Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 06:28   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
. . . It's harder though to make a fool of yourself and cause problems to others in a sailboat, yes it can and is done, but far easier to do it in a big power boat.. . .
Where I sail, the power boat drivers are actually more courteous than the sailors. The opposite of what I experienced in Florida waters.

That's a generalization, of course -- like everything else which has been said in this thread.

I don't think it's hard to be a fool in a sailboat at all. In the Solent, there are thousands of racing boats practicing at any given time, and racers over here have a completely different idea about acceptable crossing distances and appropriate collision avoidance maneuvers, from the rest of us. You really have to stay out of their way if you want to avoid shouting and near-collisions.

The other group to stay well clear of around here are commercial fishermen, for whom driving the boat safely seems to be the last thing on their minds, even when they're not fishing. About a year ago, one fishing boat got tangled in my anchor rode -- because he was fishing and the boat was driving itself with no one at the helm, no radar, no AIS alarms, no watchkeeping. And as I was untangling the gear from that incident, a second fishing boat actually collided with me. While I was at anchor

Compared to all of that, the power boaters are a breath of fresh air -- courteous, skillful, and friendly.

As several people in this thread have said -- you can't allow yourself to get aggravated, by the way other people drive their boats. Don't worry; be happy -- relax. If in doubt, just steer a wide berth. Don't worry about wakes; they are a fact of life on the water. Smile. We do this for fun, remember?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:28   #77

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

IMO the absolute worst power boat offenders are the so called professional captains that run large game fishing charter boats. These 50-70 ft monsters throw out 5 foot wakes that are steeper than any natural wave I have ever encountered. They blast through narrow channels one after the other often in trail so there is no opportunity to turn into the wave or take any other action to reduce the effect. I have had people on my boat injured by being flung of their seats despite their best efforts to hold on. I have had them pass within 20 feet of me doing 30 knots even when there was hundreds of yards of sea room. Please don't give me any BS about how they're out there earning a living, they're just huge A--holes. These so called professionals are licensed and it seems to only make them worse. I don't think licensing changes a thing. There are plenty of licensed drivers that drive like idiots and some of them are probably these same professional captains.

Now that I've had a rant about the worst offenders IMO, I would also point out that I am sometimes surprised by people that should know better. I was sailing down the ICW a couple of weekends ago just as the local sailing club was finishing up their races. The race committee launch (20ft Bostonwhaler) was picking up the marks and was motoring slowly back towards the club. They were crossing the ICW and approaching me from my port side at nearly a 90 degree angle. I was the stand on vessel both because I was sailing and I was on their starboard side, but did they stop or attempt to pass my stern? Not at all. Had I not taken evasive action I would have t-boned these idiots. You would think that race committee personnel would have at least a rudimentary understanding of the rules of the road, especially with regards to sailboats. I know the commodore of this club and next time I see him I'm going to share my experience.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:42   #78
cruiser

One significant thing I've noticed from the respondents on this thread, is that the people living full time on their boats seem to accept this behavior as just part of the game of living on the water. Whereas, those who are land-based or new to cruising seem to get their blood pressure raised up the occurance and expect the wave makers to change, or have someone like the Coast Guard to come and stop the behavior. Kinda reminds me of thirty years ago when the exodus of people from Massachusetts began to move up to Southern New Hampshire to get away from all the regulations and taxes in Massachusetts, then as a voting bock over the next thirty years, they turned New Hampshire into Northern Massachusetts.

A different perspective I suppose. Some seem to expect to take their type "A" let's regulate everything personalities and place it into a type "B" cruising let's-get-away-from-it-all, care-free lifestyle, and somehow hope evereything works out.

You all need to adapt and slow down, or become a very frustrated and unhappy people IMHO.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:44   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I sometimes want a paintball gun, although I'm sure I'd go to jail if I used it.
Or a sling shot or a water balloon launcher or some other non lethal form of attack but yes any of the above would probably result in an unpleasant outcome for the launcher of the missile.

Quote:
The ones that scare me the most are the rental pontoon boats, they will cross my bow with less than 10 feet of separation, all the while smiling and waving, they aren't trying to be a hazard, just they don't know that what they are doing is akin to stepping in front of a bus.
Ran into one of those last week on the St Johns. I'm under sail down the channel and a big, happy group in a pontoon boat crosses the river and heads directly in front of me. The river at that point is two miles wide, no other traffic in the area and plenty of water for the pontoon boat in all directions but they have to cut directly in front of me. So I alter course and they all wave and smile so I waved back. I even waved with my whole hand and not the one finger wave.

I suspect the large cooler sitting on the deck might have had some effect on their steering decisions.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:53   #80

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
My friend lee would be proud to know his Inter 20 was featured here, that shot was taken during the matagorda beach start of the GT300.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The Inter 20 is an awesome boat. I had a Nacra 6.0 and always wanted an I20 but by then my crew (my son) was more interested in girls for some reason than racing!

That name sounds familiar also. I sold my Inter F-17 R to a guy down that way back in 2006. (I won the Horn Island Hop in 2005 with it) I can't quite remember his name but he's friends with a guy name Mike I think. It was coastal Texas is all I remember
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:59   #81

Boat: Bristol 27

About the only time I would complain about a wake is if I get a large one while sailing upwind under a bridge.

The wind is usually SW-WSW in the Summers in Pensacola and returning to the mainland you have to sail under the Pensacola Beach Bridge against the wind.

Sometimes it got interesting especially if you had to tack under there in traffic due to wakes slowing you down or knocking the wind out of your sails........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 07:06   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I suspect the large cooler sitting on the deck might have had some effect on their steering decisions.

Vast majority of the time they are just out to enjoy themselves, they are not trying to be obnoxious, they literally just don't know any better, and they are often entertaining to watch, especially in Panama City Fl during spring break.
In all honesty its amazing there aren't more fatalities than there are, I believe it's that pontoon boats are usually slow and apparently very stable is the reason why.

Worst I saw was Bubba from Alabama was down and brought his lake boat, and about four of his rather large friends, right at the entrance to the channel on the Gulf side they saw Dolphins and of course they all ran to the bow to watch, well four rather large Bubba types will put the bow of a 16' bow rider under water, which it did and the boat immediately went under and on it's back.

I learned a lot that day, first that SeaTow is a predatory agency, and that the FWC are not there to help. I towed them in, the whole time being followed by the FWC like I was committing a crime, but they never offered any kind of assistance.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 07:38   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There are a bunch of sail boat owners here that would probably be wake makers if they were power boaters.
If there is any difference in jerk-ieness...it's probably that it's harder to throw a big wake in a sailboat but they make up for it by cutting you off when ever possible.

As far as the go fast cigarette type boats, flat out full throttle is often less of a wake than if they slow down but stay on plane.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 07:59   #84

Boat: Camano Troll

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;2220476] "Are Power Boaters Clueless"

I just think it's a shame that anyone would be comfortable posting such an insulting post on a boating forum. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I could post some of the stereotypes about sailboaters but I'm going to try to be the adult here and restrain myself.

You owe power boaters an apology.
Old 26-09-2016, 08:04   #85

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I see it as similar to driving. You run into numerous A-holes on the road but most of us learn to ignore them. Road rage is bad for the digestion. The majority of those folks are not teachable so save your energy. That said feel free to use your air horn if you have one.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 09:24   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Vast majority of the time they are just out to enjoy themselves, they are not trying to be obnoxious, they literally just don't know any better, and they are often entertaining to watch, especially in Panama City Fl during spring break.
In all honesty its amazing there aren't more fatalities than there are, I believe it's that pontoon boats are usually slow and apparently very stable is the reason why.
Totally agree. Just folks with little boating experience or knowledge out to have a good time.

Generally I am one of the last to advocate more regulation or government intervention (interference?) in things but I must say I think it's totally insane that anyone (at least over 16 in most states) can buy a boat of any size, description or power and with zero training or experience take it anywhere. This includes 100 mph or better speed boats or any size motoryacht.

You certainly can't fly a plane or even drive a car or motorcycle without a license. You can't SCUBA dive without a C-card (or at least you can't get air fills or rent gear) but you can drive a boat any way or anywhere without a license.

