Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 03:07   #61

Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

We already have to pay for water
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 03:25   #62

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
We already have to pay for water
Water is already a serious issue...there are large investments being made in water rights...the scenarios concoted about oxygen are close to becoming reality for water in some areas.

Aha, maybe thats YouTube's evil plan...they will use the proceeds from de-monetizing the little guy to buy up massive water rights...to gain access to water you must exceed the 10K views limit...screwed by da man again! [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 03:32   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Let's see... Will no monetization on YouTube make your boat sink? I guess that really depends on if you were planning on using that revenue to buy a bilge pump or maybe fix a leak.

When I originally posted this thread it was removed because the ops didn't think that it was sailing related. Thanks to the mod who decided it was worth putting back up so we could discuss things.
Sometimes the mod team/mod removes a thread for internal discussion.

All moderation is done by consensus. It was felt that technically it was not boating related as in "about boats", but was boating related as in boaters using YOUTUBE as a platform for whatever reason boating related.

A fair few of the mods are professionals in a variety of capacities, and we are pro boating primarily by choice. For this reason, ALL of us, err on the side of threads being allowed if have a good rationale behind them and is boating related even by a hair

We are bound by the admin directions for the CF site. We will hold something back for discussion and then re instate if all in agreement. We do this quickly.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 03:48   #64

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Sometimes the mod team/mod removes a thread for internal discussion.

All moderation is done by consensus. It was felt that technically it was not boating related as in "about boats", but was boating related as in boaters using YOUTUBE as a platform for whatever reason boating related.

A fair few of the mods are professionals in a variety of capacities, and we are pro boating primarily by choice. For this reason, ALL of us, err on the side of threads being allowed if have a good rationale behind them and is boating related even by a hair

We are bound by the admin directions for the CF site. We will hold something back for discussion and then re instate if all in agreement. We do this quickly.

Interesting evolution in the history of sailing...from enginelss trading vessels with no electronics...to YouTube being sailing related.

Can one be considered a "true cruiser" if they have less than 10K YouTube views?

[emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 03:52   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Interesting evolution in the history of sailing...from enginelss trading vessels with no electronics...to YouTube being sailing related.

Can one be considered a "true cruiser" if they have less than 10K YouTube views?

[emoji6]
Can CF be considered sailing related?
Same reasoning...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 04:30   #66

Boat: Pearson 33-2

10,000 total channel views is a chip shot for YouTubers with good content and editing. I'm two months in to a YouTube experiment, with very specific and boring content, piss poor editing, and terrible presentation (I'm 100% uncomfortable in front of a camera), and I'm over 8k views with two videos. I doubt that we would monetize once we meet the threshold, since our goal is to sell our products...not someone else's. Now, if for some reason we ended up filming something that had the potential to go viral (highly unlikely), it would be a poor financial decision to not monetize.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:05   #67

nice bit of advertising there, i would be surprised if you did not get another 2k viewers from that ,, and good luck.. ( will check out you vids later )
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:08   #68

Boat: Aloha 34

I'm not sure how much revenue people generate from monetizing their YouTube channels, but I must say, I do like the associated crowd funding models like Patreon, where viewers can decide for themselves if they like the content enough to contribute as they see fit. I think this is a great way forward for people who are interested in making content, and for those of us who are inspired by it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:23   #69

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Most stock photography companies also have a minimum payout, which I think makes sense.

People violating other people's copyright is a growing problem, but I don't see how this policy change in anyway prevents copyright violation.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:05   #70

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Also, none of this means cruisers can't continue to post YouTube sailing videos.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 11:09   #71

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

I noticed someone mentioned YouTube Red. When you're a Red subscriber you are automatically paying the ad placement when you view a channel. Interesting to note.

As for YouTube being part of sailing. I guess it goes with all of the other things that we do on our boats. I wish that there were more people taking videos of them doing those things so that those of us who enjoy watching them might learn new ways of doing things. I had a piece of gear on the boat that I couldn't figure out for months and only this week saw it being used as an alternative to a spinnaker pole. I was sure glad I left it on the boat!

It's not so much about the money (I've got a grand total of $.030) since April from YouTube. We were planning to use the money, if enough to upgrade cameras, buy gear for the boat, and such. It's a lot harder to get people interested enough to let the ad even play in the first place than you would think. As I said in my earlier posts if your not selling sex on your channel then you have a much smaller audience.

I can say that I've made some pretty neat friends this year sailing. Cam down in Venice for example. He cooked us an amazing dinner, helped us with a winch handle, and has been great all around. I'd say that alone brought a much needed rest and refresh to an otherwise very taxing trip. He made a video about it and it brought a good number of people to watch some of our videos too.

Now that we're back home we want to fix things up and share that with everyone too. However, it's a very expensive endeavor and every little thing seems to cost a fortune. We've got a main to replace (Best quote on that has been $978 and a lighter fabric than we want to go with). Peggie Hall helped us identify a head that we've blown a flapper valve on and her advice was spot on. It can't be fixed as there are not any parts available and nothing new mates up to it. I verified this with Jabsco, but she knew it before I even did my own homework. (She's got a book that I hear is well worth buying, would use the $$ for that sort of thing too). The radio died (yeah we can live without an am/fm radio). That's just a short list of expenses and as anyone else who has a boat knows that old saying BOAT=Bust out another thousand rings true.

I read on here about how much loathing there is for people who ask for folks to donate to their channels. How much of an impact do you really think donations are making for most people? Little to none unless your posting half naked girls. Not everybody can just walk away from their jobs and families to go cruising on someone else's dime. I'd venture to say that very few could do that even with a huge following. It's expensive to go anywhere, even if you're only using the motor to get into a port. You've still got to buy food, water, fuel, and something is going to break no matter how careful you are being.

Is there even a list here of CF Vloggers who are posting content? I'd enjoy seeing their videos too. If you're posting them, inbox me and I'll subscribe (and let the ads play). Knowing people are enjoying your vids is incentive to make more of them.

I think I figured out it takes about 30 hours of video to get 10 seconds of useful footage. Yeah, sometimes you are engaging your audience and that can add some time that you're not changing the view every 3-6 seconds so people don't get bored to death. Something else to think about it if you have 30+ hours of video, you're going to have to watch most of it over and over while you're editing it. There will be a lot of useless shots that will end up on the cutting table that never makes it up there for people to see.

I may have already thanked the mods for letting this thread run. It's been great seeing things through some of the other posters mindsets. Thank you CF team (I know moderation is a pain in the rear).
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:44   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
nice bit of advertising there, i would be surprised if you did not get another 2k viewers from that ,, and good luck.. ( will check out you vids later )
I can't imagine much interest in our videos from this crowd, unless they are having trouble sleeping. lol Thanks for the luck, but since it's a quality Scottish product we are hocking, it pretty much sells it's self.
Old 24-09-2017, 14:29   #73

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I can't imagine much interest in our videos from this crowd, unless they are having trouble sleeping. lol Thanks for the luck, but since it's a quality Scottish product we are hocking, it pretty much sells it's self.
Fence Man can you post a link to your channel. I would like to follow your dinghy project.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:29   #74

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
Fence Man can you post a link to your channel. I would like to follow your dinghy project.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:38   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2..._as=subscriber

This is my channel, but I haven't filmed any of the dinghy build. I will, if you think it'd be useful?