Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 19:14   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Beginner Boat Recommendations for Lake Sailing

You might consider the SIREN 17. Its an awesome boat. Easily trailered. Super shallow draft. BIG boat for the size. Cabin for sleeping/storage. Inexpensive to buy.

We had a Siren for the last couple summers and it was tons and tons of fun. I pulled it around with my little honda FIT. From arrival at the marina (towed) it was maybe 30 minutes till we were launched, rigged, and ready to sail away.

The shallow draft will serve you well...pull it right up on the beach if you want. We had a little honda 2.3hp for when the wind was wrong or missing...plenty of power, used only ounces of fuel. We often had 4 adults aboard. 2 people could sleep in the little cabin. We would bring our camping gear, and some of us would sleep in tents ashore, while 1 or 2 slept on the boat. There is plenty of space for all the gear/packs/tents/stuff/etc. We brought a Origo 1500 single burner stove for cooking, but never on the boat. We had 3 anchors and loved anchoring to swim/play/relax.

We took good care of our boat and trailer, and when it was time to sell, we easily got all our money back.

We sailed it on Lake Ontario, and although its just a little boat, we sometimes went out in 20 knots of wind and 1 metre waves...and always felt safe and in control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1303.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	209572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1328.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	209573  

Name:	DSCF1401.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	209574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1448.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	209575  

Name:	DSCF1460.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	209576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing Charter C&C30 031.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	209577  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 20:25   #17

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpozzi View Post
What's my best bet for an easily trailer-able boat?
If you want to simplify experience of trailer-sailing, look for one where the centerboard or daggerboard goes completely into the hull. Without a stub keel, for those are difficult to load on a trailer. For that reason, a very nice Precision 23 would be a workout to get loaded on its trailer. MacGregors, by the way, are easy to launch and retrieve.

Another consideration is, you may want to take it to an ocean one day, so plan accordingly. My personal favorite is a Seaward 26 RK. You can sail one easily off shore if you want to. Catalina 25 is another possibility. You can manage week-long trips on them with a family. A 22-footer may be adequate for one person, but a bit small for a family.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 22:35   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Catalina 25 is another possibility. You can manage week-long trips on them with a family. A 22-footer may be adequate for one person, but a bit small for a family.
FWIW: My ex-wife and I and two small kids spent a whole month sailing in the Canadian Gulf Islands in our Catalina 22. Wonderful time, great adventure which led me, in the long run, to the 34 years of full time cruising that Ann (current wife!) and I have enjoyed. Side note: that family group had done some not-too-serious camping before, and the Cat 22 seemed quite comfortable and luxurious compared to those experiences.

Now, for the OP: for your first venture into the world of sailing, I'd start with a day sailor type boat rather than something with sleep aboard accommodations. My own first boat was an O'day Osprey, a fifteen foot relative of the ubiquitous O'day Daysailor. Either of those fine little boats will get you out sailing with very little investment, and if you don't trash the boat, you'll be able to get most if not all of your investment back in a year or two when it is time to move up. There are plenty of similar craft around, and any of them will teach you the basics of sailing, sail trim, and simple maintenance, all without the added complexity of even a 20+ foot cabin type trailer sailor. Much easier to launch and retrieve, too. We kept ours 18 months and sold it for the same price we had paid for it... in one week!

Jim
Old 27-02-2020, 07:25   #19

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've not got a budget for this yet and am just now saving up cash (started 2 weeks ago). I'd like to keep it under $10k, but may aim lower with the expectation of new rigging right off the bat.

I like the concept of going small to launch and learn easier....as well as making it easier to sell when I decide to unload it. The appeal of the MacGregor 26 was all about the sleek look, cabin, and potential for resale. I'm going to check out the running list and start research on these.

Thanks again.
scarpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, sail, sailing