Quote:
Worst I saw was Bubba from Alabama was down and brought his lake boat, and about four of his rather large friends, right at the entrance to the channel on the Gulf side they saw Dolphins and of course they all ran to the bow to watch, well four rather large Bubba types will put the bow of a 16' bow rider under water, which it did and the boat immediately went under and on it's back.

I learned a lot that day, first that SeaTow is a predatory agency, and that the FWC are not there to help. I towed them in, the whole time being followed by the FWC like I was committing a crime, but they never offered any kind of assistance.
So what were the FWC guys doing? Watching and waiting to see if you broke some law? Optimistically maybe there as backup in case you did need help? Pessimistically there to write a ticket if they saw sheen on the water from a leaking tank? Either way, good on you for helping Bubba and friends.

And Seatow, you sure better pay for their plan in advance if you ever need to call them. I imagine they might have owned the 16 footer with the bill for that tow.

Quote:

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 09:57   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I do think FWC was there waiting to find something to issue a ticket for, likely fuel leaking although I hadn't though of that at the time. Later I was told that it may be illegal for me to tow someone, I don't know.
SeaTow wanted I think $600 to de-water the boat, tow was I'm sure on top of that. We flipped it right side up, I put them in my boat, FWC didn't offer any assistance.
I have SeaTow insurance, but wonder what the fine print says, I almost used it once, I ran my CC boat aground and called. By the time I was being explained that my coverage didn't cover "hard aground" someone showed up and pulled me off.
The SeaTow operator on the phone couldn't explain hard aground, but did know that I wasn't covered for it.
Kind of made me think that hard aground is a judgement call.

I don't think Licensing would help safety, it seems majority of accidents are with experienced boaters, not the guys that have just bought the boat, or so it seems anyway.
I'm thinking that people new to it are a little afraid and therefore safe, then once they think they have it down, become unsafe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:10   #88

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
IMO the absolute worst power boat offenders are the so called professional captains that run large game fishing charter boats. These 50-70 ft monsters throw out 5 foot wakes that are steeper than any natural wave I have ever encountered. They blast through narrow channels one after the other often in trail so there is no opportunity to turn into the wave or take any other action to reduce the effect. I have had people on my boat injured by being flung of their seats despite their best efforts to hold on. I have had them pass within 20 feet of me doing 30 knots even when there was hundreds of yards of sea room. Please don't give me any BS about how they're out there earning a living, they're just huge A--holes. These so called professionals are licensed and it seems to only make them worse. I don't think licensing changes a thing. There are plenty of licensed drivers that drive like idiots and some of them are probably these same professional captains.
I have noticed the same, but with the party fishing boats we have here (100 feet or so). I suspect they feel that because they are paid to take people out that they are "commercial fishing vessels" and that they have right of way. I think they either don't actually understand the rules, or blatantly choose to ignore them. I've even heard them step on radio calls to the coast guard by vessels that were damaged by their wake, or to report bad seamanship. You'll hear some one call the CG and as soon as the offending vessels name is spoken, someone keys their radio with "Wahhhhh wahhhhh" etc.

I wish it wasn't true, but that usually goes ignored by the authorities. I'm pretty sure the FCC has some jurisdiction there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:15   #89

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I do think FWC was there waiting to find something to issue a ticket for, likely fuel leaking although I hadn't though of that at the time. Later I was told that it may be illegal for me to tow someone, I don't know.
SeaTow wanted I think $600 to de-water the boat, tow was I'm sure on top of that. We flipped it right side up, I put them in my boat, FWC didn't offer any assistance.
I have SeaTow insurance, but wonder what the fine print says, I almost used it once, I ran my CC boat aground and called. By the time I was being explained that my coverage didn't cover "hard aground" someone showed up and pulled me off.
The SeaTow operator on the phone couldn't explain hard aground, but did know that I wasn't covered for it.
Kind of made me think that hard aground is a judgement call.

I don't think Licensing would help safety, it seems majority of accidents are with experienced boaters, not the guys that have just bought the boat, or so it seems anyway.
I'm thinking that people new to it are a little afraid and therefore safe, then once they think they have it down, become unsafe.
Experienced or not, it would seem to be those with no common sense.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:20   #90

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:

I do think it funny that this thread was started by the same guy as the "move, get out of my way" thread

Best line of this thread!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat