Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 14:24   #1

Boat: 1984 Tartan 28, 2004 Hunter 36
Thoughts on a "fun" hailing port for a non-documented sailboat?

Hey gang-

We are about to get our boat's name applied on the transom of our 1984 Tartan 28. The boat is state registered only in Georgia, USA near Atlanta. State regulations require only the registration number and sticker- no name or hailing port is required.

So, we were thinking of having a little fun with the hailing port. Our boat's name is of Gaelic origin, so we're thinking of going with a hailing port of Inverness. Yes, I realize we'll have to redo that if we ever take her to the coast and want to get her Federally Documented. But other than that, other pros, cons, or thoughts?

Cheers!
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 14:42   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Thoughts on a "fun" hailing port for a non-documented sailboat?

There was a dock queen in our marina for years with a hailing port of Bermuda. I'm quite sure it was never near there.

The problem is when you go anywhere. People see you come into the anchorage or marina, and want to know where you're from. If your hailing port is someplace they're familiar with, they may assume you are, too. That can be good or bad, I guess, but I've found using my "real" hailing port has come in handy quite a few times. Usually it's just someone with a connection to the area, and some friendly conversation ensues. Once it was the local customs guys who had a problem with an unoccupied boat with a hailing port near mine. I actually recognized the boat, which helped them feel better about the whole situation.

I think folks would be disappointed if they thought they'd found a near-neighbor, came over to introduce themselves, and then found out you were "lying."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:05   #3

I definitely can see what you are saying Tom- if we weren't just on a local lake. Not to mention I don't think our lake needs one more boat with a hailing port of "Atlanta". Snore...

But we aren't set on this by any means...so enjoying the thoughts either way.
Old 22-02-2019, 15:23   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

It's been some years but I was out on Lake Lanier a time or two in my misspent yoof. Not much risk of being misunderstood as a traveling boat as you're well and thoroughly landlocked.

I'll point out that there are a handful of states that require state registration of federally documented boats. In a broader context, that could lead to some confusion as to whether your boat is documented or not, since the presence of a state registration doesn't necessarily mean it isn't.

Usually on boats with names, that are not documented, I don't see a hailing port written, just the name of the boat. That is what I would do, but it's your boat...
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:31   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
I definitely can see what you are saying Tom- if we weren't just on a local lake. Not to mention I don't think our lake needs one more boat with a hailing port of "Atlanta". Snore...

But we aren't set on this by any means...so enjoying the thoughts either way.
Given that your on a lake, I see no problem.
What would be funny given the Gaelic name is a place in Loch Ness.
Many names to choose from
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190223-072829_Maps.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	186466
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:44   #6

See what watching and reading Outlander has done!!! But it's my wife's boat, so who am I to argue! Though I think a hailing port of Craigh na Dun might be a bit over the top. But I like the idea of the Loch Ness names!
Old 22-02-2019, 15:48   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Thoughts on a "fun" hailing port for a non-documented sailboat?

I once saw a boat named Millennial Falcon, hailing port was Far Far Away.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:04   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

If you document a boat the hailing port has to be a real place according to the US official list. Since it is 12 miles from my home I considered using the town of Havana, Florida as the hailing port.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 17:24   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
If you document a boat the hailing port has to be a real place according to the US official list. Since it is 12 miles from my home I considered using the town of Havana, Florida as the hailing port.
Funny. My home is in Havana, FL, which is high and dry and many miles from any navigable waterway. My hailing port is Montara, CA, which doesn't have a harbor but it does have a lighthouse. I thought a hailing port had to at least have navigable water nearby?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 18:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Funny. My home is in Havana, FL, which is high and dry and many miles from any navigable waterway. My hailing port is Montara, CA, which doesn't have a harbor but it does have a lighthouse. I thought a hailing port had to at least have navigable water nearby?
If you are State registered and titled and not intending to have the boat documented then you are free to put any name or place on your boat as it is not a legal designation like occurs with the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center.

But if you do document the boat then it requires:

67.119 – Hailing Port Designation
(a) Upon application for any Certificate of Documentation in accordance with subpart K of this part, the owner of a vessel must designate a hailing port to be marked upon the vessel.

(b) The hailing port must be a place in the United States included in the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 55DC.

(c) The hailing port must include the State, territory, or possession in which it is located.

(d) The Director, National Vessel Documentation Center has final authority to settle disputes as to the propriety of the hailing port designated.

(e) Until such time as the vessel owner elects to designate a new hailing port, the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section do not apply to vessels which were issued a Certificate of Documentation before July 1, 1982.

[CGD 89–007, CGD 89–007a, 58 FR 60266, Nov. 15, 1993, as amended by CGD 95–014, 60 FR 31604, June 15, 1995; USC

The list of places in the publication 55DC is amazingly long. It has every city, town, many geographical defined spaces, mountains, valleys, rivers, creeks, lakes, coulees, buttes, marshes, deserts, swamps, dams, reservoirs, churches, mines, grave yards, schools, universities, parks, campgrounds, major arenas and stadiums, dump yards, battlefields, major industrial and shopping districts. You name it and it is likely listed as a designated "place".

The "hailing port" does not need to be a navigable place or even a place with water and it definitely does not need to be a place the boat has ever been or ever will be. The hailing port must include the place and a state, territory, or possession of the United States.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 23:26   #11

On the Great Lakes, I once saw a smallish 24'?) sailboat named "Wet Dream". Home port "Climax, MI".
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 05:40   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
Though I think a hailing port of Craigh na Dun might be a bit over the top.
I think your original premise puts you there already, might as well go for it.

Fantasy / science fiction fans would have a much wider range to choose from, no reason to limit yourself to Earth or even this reality.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 08:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I thought a lot about this when I first documented my boat. Read and researched and could find nothing that mandated a hailing port on the water. Plus many (most?) people document a boat at their home address which in many states doesn't include any harbors and in some cases very little water.

In my case my primary residence is Gainesville FL but I ended up setting RI as a hailing port as that's where I kept the boat and lived on board while working next door in CT. I thought it was appropriate since the boat was built in RI and as an extra benefit, RI has no sales tax on used boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 08:27   #14

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

My vote is for:

Noclothes Atoll
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 08:27   #15

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Since you are having trouble deciding on a hailing port, perhaps

"Port of Indecision" would be appropriate. It is located just SW of Disorder.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, fun, men, sail, sailboat