Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 12:54   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Bahamas Lionfish

I have a friend in the Keys who regularly spear fishes, and it is not uncommon for him to get between 15-30 a trip.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:04   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

I agree with Mark that killing them isn't going to help much. It is fun and they taste good grilled in butter. But less than 1% of their habitat is visited by humans so killing them isn't a viable extermination plan.

I fear there is no way to get rid of them but if you spear some try feeding a few juveniles to the groupers. In the Pacific, grouper eat lion fish. There is no reason they could not learn the same in the Caribe.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:11   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I have a standing bounty for them with the fisherman near me. I pay $1 per, of any size. Plus while diving or. Snorkeling I always take a gun to kill as many of them as I can. Over the last few years the numbers seem to be falling, but there are still plenty of them.

I may not be able to stop the problem, but I can't try to keep it from getting worse.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:26   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I just read an article that stated they believe snapper are eating lion fish. If this is true, good news

Supposedly nothing eats them, but I have a video I took a few years ago of a Moray stalking and taking a chunk out of one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 13:35   #20

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Supposedly nothing eats them, but I have a video I took a few years ago of a Moray stalking and taking a chunk out of one
Apparently some studies have shown that large lionfish actually prey on smaller lionfish, but their dorsal spines would seem to keep them from being a preferred prey item for any predator.

Unfortunately once invasive species become established to the point that lionfish are now along the US Atlantic coast, Gulf and Caribbean there's little that can be done beyond continual control (spearing, fishing, etc.).
Old 11-01-2014, 10:30   #21

Can't you eat those awful things? I think I saw Andrew Zimmern eating one...
Seafrontiersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:38   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I agree with Mark that killing them isn't going to help much. It is fun and they taste good grilled in butter. But less than 1% of their habitat is visited by humans so killing them isn't a viable extermination plan.

I fear there is no way to get rid of them but if you spear some try feeding a few juveniles to the groupers. In the Pacific, grouper eat lion fish. There is no reason they could not learn the same in the Caribe.
I've read everything that Dr. James Morris has written (the foremost marine biologist studying them in the Carolinas) and so far no one has come up with a viable way to commercially fish for them. In one of his articles he pointed out that Atlantic grouper will starve before they will try to eat a lionfish. Anyone that figures this out will make a fortune. The biologists studying them don't even know how to scuba dive, but hire divers to help them with their research.

Lionfish reproduce prodigiously, have no natural predators and can eat half their weight in juvenile reef fish per day. In NC, the larger ones that are good eating size are found at depths where scuba diving to spear them isn't profitable even if 25 pounds per dive are speared. It's pretty easy to get stung trying to spear a bunch of them on one dive, guys I've talked to that have experienced a sting say it is painful beyond imagination. An exotic delicacy, some local restaurants will pay $18 a pound in the Outer Banks for them. The government is trying various ways to coax lionfish into being taken by traps or hook and line, without success thus far.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman View Post
Can't you eat those awful things? I think I saw Andrew Zimmern eating one...
You should read page 1 of this thread.

Tags
Bahamas, fish