Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 20:22   #1

Boat: 1985 38CC Endeavour and 1978 Columbia 8.3 27
Lake Texoma Beginner Sailor 38 Endeavour Feb 20,21

Hi i just purchased a fixer upper 38 Endeavour CC in Lake Texoma and will be working on it Feb 20 to the 23rd and would like to take it out for a sail and if anyone in the area has some sailing i could use the help. I've only sailed once before but plan on fixing this boat up and sailing the world later this year. So if anyone is interested let me know. Matthew
Old 13-02-2016, 14:44   #2

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint
Re: Lake Texoma Beginner Sailor 38 Endeavour Feb 20,21

Hello Matthew, First: "Congratulations" on your new Endeavour! You say "a fixer upper", but wait; I just checked a sailing dictionary and the word "sailboat" is defined as "a fixer upper", I'd reckon starting at about 30 minutes after being first put in the water. (any "old salts" can feel free to correct me if they feel otherwise).

And while I'm by no means "an old salt" (yet, working on it), but sounds like I've collected a bit more sailing that you've gotten, so far at least. I was out 30 days/2000 nm last year and am officially at ASA103. (We can discuss later about my suggestions for a good, cost effective, approach that you might want to consider for your sailing education - I'm all about education.)

So that said, it would be a bit of a 'road trip' to get to Lake Toxemia from Wyoming, but who doesn't love a road trip (I've driven much further for much less). I'd love to see your Endeavour, in part because I also used to own an Endeavour 36', a 1980 built. I see your's is five years newer, I'll be curious to see the differences.

Plus it's winter in Wyoming, so a long weekend in Texas, sailing, sounds pretty darned nice right now. At this point, you're talking about next weekend, let me see on my end and will PM as/if this becomes workable.

Thanks in advance,
John (landlocked in Wyoming, temporarily, and it's just now warming to above freezing)
Old 13-02-2016, 14:55   #3

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

I'm close by (DFW) and I too own an Endevour, If you bought the one that was on Texoma that i saw Wooooosh thats a ton of work!!! PM me your plans and i will see if i can get up there to help you get going!
Old 13-02-2016, 19:28   #4

Thanks John for the reply, My new boat is in rough shape on the inside, the outside isn't to bad, just needs some buffing and wax for now which i plan on doing when i get there. I bought it as a bank repo for a good price and am a expert DIYer so the work is no problem for me. I currently have a 1978 Columbia i've been working on but decided i wanted a bigger boat and got lucky and found this one.

I live in Edgewood Nm which is about 10 hours away but i go where the deals are my last columbia came from Austin Tx. I built a custom trailer for it and towed it home.

I understand the cold i live in the mountains and were just thawing out from this winters cold and snow. The snow is mostly melted but its still a muddy mess everywhere. Were not as cold as Montana but its still cold so Texas will be a nice change being that its in the 70s.

Well let me know if you want to go, i'm about 90 percent sure that i'm going to just waiting on one thing to be sure but more than likely i'm going, if anything changes ill let you know. I should know more by monday or tuesday.
Old 13-02-2016, 19:37   #5

Yes Genesis its probably the one you saw that was a bank repo for sale at cedar mills marina. I cleaned it up a bit when i was there but it wasn't officially mine so i didn't clean it that well. When i go back next time i plan on working on it most of the time except for when i'm out sailing it.

I'm a youtuber and plan on documenting everything, i already made my first video of it so ill post it here so you can see if its the same one but it probably is.

I just bought a DJI phantom 3 drone so i can take aerial footage next time i go and make better youtube videos.

heres my video on the 38cc Endeavour
Old 14-02-2016, 13:55   #6

Nice video Mathew!!! Yes that is the boat I saw, (online only) Cedar mills marina is about 1.5 hr drive for me (easy) My only issue for me is work! I'm being asked and paid for a lot of hours. I can definitely help with the sailing and fixing up part as i too can work on/fix/ anything! I have my 101, 103, and 104 ASA cert. and currently own an Endevour 40'. Also have a couple gopro's if your wanting to document a ton! I'm going to PM you my phone # and you can call or text me. i would like to know your plans/ idea's because we probably have a simular plan to some extent!
Old 16-02-2016, 15:43   #7

I checked predict wind...calling for southwinds at 5-10kn on Saturday, Hope its closer to 10.
Old 16-02-2016, 21:22   #8

Last time i was there it was really windy in the evening. It will probably be calm in the morning and pick up speed later in the day, especially with a storm moving in sunday.
Old 17-02-2016, 09:27   #9

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Have just PM'd - I wouldn't get there in time on Saturday (late Sat PM), but glad to join in work activities on Sun/Mon (& will bring rain gear as Sun sounds stormy). Details in PM.

Tags
endeavour, sail