50   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Well:

whatever you do be sure to take her with you to approve of the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really, unless you want to be sailing that alone in 3 months
Old 25-07-2020, 00:00   #4

Thank you for the insight jpendoley! I’m actually located in Norway, but still willing to travel for a good find.

The Pearson 32 looks great. The 36 looks even better. We have less of the American builds up here, more Swedish, French and German.

How is the Pearson on longer crossings?
Old 25-07-2020, 00:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

For the budget you are going to be pressed to find twin aft cabins.

Can the children share? if so how about this with the kids sleeping in the separate stern cabin and won't be disturbed if you you stay up late:

https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...33-mkii/639968

We had teenage brother and sister and you know how they get along together in sweet harmony The solution was a bow and stern cabin, one in each at opposite ends of the boat. That was just about acceptable, so we bought a Moody 31. Viv and I slept in the saloon. Now they have grown up and left home we are back to having the boat to ourselves plus dog, hurray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4375615.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	219935  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 03:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
For the budget you are going to be pressed to find twin aft cabins.

Can the children share? if so how about this with the kids sleeping in the separate stern cabin and won't be disturbed if you you stay up late:

https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...33-mkii/639968

We had teenage brother and sister and you know how they get along together in sweet harmony The solution was a bow and stern cabin, one in each at opposite ends of the boat. That was just about acceptable, so we bought a Moody 31. Viv and I slept in the saloon. Now they have grown up and left home we are back to having the boat to ourselves plus dog, hurray
Sharing is absolutely an option, and likely the solution. Kids are still small so won’t be a problem. I’m 6’2 which is more of a challenge, but I have accepted the fact that I will likely need to crouch no matter what.

The Moody is a good option. How are they on longer, cross ocean legs?
Old 25-07-2020, 04:02   #7

From what I remember, Moodys are solid cruising boats. Pete7 should chime in on this, as he lives in the UK and would be more (currently) familiar with local British marks.

I sailed countless miles in a Westerly Fulmar and they are gorgeous offshore boats. There were 5 Adults onboard, so two adults and 2 kids would be a snap.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 04:32   #8

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Has the girlfriend sailed? Be sure she is tolerant of the discomforts and downsides of life aboard before spending the money. Otherwise it is YOUR boat and will be a source of significant friction.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 05:14   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcrab View Post
The 33 series, Mk1, Mk2, 333 and 33s have a really good reputation and were very popular cruising yachts before the big French and German yards swallowed up the market. Interior is Formica. Later Moodys were Teak faced plywood. However, for a cruising yacht with a family the Formica is a very sensible easy to clean option.

Quite quick as well, canoe shaped underwater with fin keel, though some with twin keels, if you keep them upright, light with good sails and a clean bottom they will go well. I know long keels are popular on this forum, by I am not a fan preferring fin and skeg hung rudder.

When launched someone described them perhaps unfairly as a floating caravan compared to the likes of a contessa 32. Buyers thought differently and wanted the huge increase in space, so they sold well.

Some good photos on Yachtsnet archives with more details:

https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives...3/moody-33.htm

Plus active owners association.
https://moodyowners.org/

Older Westerlies also worth considering, but Fulmar whilst an super yacht to sail lacks the rear cabin which is a shame and the next up a Discuss likely more money.

Another M33 here:

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...-33-mk1/315868
Old 25-07-2020, 05:26   #10

Boat: Tartan 40

Oldie but goodie with twin quarterberths. Probably a bit cramped

Name:	IMG_8692.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	219944
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 05:43   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just thinking about other options how about this, although it will take all of your budget:

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1826246/

Did my Coastal Skippers ticket on one. Beautiful yachts to sail and steer even in confined marinas. A rough channel crossing was a hoot and very enjoyable fast sail all very confidence inspiring. Popular with sea schools and stood up well to heavy usage and clumsy novices. Would have bought one but no lift or bilge keel option. Built by Marine Projects, who also built the Moody range.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S36.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	219945  
Old 25-07-2020, 08:51   #12

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Also any 3/4 tonner (old IOR measurement; not a weight) - and more on Sigmas
https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives...6/sigma-36.htm
Any good broker will find a 3/4 quickly, including Scandinavia and Baltic/Netherlands/France

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 08:58   #13

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Just thinking about other options how about this, although it will take all of your budget:

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1826246/

Did my Coastal Skippers ticket on one. Beautiful yachts to sail and steer even in confined marinas. A rough channel crossing was a hoot and very enjoyable fast sail all very confidence inspiring. Popular with sea schools and stood up well to heavy usage and clumsy novices. Would have bought one but no lift or bilge keel option. Built by Marine Projects, who also built the Moody range.

Pete
Good candidate except for the standing rigging which should have been replaced four years ago (maybe a red flag regarding other proper maintenance) Given the OP's limited budget and crew experience, I'm thinking he needs a fairly benign sailing ground. Western Europe is not such a place. The only places I can think of where he could find the deal he needs are the Rio Dulce and the PI which are unfortunately a long way from Norway and he doesn't have the budget to touch any of the Norwegian boats, HR, Fajad and Malo which would be perfect for four people. Perhaps he should consider chartering until he builds up the boat kitty a bit. That way, at least he'll know if anybodies just not into it.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 09:19   #14

Quote:
Sharing is absolutely an option, and likely the solution. Kids are still small so won’t be a problem. I’m 6’2 which is more of a challenge, but I have accepted the fact that I will likely need to crouch no matter what.

You need something with 6'3" headroom - this is not negotiable as you'll not be happy crouched over all the time. You'll get enough boat yoga without suffering through that.
Old 25-07-2020, 10:00   #15

Quote:

Check this one out https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/boats/r10720/r10720.htm At the top of your budget and a bit long in the tooth, but hey, it's something you could swing budget wise and easily has enough space for your mob. Note: I don't care for the traveler arrangement bisecting the cockpit and the intermediate stays are due for replacement - but all boats come with some compromises (unless you've got a massive budget and build your own) And this one appears that you could stand up in her at least.

Tags
budget, family