Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 04:58   #106

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Clueless do you think ? And this guy knew he was sinking and just let it happen Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1474977274.545924.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	131869Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1474977289.561943.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	131870

That being said , there is a very nice power boat beside me that has a AIS transponder , the only other boat in the marina . Most boaters up here don't know what an AIS transponder or receiver is , sailor or power boater .

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 06:37   #107

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The very few races I have seen, it's apparent what is going on, by that I mean it's obvious there is a sailboat race.
So I avoid the area, often sit well off to the side and watch, you can usually tell where they are headed as well so they are easy to avoid. ................
Why is it that people buy a sailboat and then want to race? If they want to go fast, why don't they just buy a power boat in the first place?

I've never seen a trawler race.

Next question: Why do sailboat races always block the channel? How are other boats supposed to get by without going outside the channel and risk grounding?
Old 27-09-2016, 06:45   #108

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, I think it is difficult for some powerboaters to imagine what sailboats are doing. They don't know they may force us to gybe away, they don't relate to the wind the way we do, and might thing we were tacking across their bows on purpose to be rude and stupid, rather than taking their stern.
Totally agree. I try to anticipate what the other boater is dealing with, and make sure I don't interfere. That said, SOME power boaters expect sailors to follow the rules. "Stand on" means "Stand on". Not suddenly and unexpectedly tack across the bow of another boat. If they fail to follow the rules, is it wrong to consider them rude or stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
My personal expectations of all powerboats can be boiled down to this: they may do anything -- for no reason known to me -- at any time, and it's my job to cope with it. Expect people to do stupid things.
My feelings exactly, be they in a power OR sail boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I've been a sailor for fifty years but I just bought my first power boat so if I leave you in a big wake you'll know I did it on purpose since I'm not clueless.
LOL, my current boat can throw an enormous wake if I want it to, albeit at some cost in fuel. I've thought about running around and settling some old scores, but haven't stooped to that level. Yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 06:50   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Why is it that people buy a sailboat and then want to race? If they want to go fast, why don't they just buy a power boat in the first place?

I've never seen a trawler race.

Next question: Why do sailboat races always block the channel? How are other boats supposed to get by without going outside the channel and risk grounding?
Because it's fun! Everybody else is going at about the same speed, so tactics, sail handling and boat handling become very important. Besides, it's fun.

Sailboat races don't always block the channel, only the stupid ones.

Back when I lived in San Francisco, the YRA implemented a rule, which should have been obvious but evidently wasn't, that any sailboat that impeded major shipping would be automatically disqualified. This "caught" a few really dumb skippers who thought they'd beat the competition by cutting in front of freighters and tankers.

It'd also be nice if power boaters didn't cut though what is obviously a sailboat race.

There was a thread here recently about "avoiding sailboat races" and some dunce said he couldn't. Really????
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 06:51   #110

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Racing isn't about going fast, it's about making your boat perform better than the other guy and the best way to do that is racing one design where everyone has the same type boat

Along with making your boat perform well there are the other variables to consider.......current on the course, wind effect from land, start line positioning, favored side of the course, and so on
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 08:12   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Racing isn't about going fast, it's about making your boat perform better than the other guy and the best way to do that is racing one design where everyone has the same type boat
I don't know, it sure seems like sailboat racing is the art of intentionally getting in the way of the competition.

It also sure seems like most sailboat races are held in channels or just outside channel mouths, so everyone has to divert around them rather than taking a more direct course. You would think if you are out to go nowhere, you would keep the race away from the people going somewhere (and not just large commercial vessels)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 08:58   #112

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I don't know, it sure seems like sailboat racing is the art of intentionally getting in the way of the competition.

It also sure seems like most sailboat races are held in channels or just outside channel mouths, so everyone has to divert around them rather than taking a more direct course. You would think if you are out to go nowhere, you would keep the race away from the people going somewhere (and not just large commercial vessels)
Most of my racing was along the Gulf Coast of Florida and Mississippi plus TVA Lakes in Tennessee and Mississippi and rarely do I remember the races interrupting channels etc.

