Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 14:30   #61

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

You are on the water in a narrow channel. Get used to it.

It's not like the ads with wine and cheese on the table down below.

Maybe with a bit more experience you will realize this.

Sounds like you didn't spend much time on the water before deciding to become a cruiser.

It's the reason why many on CF say start small and sail as much as you can then if you like it move up to a larger boat

Wakes and waves are just part of being on the water.......

Many beach cat distance races occur along the ICW. Think about hitting these wakes at 20 knots plus trapped out with the spinnaker up! On a heavy, slow, monohull it's really not a big deal.....

300 lb Hobie 16 dealing with a few waves......with no compliaints

https://www.google.com/search?q=trap...RwSmFOwu3OM%3A

Nacra 20 breaking through the surf line....

https://www.google.com/search?q=trap...kTK5lv4uPwM%3A
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 16:22   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I think it a reflection on todays society. .why should i care about anybody but myself...sad
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 16:22   #63

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
clueless and they just plain don't give a crap. almost been taken out by 4 in the last two years. and, that's powerboats almost running me down. i'm not even including crazy wake action. you have to look after yourself well because you can't trust them to be looking out for your safety.
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 17:24   #64

The "Golden Rule" has gone out the door with power boats and sail boats. Don't get me started! The ditch is too shallow not for us to get along. Yes, I am a full time Cruiser aboard a 46' foot Yacht that can throw up a 3 foot wake with the power of my 750 h.p. Cats. My Dad broke ribs in his small fishing boat when a shrimp boat wake made him lose balance and he smashed into the gunnel as he went down. He never fished another day after this happened. Captain Mark, 100 ton Master USCG license.
Covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 17:50   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
In general, yes. Two days ago I was motoring in the narrow channel between the Seaway and the Broadwater on the Gold Coast in Queensland. Two huge cruisers went past in the opposite direction at over 20 knots. The second one's wake was so bad, it was breaking as we crossed it. NFI.
Absolutely, happens all the time. The Southport area's speed limit is 60 kph, for boats! Wierd, eh? Anyhow, I put a lot of it down to the advertising for Rivieras, etc. You see them zooming around throwing huge wakes, and I think we're supposed to liken it to a huge male orgasm. Anyhow, for whatever reason, the advertising models behavior others feel is antisocial. SE Queensland has a huge mobo population; but even there, we have experienced skippers kind enough to try to not "wake" us.

Probably it's like a lot of other things, only a few bad apples can make a bad impression of the whole bushel.

For Sailor Boy, I sure hope you can relax a little and have some fun after all the effort you went to to gain freedom. Posts complaining about others' behaviors make it seem like the fun ratio isn't in your favor.

Ann
Old 25-09-2016, 19:54   #66

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

Having been a yachtee for 40 years before moving to "Stink Boats" 15 years ago as age took its toll I think I am qualified to comment.
While a Yachtee those bloody stink boats were a PITA.
Now I am on a stink boat I still observe them being a PITA.
As a generalisation it appears to me sailors have usually done time from an early age to know the rules and protocols but often power guys get into it later in life when they earn some money and have not done the time on the water to know any better.
All we can do is do the right thing ourselves and when we observe stupidity or thoughtlessness and the get the opportunity to let them know they are wankers (can I say that here?) and why.
Having said that we are talking about a minority in my opinion because I also know a LOT of stink boat guys who go out of their way to do the right thing.
Old 25-09-2016, 20:29   #67

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Well said Jim....Jerks do not discriminate in their choice of boat
Or car, or motorcycle, or bicycle, or skateboard, or dog, or cat, or political persuasion, or, etc., etc.,...
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 20:46   #68

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

In Australia boat driver licences are compulsory if you want to go over 10 knots. Despite this, we still have a huge number of idiot power boat owners. I also own a power boat and are licensed as a commercial coxswain (since 1991), so I see it from both points of view.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 22:13   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
In Australia boat driver licences are compulsory if you want to go over 10 knots.
Bl**dy cockroaches, they think that the world ends at Tweed Heads, Albury/Mildura and 141°E.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 03:51   #70
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

What I learned when cruising and living on the boat was that bringing your land-based expectations with you is a mistake. This really hit home when we were down in the islands of the eastern Caribbean. I came to realize that not getting upset by things that I didn't think were right made it a much, much more enjoyable experience for me. You can't really change the stuff that tends to bug you, so you might as well accept that and move on.
Old 26-09-2016, 04:17   #71

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You are on the water in a narrow channel. Get used to it.

It's not like the ads with wine and cheese on the table down below.

Maybe with a bit more experience you will realize this.

Sounds like you didn't spend much time on the water before deciding to become a cruiser.

It's the reason why many on CF say start small and sail as much as you can then if you like it move up to a larger boat

Wakes and waves are just part of being on the water.......

Many beach cat distance races occur along the ICW. Think about hitting these wakes at 20 knots plus trapped out with the spinnaker up! On a heavy, slow, monohull it's really not a big deal.....

300 lb Hobie 16 dealing with a few waves......with no compliaints

https://www.google.com/search?q=trap...RwSmFOwu3OM%3A

Nacra 20 breaking through the surf line....

https://www.google.com/search?q=trap...kTK5lv4uPwM%3A

My friend lee would be proud to know his Inter 20 was featured here, that shot was taken during the matagorda beach start of the GT300.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 04:37   #72
CLOD

Boat: none

There are a bunch of sail boat owners here that would probably be wake makers if they were power boaters.
Old 26-09-2016, 04:45   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Today we watched a speed boat, you know one of those gas driven can hear you from 10 miles away while you make you penis larger boats, blow through a bunch on 12ers racing. At the speed he was going I bet going around would have taken about 30 seconds!

This morning a car carrier ferry passed me in the narrowest part of the channel while I was already doing more than the posted speed limit. But at least be didn't really make much of a wake.
Sailorboy my friend,

You just need to forget all about it and make it a non-issue, maybe even start waving hello to them as fellow boaters. I honestly can't think of a single time I became upset with a fellow boater, power or sailboat, over the past five years where it even caused me to take notice. Just a week ago, a 41ft charter sailboat cut across fifty ft behind us and snagged our trolling line, my wife and I just laughed it off and chaulked it up to learning. "Hey look at the fish we caught."

Just chill out.

Another factor which might come into play, is that during our six months of land-based life, we live in the city surrounded by idiots and knuckleheads... You just get used to it and lower your personal space expectations.

Nothing you're going to say, or do, or complain about is going to change anything. It's like the sun coming up each day.... you can't stop it from happening, so just enjoy it.

Cruising is all gravy. Just crack open a cold brewski and think about how good you have it now. And watch the show.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:04   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Some people are very Narcissistic, and stupid.
It's harder though to make a fool of yourself and cause problems to others in a sailboat, yes it can and is done, but far easier to do it in a big power boat.
At least in Florida it seems the mid sized Sport fishermen draw the biggest fools, but I believe that is only because they are often operated by the owners, large MY's often have professional crew and you can tell.

I sometimes want a paintball gun, although I'm sure I'd go to jail if I used it.

The ones that scare me the most are the rental pontoon boats, they will cross my bow with less than 10 feet of separation, all the while smiling and waving, they aren't trying to be a hazard, just they don't know that what they are doing is akin to stepping in front of a bus.

I do think it funny that this thread was started by the same guy as the "move, get out of my way" thread
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:15   #75
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some people are very Narcissistic, and stupid.
It's harder though to make a fool of yourself and cause problems to others in a sailboat,........
All you need to do is to Put them into an organized race...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat