Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 09:27   #16

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Are Grills Worth The Trouble?

We had 1 of the old barrel style Force 10 grills for 25 years that was incredibly good but too small so we bought the Dickinson large Sea-B-Que. It isn't affected much by the wind but the plate design doesn't give as much flavour as the old Force 10.
The Dickinson gets a lot better reviews on the docks around here than any of the Magmas.
To the OP, I guess it depends on how you like to cook. If you enjoy barbequing then find a good one.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:28   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

Back when stainless was not priced like gold, we bought a Magma Catalina II Infrared gas grill and thought we might use it now and then. Boy were we wrong. We are using it several times a week especially when it is too hot to fire up the oven. We cook everything from veggies and burgers to pizza. It has been a great grill and has no problem with high winds (30-35 knots). To get a marvelous cookout flavor, we add a few apple chips on top of the infrared plates. That is probably not something Magma would recommend but it sure adds a lot of favor to the food.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:36   #18

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We have the Magma Catalina II (no infrared) and have been very happy with it. Wind has not been a problem and it cooks well. Some variation in different parts of the grill, but not bad. We use it at least several times a week. At anchor, often more so we don't heat up the interior of the boat. We've done all sorts of cooking...from fish, meat, veggies, eggs, bread/pizza. A Favorite is cedar planked salmon!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:39   #19

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have a Kuuna? Something like that. Way better than a magma but nowhere near as good as a weber. Getting rid of it as I'm going all electric. No propane. You can mount the grill where you like so no reason to not have one and davits.

Where grilling comes into it's own is when it's hot inside the boat and you don't want to add more heat inside the boat, when your grilling fish and want the smell outside etc..
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:44   #20

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Wouldn't be without one. We use the grill probably 6 out of 7 nights. It pretty protected so works unless we have a beam wind over 15kts.

Big benefit of not heating up the cabin when in the tropics, and using it allows me to rationalize that I helped fix dinner.

Have a separate 10lb tank that just runs the grill. Its a Magma Newport. Don't think I would get a round one due to the limited surface area.

I would not get a charcoal one - too messy and takes longer to get hot.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:46   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
We had 1 of the old barrel style Force 10 grills for 25 years that was incredibly good but too small so we bought the Dickinson large Sea-B-Que. It isn't affected much by the wind but the plate design doesn't give as much flavour as the old Force 10.
The Dickinson gets a lot better reviews on the docks around here than any of the Magmas.
To the OP, I guess it depends on how you like to cook. If you enjoy barbequing then find a good one.
+ 1 here. We have a Sea-B-Que and it works better in the wind than any other I've used.

Another plus is that Dickinson is a very responsive company.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:48   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I've been very happy with my girl, even if she is often too hot to handle
Click image for larger version

Name:	7%20Sealife%20%20DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	245149
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:50   #23

Thumbs up Re: Are Grills Worth The Trouble?

I have a Magma charcoal grill (rail mount) I used on 2 boats over 25 years. The biggest problem with them I found was the failure of the non-stainless parts.
Mine ws stored for several years, and when we had to relocate during IRMA, I dusted it off and attached the "feet" that let it be used as a stand-alone grill.
The fasteners that held it together were corroded into one piece.
After soaking with "Blaster" I got them apart and replaced with stainless steel.
It now works well. I wish I had done the replacement years ago.
Note this is avery old unit, the current specs may be differrent, but you can always be sure that any non-stainless components will corrode
gpridgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:51   #24

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Wait until you are anchored downwind from someone doing a nice BBQ.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:01   #25

Boat: C-26

I've been grilling on the boat for over 40 years. Wouldn't want to be without.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:05   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Seriously, I had the same Magma kettle grill hanging off the stern when I first bought the boat and hated it.

Thought about the issues, rain/wind/preparation space and redesigned the stern to accommodate a Weber Q1200 on a table, which we use at least 3 times a week, rain or shine.

It actually does run hot but I found if you put a grill plate on one half and two grills on the other side, it's perfect for all kinds of cooking.

With induction stove inside, this perfectly complements our live aboard life-style

Name:	20201231_172334.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	245154
Attachment 245155Attachment 245156
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:07   #27

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I love the magma my buddy has on his boat. When we are anchored up, he barbecues, I get to eat what he cooks.
That reminds me of an evening in Greece many years ago:
We'd decided on a barbecue when soon after a boat that we knew sailed in, so we invited them to join us. Half an hour later a second set of friends sailed in and Lesley advised that: "We can't invite X and not Y" so despite our having only a 27' boat, I dinghied across and invited them too. I'd only been back for five minutes when a third couple whom we knew well arrived, so it was back into the dinghy and over to their catamaran, inviting them to the party. The invitation was accepted and the question 'what time?' asked, to which I replied: "Well, you'd best choose as yours is the only boat big enough for all eight of us, so the barbecue's going to have to move here."
Old 12-09-2021, 10:07   #28

Memories of grilling small squid (lulas) and fresh caught sardines on my stainless steel rail mounted kettle, using charcoal and serving the delightful result to Portugese friends, are some of the sweetest (memories) that I’ve got. A larger bar-b-que with better draft control makes the grill masters’ job easier, but at times one has to make do.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:14   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
That reminds me of an evening in Greece many years ago:
We'd decided on a barbecue when soon after a boat that we knew sailed in, so we invited them to join us. Half an hour later a second set of friends sailed in and Lesley advised that: "We can't invite X and not Y" so despite our having only a 27' boat, I dinghied across and invited them too. I'd only been back for five minutes when a third couple whom we knew well arrived, so it was back into the dinghy and over to their catamaran, inviting them to the party. The invitation was accepted and the question 'what time?' asked, to which I replied: "Well, you'd best choose as yours is the only boat big enough for all eight of us, so the barbecue's going to have to move here."
I know the feeling. "Take a number for your hamburger"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-2-183901-Hamburger BBQ Party.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	245157  
Old 12-09-2021, 10:44   #30
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

So far, every comment is related to a gas grill. There is an alternative though. Bought one of these years ago. Very nicely designed and well made. Runs off charcoal, corn cobbs, buffalo dung etc. They were designed for back packing with limited resources. Small package, and not expensive. I agree with all the downsides of a gas grill listed above. This unit sits low to the deck, has a nice cover for wind protection, and can be used to grill, fry, bake etc.

Yes, I love it! Stores easily too.

https://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill