Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 10:37   #1

Beginner Boat Recommendations for Lake Sailing

I live in a landlocked state and have a few cabins on a local reservoir with water under my docks 5 months of the year. I've got a 22' pontoon that I keep on the lift and a small fishing boat that I'm working on refurbishing. There aren't many sailboats on my lake.

I'm looking at getting into sailing, but my reservoir is maybe 20 miles long and narrow in places. The width of the lake, bends, and motor traffic make it less than ideal with the exception of the areas around my docks. I have direct access to one of the widest portions of the lake.

I've done some small sailing on hobie cats on the ocean and large catamarans down in Mexico as a passenger. I really enjoyed those experiences and want to start sailing as a hobby.

What's my best bet for an easily trailer-able boat? I think it'd be cool to get one with a cabin because sleeping and cooking on the boat for a weekend may convince my wife and kids to join me on some local lake excursions. I've considered a Hunter 25 or a MacGregor 26 (Don't say it, I know how that boat is perceived), but perhaps those are too cumbersome to launch often. Most of the lakes here are relatively small, shallow, and rocky in some cases....lack of wind can be an issue in the late Summer.

Are there other boats I should consider that can be hauled and launched fairly easily by a 1/2 ton pickup truck? Should I forget the cabin and stick with something in the 15' range?
scarpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 11:53   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2
Re: Beginner Boat Recommendations for Lake Sailing

Some friends of mine seasonally lake sail a Hunter 260 and seem to have fun camping some weekends with the kids. They do have a marina on their lake, which is the only way I would do it.

My experience trailering another friend's Wright Potter 19 is that the towing, setup and tear down are a huge pain and a significant discouragement to going out for a few hours. He's keeping that boat in a marina on the river next season, too.

I started with an old Mutineer 15 at the end of my dock on a small lake. It was so cheap and easy to get into, sailed on a breath of wind, and I learned a lot. I'd start as small as that and see if you can get your kids interested. If that works out, upgrading from there should be an easy sell.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 12:53   #3

A Hunter 260 looks about right. I also found a few 240's that are priced pretty good, but nothing nearby.

I agree having it on the water is far more convenient. I just need a boat that comes with a trailer so I can pull it out before the levels in the reservoir drop each Fall.
scarpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:33   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpozzi View Post
I also found a few 240's that are priced pretty good, but nothing nearby.
My friends live in Colorado, purchased their Hunter in Georgia, and had it shipped for a reasonable price. A definite trailerable boat advantage.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 13:15   #5

If you must launch each time then a 18-24 footer with a cuddy cabin would be fun. You can find some with freestanding mast making it simple to launch and go. Cat boats, Freedom built boats, and others.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/freedom-21-slp
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/freedom-24-tripp

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 16:11   #6

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

I own a Sandpiper 565 (18.5 feet) and a Tanzer 22. I have been out for weeks at a time on both.

The Tanzer has more room, more seaworthy, faster, but harder to launch, harder to get the mast up. The Sandpiper has the opposite features. I try real hard to launch the Tanzer once a season, but I'd consider launch and retrieval of the Sandpiper for short durations, maybe even a weekend, but not a day.

You need to think realistically about what factors you need to optimize.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:35   #7

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

Look at a Catalina 22. Thousands were built and still sailing. Still great factory support ie parts and a great owners association.
www.catalina22.org
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:05   #8

Boat: CLC Skerry

You might want to look at a Sea Pearl 28. Go to <sailboatdata.com> for specs. I own this one and it is up for sale: https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1993...pearl-7238385/. PM me with any questions.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:06   #9

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

I secound the hunter 260 water ballast. I’ve had 4 different trailerable sailboats and have a friend with the 260. His is faster and more roomy than any I had. Get one with a wheel and tilt outboard and have a blast. You can raise dagger and pull it right on a beach. Easy to trailer and made for trailering. If I ever did it again that’s what I would get. If you get a cramped small one wife and kids won’t like it as much.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 10:12   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat34shamrock View Post
Look at a Catalina 22. Thousands were built and still sailing. Still great factory support ie parts and a great owners association.
www.catalina22.org
Ditto! I believe you may be trying to stick ten lbs. of sh#t in a five pound bag. A Catalina 22 is easy to launch and retrieve. You may not have all you would like but having to much boat on a trailer might take your weekend getting it on and off.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:30   #11

Boat: Catalina 320

Some trailers—-like from Catalina——have built-in facility for erecting the mast...a gin pole at the hitch. Quick-disconnects on shrouds also help.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 11:06   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
I live in a landlocked state and have a few cabins on a local reservoir with water under my docks 5 months of the year. I've got a 22' pontoon that I keep on the lift and a small fishing boat that I'm working on refurbishing. There aren't many sailboats on my lake.

I'm looking at getting into sailing, but my reservoir is maybe 20 miles long and narrow in places. The width of the lake, bends, and motor traffic make it less than ideal with the exception of the areas around my docks. I have direct access to one of the widest portions of the lake.

I've done some small sailing on hobie cats on the ocean and large catamarans down in Mexico as a passenger. I really enjoyed those experiences and want to start sailing as a hobby.

What's my best bet for an easily trailer-able boat? I think it'd be cool to get one with a cabin because sleeping and cooking on the boat for a weekend may convince my wife and kids to join me on some local lake excursions. I've considered a Hunter 25 or a MacGregor 26 (Don't say it, I know how that boat is perceived), but perhaps those are too cumbersome to launch often. Most of the lakes here are relatively small, shallow, and rocky in some cases....lack of wind can be an issue in the late Summer.

Are there other boats I should consider that can be hauled and launched fairly easily by a 1/2 ton pickup truck? Should I forget the cabin and stick with something in the 15' range?
I think for a smallish lake I'd stick with something with a shallow draft. The Corsair trimarans (which are trailerable) with the folding amas would be a good choice and they come in a variety of sizes but tend to be fairly expensive (probably four times the price of a McGregor) The Corsair 31's would have enough cabin space for 2 or 3 people overnight and have mini galleys and heads.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 11:33   #13

I had a Tanzer 22 with a retractable keel which came with a trailer. It was a great starter boat for me. Very durable when caught in winds. I felt very safe on her. ( I solo sail). Because of the mast you can't put her the trailer and explore different lakes. Not like other smaller boat. But you can sleep on her..more like camping on a boat.
sondra elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 13:32   #14

Boat: O'Day Mariner 19

Quote:
Should I forget the cabin and stick with something in the 15' range?
Can’t comment on whether you want to drop the cabin, but if you end up in the 15 foot range, the Catalina 14.2 is a great little boat. Many of the controls of a larger boat (fun and good for learning), turns on a dime (tested by zigzagging through kayakers in narrow spaces on several occasions), moves in very light air, inexpensive to buy and maintain, fits 6 easily, and got my wife and young kids initiated and engaged. It is also super easy to tow and launch and maneuver on the trailer by hand...though I agree I probably would use it more if at a dock. (If interested, I’m also selling mine soon to move up to a bigger boat...though that fact may instead inspire you to go bigger too!)
barquinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 14:13   #15

Boat: Endeavour 40

If you can find one, take a look at an O'Day 192. 11" draft with keel up. Good weekender, but we did a couple week-long trips also (although I'd say too small for a whole week with kids). That was our starter boat on a lake very similar to the one you have described.
Lizzym4678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, sail, sailing