Why would you want to set a race course across a channel? The channel traffic could affect some of the racers which would cause extra problems the race committee who sets the course to have to deal with
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 09:13   #113
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ha, ha.

In fairness, the yacht was actually in a race, and not just practicing.

What the hell does that mean dock head?

Racing somehow makes it 'fair' to endanger your crew and other vessel's crew?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 09:45   #114

I'm in the stinkpot sportfishing class. And I believe I'm the majority in that I follow the rules of the road and am courteous. When you turn anyone lose with any machine without any training, you get the examples noted here. That's an discussion for another thread.

However, what I would note is this:

Read more at: Generalizations Quotes - BrainyQuote
"It is reckless to make broad generalizations about any group of people." ... Roger Ebert
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 09:52   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
What the hell does that mean dock head?

Racing somehow makes it 'fair' to endanger your crew and other vessel's crew?
No, of course not. But in an actual race -- and this was Cowes Week! -- naturally a skipper will take more risk.

An English court found the skipper of the yacht criminally liable, but the circumstances were complex. It makes interesting reading:

http://www.ukmpa.org/downloads/xcH_j...and_wilson.pdf

I certainly cannot honestly say that it could not have happened to me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 10:03   #116

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sailboat races don't always block the channel, only the stupid ones.

There was a thread here recently about "avoiding sailboat races" and some dunce said he couldn't. Really????
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why would you want to set a race course across a channel? The channel traffic could affect some of the racers which would cause extra problems the race committee who sets the course to have to deal with

Common, around here. Indeed, why would a race committee do that?

One of the most difficult racing fleets to get through around here are small dinghies (or prams, or some such; look like about 16' or so)... when there are about 50 of the suckers spread out all over the entrance channels into Annapolis harbor. Some heading upwind, some heading downwind, some just rounding their marks... but mostly all over the place, going slow.

-Chris
Old 27-09-2016, 10:41   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
I'm in the stinkpot sportfishing class. And I believe I'm the majority in that I follow the rules of the road and am courteous. When you turn anyone lose with any machine without any training, you get the examples noted here. That's an discussion for another thread.

However, what I would note is this:

Read more at: Generalizations Quotes - BrainyQuote
"It is reckless to make broad generalizations about any group of people." ... Roger Ebert
Just a a note of interest, I had a 30' power boat over take me yesterday coming in to a tight channel with a good tide running. My opinion is that he was a newer boater by the way he handled his boat and seemed unsure of the channel too. He could have passed but he chose to follow me in at around 50' off stern. When he did have things figured out, he made a very slow pass, he waved and yelled that he was concerned about waking me. Most likely a new boater, unsure of his skills or the rules, but he has common sense and most likely a courteous man in general. Ya, I agree with you and Roger, reckless!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 10:59   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No, of course not. But in an actual race -- and this was Cowes Week! -- naturally a skipper will take more risk.

An English court found the skipper of the yacht criminally liable, but the circumstances were complex. It makes interesting reading:

http://www.ukmpa.org/downloads/xcH_j...and_wilson.pdf

I certainly cannot honestly say that it could not have happened to me.
Fined the full costs of the prosecution, GBP 100,000. Ouch. That was an expensive day on the water. Next time I break a block, remind me not to complain.
Old 27-09-2016, 13:18   #119

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sailboat racing is both a physical and an intellectual challenge. Perhaps the latter is why some power boaters find it hard to understand.

Jim

PS Ann says this needs some amplification. I came to sailing from a long involvement with drag racing at the national level. When I was asked if i would race my little dinghy, I said something like " how can you race something that only goes 5 mph"? Two weeks later, barely understanding the basics of sailing, I was in my first dinghy race, getting trounced by every other boat. I needed to learn a few things...

That was 45 years ago. I am still learning things about sailing, even though I've stopped racing. Sailing is an intellectually challenging activity, more so than driving a motor vessel around IMO. Meeting those challenges is enjoyable for some folks, and racing brings this to t he fore.

But organizing races in channels or across the entrance to a harbour is very bad practice on the part of race committees... this I agree with.
Old 27-09-2016, 14:19   #120

Can't we all just get along? Enjoy!

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat