Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 17:13   #31

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Advise & Recommendations: 42'-50' Cruiser

I entirely agree with you BobfromCanada. But the OP has said he doesn’t want a boat except with: “…maybe one or two small projects, but mainly just to get on the water immediately and go.” And lets face it, with a budget of around quarter of a million, he has a more than average chance of finding one.
I think we old timers, (at least that’s me, I don’t know about you), tend to forget that newbie’s don’t have the wealth of experience we have acquired in our years of hard knocks—not to mention life threatening events at sea.
So you just have to let ‘em get on with it.
I know one thing, I wish I had that much loot with which to consider buying a boat—some broker will be really happy.
Old 27-02-2019, 18:00   #32

I read your inquiry and was impressed with your checklist. The goal and the parameters you identify parallels the goals my wife and I had 17 years ago.
Your search for the right boat will be a great adventure for you!

My suggestion would be to not hurry the process. The more you look the more educated you become and the more certain, eventually, that you are making the right choice.

We have been living aboard our boat, which mirrors much of your checlist, for the past 10 years, initially in San Francisco, then the last 8 years cruising Mexico.

Our current location (see: ) has become our home base for a variety of reasons, which I would be happy to share with you if you would like.

Also, you might be interested in what we ended up with after extensive modifications to the base boat that we bought. If so, please let me know by replying to:' svmollyj@yahoo.com ' .

Our boat is 'semi' for sale, but that is not the real reason for my reply. We intend to sell her eventually, primarily because of our age, and probably in the next several years, but are in no hurry because we love our current lifestyle.

The main reason I am replying is because your wishes are so in sync with our wishes of 17 years ago and I thought you might be interested in ths history of the path we took to reach our goals.

Please advise if interested,to:

Jon (and Lisa) Hansen @ svmollyj@yahoo.com
Jonathan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:58   #33

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Hello Froggy

a friend of mine is selling a beautiful, well fitted out Tartan 41 currently located in upstate New York, on the St Lawrence river. My wife and I have sailed on this boat in the Bahamas and florida and I can vouch for her seaworthiness and comfort. She has 3 cabins, a/c, watermaker, bow thruster, generator etc and would suit your budget. A beautiful 2001 (I think) blue water vessel.

I thought she was listed on yachtworld but I can't find the ad. If you are interested send a pm and I will get the ad. She is probably 5 or 6 hours drive from your location.

cheers
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:00   #34

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnston View Post
Hello Froggy

a friend of mine is selling a beautiful, well fitted out Tartan 41 currently located in upstate New York, on the St Lawrence river. My wife and I have sailed on this boat in the Bahamas and florida and I can vouch for her seaworthiness and comfort. She has 3 cabins, a/c, watermaker, bow thruster, generator etc and would suit your budget. A beautiful 2001 (I think) blue water vessel.

I thought she was listed on yachtworld but I can't find the ad. If you are interested send a pm and I will get the ad. She is probably 5 or 6 hours drive from your location.

cheers
I found the ad it is https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:15   #35

Boat: Brewer 44

Brewer 44. The last was built in 1990, but only go for $160,000 for ones in top shape. Take the rest of the money and do a complete refit. You’ll have an awesom boat that meets all your requirements and money left over to go cruising. We’ve been living on #291 for two years and love it.
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:36   #36

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

After sailing on all sorts of boats over the past 50 years and accumulating over 70,000nm in my log book, my wife and I settled on a Cheoy Lee 43 pilot house ketch some 5 years ago. Since them we've clocked up some 5000nm of coastal/ocean sailing and love our boat for the following reasons:
+When its pelting rain, we're dry in the pilot house.
+When its wonderful and sunny, the cockpit is the place to be!
+When things go pear shaped, the 120hp Ford Lehman solves most problems.
+3 cabins including a spacious master suite with ensuite and seperate aft quarters with their own shower/heads for guests.
+Having 2000 litres of diesel comes in handy for long passages.
As does some 1200 litres of water and a water maker!
+Large refrigeration and freezer spaces ensure cold drinks with ice.
Overall "Sundowner" is a comfortable sea kindly yacht which handles conditions very well. So that's my ideal cruising boat! Only wish I could have afforded a boat like her years ago when I was bashing to windward on racing boats thinking I was having fun!
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:56   #37
Marine Service Provider

Hello Neighbor From nearby in Maryland. I think that your best bet is not to focus too much on specific boats now...soon perhaps...but not now. Also, remember that everyone who responds with a specific boat is generally doing so for self aggrandizement, whether stated or admitted as such. In ither words it's like saying "I bought a watzit 47 and I love it and I made the right decision so you should buy a watzit 47"....Rather I suggest you make a serious list of attributes and characteristics that are either extremely difficult or expensive to alter, i.e. air draft, draft, keel configuration, tankage, engine, cabin layout etc. What are the most important factors for YOU? Then don't worry too much about condition other than blisters on hull and wet spots on deck but focus more on general construction and clues about maintenance. Finally, do you want 42 or do you want 50? That is a huge difference, but remember that LOA is itself just a number when you determine that there can be vast difference between space, volume, displacement, cabin layout--and especially the challenges of handling and paying for maintenance between a 42 and a 50. I will send you a PM so we can talk privately or even meet. thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, men