Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 21:00   #1

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Bad News for YouTube bloggers

YouTube just screwed Millions of contributors
I'm sure by now many of you who have YouTube accounts have realized that if you had less than 10,000 lifetime views on your channel your monetization has vanished. Back in April of 2017 YouTube announced that they were going to make this change to stop people from copying other's content and getting paid from views on their channels.
So Let's get this right? YouTube is saying that those with over 10,000 views don't steal content? Or maybe, they're saying that those with less than 10,000 views steal content? I just don't get it.
YouTube more than has the resources to check every video for copyright content and partner with BMG, BMI, and every other greedy group out there to remove your content because some lousy song was playing in the background while you were trying to record original content.
Life happens right? I just can't see people working so hard to make sure that there isn't anything on a TV in the room or playing on a radio at the red light. Get a life YouTube and stop hurting the little guy so you can continue to run ads in their channel without paying them for their work.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 21:07   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

10,000 total views is about $15 or less total for the channel. I'm sure it is more about accounting not wanting to have to collect all the IRS data.

Matt
Old 22-09-2017, 07:36   #3

By the measure of simple percentages is YouTube a monopoly?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 07:42   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

One of the options you have with YouTube is to not watch it and not post on it. They have a right to run their business as they see fit just as you have a right to run your business as you see fit.
Old 22-09-2017, 07:54   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I'm with funjohnson on this. Just removing underperforming accounts from the finacialization portion of thier business model. Amazon does the same thing with their affiliates.
Old 22-09-2017, 08:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
YouTube more than has the resources to check every video for copyright content and partner with BMG, BMI, and every other greedy group out there.....
In fact they have active algorithms already that patrol uploads all the time, automatically. Whatever one assumes this to be about, it isn't about low level piracy.
Old 22-09-2017, 11:39   #7

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
YouTube just screwed Millions of contributors
I'm sure by now many of you who have YouTube accounts have realized that if you had less than 10,000 lifetime views on your channel your monetization has vanished. Back in April of 2017 YouTube announced that they were going to make this change to stop people from copying other's content and getting paid from views on their channels.
So Let's get this right? YouTube is saying that those with over 10,000 views don't steal content? Or maybe, they're saying that those with less than 10,000 views steal content? I just don't get it.
YouTube more than has the resources to check every video for copyright content and partner with BMG, BMI, and every other greedy group out there to remove your content because some lousy song was playing in the background while you were trying to record original content.
Life happens right? I just can't see people working so hard to make sure that there isn't anything on a TV in the room or playing on a radio at the red light. Get a life YouTube and stop hurting the little guy so you can continue to run ads in their channel without paying them for their work.
And this means my boat will sink?

I'm sorry mate, I don't get your banter at all.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:06   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Maybe this would be better posted on some YouTube related forum....this, in case you forgot, is a SAILING forum.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Maybe this would be better posted on some YouTube related forum....this, in case you forgot, is a SAILING forum.

I dont agree, I think its relevant, especially as there are lots of cruisers who get income that way
Old 22-09-2017, 12:13   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2016 and upcoming 2017 - Page 5 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
#post2484481

my thoughts....re this thread something for vloggers to take note of if they want revenue from their videos,indirectly it should promote coverage on platforms like facebook and cruisersforum etc as vloggers endeavour to get their view count per video above 10k

.sailing channels are really small potatoes on youtube as they in reality have a very small viewership .

IMHO it would be a loss for the sailing community if these independent producers end up not producing due to the new restrictions on revenue.

the least we can do as a community is to click like and subscribe,it costs nothing,but shows that this type of sailing video has a following.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:16   #11

Of course, if 10K views does indeed only = $15/year as posted above then whats the big loss? YouTube is not prohibiting them from posting right?

Given the effort involved to produce decent content...$15/year hardly seems worthwhile for the vlogger or YouTube.
Old 22-09-2017, 12:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
I dont agree, I think its relevant, especially as there are lots of cruisers who get income that way
Thats Ok, we dont have to agree.

I dont get the whole "buzz culture" anyway, but there is some practically useful content on YouTube also. 😆
Old 22-09-2017, 12:23   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Of course, if 10K views does indeed only = $15/year as posted above then whats the big loss? YouTube is not prohibiting them from posting right?

Given the effort involved to produce decent content...$15/year hardly seems worthwhile for the vlogger or YouTube.
this is what vlloggers aspire to as a weekly viewership,ie a 15 minute video every week,giving them a possible income of $60 a month IF they reach that threshhold.,zero if they don't under the new regulations
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:25   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

You can't monetize (sell ad space) until you hit 10k views. Thats miniscule on the scale of things. It's not per month, just a threshold you have to get past before you can take advantage of advertising scheme.
Old 22-09-2017, 12:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this is what vlloggers aspire to as a weekly viewership,ie a 15 minute video every week,giving them a possible income of $60 a month IF they reach that threshhold.,zero if they don't under the new regulations
This doesnt prevent them from doing that though right?

Just means they wont get minimal revenue till they hit that threshold.

Maybe even provide a bit of motivation to up their game to get there sooner.