Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2022, 06:56   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Annapolis to Bermuda Race Starts at 1100 Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
P of B II already dropped out...
P of B is actually exiting the Bay right now so unless they have another destination, they are back in the Race.

They are just a bit behind the Tartan 34C Iris which exited a couple hours ago. Not sure why Iris delayed yesterday but they sat maybe Hove too in the bay for quite a few hours.

Btw three of the Navy 44's are running 1st, 2nd, and 3rd under PHRF at this time. I don't know how much time the Pogo 50 Max owes them though. Their rating is 78 I believe where as the Pogo 50's may be something like Zero.

The J111 has a rating of around 42 and the J124's rating is 30.

Above ratings from New England PHRF. The race authority for example has the Navy 44's at 81.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:37.0/zoom:11

https://www.bermudaoceanrace.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:57   #32

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

They may have dropped out of the race, but marine traffic still has them heading to Bermuda as their destination.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like quite a few of the skippers are older.

The Tartan 34C Iris Skipper is female.

Special note about the Tartan female skipper, Hattie Warwick-Smith....She was a former beach cat sailor!

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-racing/222102

So it appears you have folks from their mid 20's on up and all the crew members on the academy boats are not young

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...da-race/240633
There are also female sailors and all 4 Navy 44's.

Click on boat in link to see Skipper and crew list

https://www.yachtscoring.com/event_s....cfm?eID=14646
Old 06-06-2022, 08:57   #34

At the speed these guys are going, they may be at Bermuda by mid day to late afternoon on Wednesday.

The leader Max has cover 230 miles in the last 24 hours.

2nd place Tenacious 185 miles
Old 06-06-2022, 10:37   #35

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

As the wind clocks East and south, The fleet will be knocked south over the next 24 hours and need to put in a tack tomorrow mid-day to lay Bermuda.

I believe Beth Berry is a female owner/skipper of the T4100 Kyrie.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:06   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
As the wind clocks East and south, The fleet will be knocked south over the next 24 hours and need to put in a tack tomorrow mid-day to lay Bermuda.

She is published as Skipper/Owner.

https://www.yachtscoring.com/boatdet...acht_ID=227779
Old 06-06-2022, 11:09   #37

Quote:
P of B is actually exiting the Bay right now so unless they have another destination, they are back in the Race.

They are just a bit behind the Tartan 34C Iris which exited a couple hours ago. Not sure why Iris delayed yesterday but they sat maybe Hove too in the bay for quite a few hours.

Btw three of the Navy 44's are running 1st, 2nd, and 3rd under PHRF at this time. I don't know how much time the Pogo 50 Max owes them though. Their rating is 78 I believe where as the Pogo 50's may be something like Zero.

The J111 has a rating of around 42 and the J124's rating is 30.

Above ratings from New England PHRF. The race authority for example has the Navy 44's at 81.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:37.0/zoom:11

So it looks like the PHRF rating for the Pogo 50 Max is -18.

That's a negative 18!

This based on other races it was in.
Old 06-06-2022, 13:26   #38

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post

Everyone is going to get a header starting late tomorrow, would it help if they start going north now and make some upwind progress?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 14:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Everyone is going to get a header starting late tomorrow, would it help if they start going north now and make some upwind progress?
Maybe but if you get away from the fleet and chose your move at the wrong time you could end up losing tons of time.

Plus you will start falling back immediately if you were to start heading up. The fleet will leave you far behind so your gamble better pay off.

That's the thing with sailboat racing.

These guys are all going for boat speed right now....especially since it has them headed directly at their destination.

The leaders will stay close but maybe a trailer might gamble.

It all depends on your position and what those in the group you are racing are doing.

If you have a chance at the overall win like three of the Navy 44's have right now, you will stay right on the (boat for boat) leader Max the Pogo 50.

You'd have to do the math to see how much time the Pogo 50 has to give to the Navy 44's.

Pogo 50 PHRF is around -18 (negative 18)

The Navy 44's PHRF is 81 for this race..
Old 06-06-2022, 15:11   #40

Boat: Sabre 34II

If they follow the header and turn south they will lose quite a bit of distance adding a day or two to their trip, if they start heading upwind they may encounter light winds but then bearing off will put them on direct course to destination. It seems a Friday start wouldn’t have been bad after all.

Pogo 50 may need ~20 hrs on the Navy 44’s to win, based on the distance left and the fleet’s average speed it does not seem far fetched, what will matter is how everyone plays the shift tomorrow.

It’s definitely gotten interesting than the initial straight shot.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 15:16   #41

The leader has slowed down so he may be hitting some light wind and if so the fleet can make up some ground.

Depending on the speed of the storm, many times when one of these storms passes by the wind is quite light afterward.

We did a 100 mile Beach Cat Round the Island race once a couple days after a Cat 1/2 Hurricane came through and the wind was very light. It took light 20 hours to complete the race when on a normal prevailing wind day it would take 12 hours on the same boat
Old 06-06-2022, 15:23   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
If they follow the header and turn south they will lose quite a bit of distance adding a day or two to their trip, if they start heading upwind they may encounter light winds but then bearing off will put them on direct course to destination. It seems a Friday start wouldn’t have been bad after all.

Pogo 50 may need ~20 hrs on the Navy 44’s to win, based on the distance left and the fleet’s average speed it does not seem far fetched, what will matter is how everyone plays the shift tomorrow.

It’s definitely gotten interesting than the initial straight shot.
There are some older sailors with tons of experience on many of the main fleet boats and they will weigh all data.

These guys have probably been doing minute changes this whole time to mast rake, sheeting, maybe mast pre-bend, and possibly halyard tension depending on wind strength.

The drivers are definitely working hard.

With the Northerly winds they are dealing with they are always moving around and have holes where the wind decreases then increases
Old 07-06-2022, 09:39   #43
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:

You'd have to do the math to see how much time the Pogo 50 has to give to the Navy 44's.

Pogo 50 PHRF is around -18 (negative 18)

The Navy 44's PHRF is 81 for this race..
The Pogo 50 is not racing in PHRF, it is in ORC. ORC is based on a whole boat velocity prediction program. It is actually supposed to produce a level playing field, instead of a single rating for a boat type in all conditions like PHRF.

The Navy 44 Tenacious is the lead PHRF boat. Other boats are in doublehanded (ORC) or CRCA (Chesapeake Racer Cruiser Association). CRCA uses ORC. ORC and CRCA have subclasses, too.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:39   #44

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The Pogo seems obvious to me. Born to race. The Navy 44’s must have some magic waterline when heeled. Layman’s view point at least. I can’t seem to get an update from their positions. Why are the modern euro boats like the First trailing !?
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
The Pogo 50 is not racing in PHRF, it is in ORC. ORC is based on a whole boat velocity prediction program. It is actually supposed to produce a level playing field, instead of a single rating for a boat type in all conditions like PHRF.

The Navy 44 Tenacious is the lead PHRF boat. Other boats are in doublehanded (ORC) or CRCA (Chesapeake Racer Cruiser Association). CRCA uses ORC. ORC and CRCA have subclasses, too.
They had three classes in the Annapolis-Bermuda in 2018 and they had Tenacious as the overall winner so I was thinking that it would be similar this time.

I'm mainly used to PHRF and Portsmouth Yardstick as that is what we used when I raced.

The others are new to me.

They had two PHRF Classes in 2018 and one CRCA class. (but all under PHRF)

https://yachtscoring.com/event_resul...ber=1&eID=4373

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...616-story.html

I got interested in this race because I happen to end up in the middle of it in 2018. It was so fun to watch them fly by on either side of the bay as I was mid bay just North of Cape Charles. They had start at 1 pm the day before in Annapolis.

I first spotted Tenacious head SE exactly at where I had just left from but didn't know it at the time. Then I saw Sly the XP-44 on the other side of the bay. This at around 0830.

I had just left my anchorage on the Eastern side of the bay and was trying to get South but the wind was SW so I had to go West and slightly North on my first tack. My boat doesn't point well.

Anyway within a few more minutes other sails started popping up to the North and as I made my way to Kiptopeke they were going by me so I got to see quite of few of the boats up close

You can back up the tracker if interested.

Tenacious (PHRF 81), Sly (PHRF 21), and Divide by Zero (PHRF 39)were the leaders as they neared the mouth of the bay near Cape Charles..

Divide By Zero crossed my bow just before the anchored tankers by about 50 yards so I got a good look at that boat

At 08:53 you can see Tenacious coming back out from the Eastern Side where he was headed when I saw him to the place I had just sailed away from. I sailed off anchor that morning.

Sly and Divide by Zero were in a better position closer to the wind but Tenacious sails so close to the wind it didn't hurt them too much

https://yachtscoring.com/race_tracking.cfm

Tags
annapolis, Bermuda, race