Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 05:22   #46

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Advice on Best Foods to Take for Food Value for Long Passage

I found quart size cans of freezdried veggies. Peas, celery, corn, potatoes and more from rainy day foods. I use them to bulk up Ramin soup or when cooking at home. Just add to most anything adds alot of texture. I find the smaller cans easer to use.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-05-2015, 21:38   #47

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Tinned 'Pimientos Morrones' or bell peppers are top tucker. Fresh ones don't last too long and the tinned ones are great with salads or just chucking into whatever... said to be full of vitamin C.

Oh and did I mention plenty of hot sauces?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5180138.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	102276   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5180137.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	102277  

Old 17-05-2015, 22:02   #48

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32

Hello All,

Wow, You All have made me hungry & wanting to try a number of the foods mentioned in this thread. I'm not waiting to try these things on my boat, I'm shopping this week. Also, I want to try the different methods of putting up foods i.e. canning, vacuum sealing, freeze packed, jerky.

Thanks A Lot for the Yummy's for the Tummy,

Avery .
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 23:54   #49

At a shoreside dinner last night...a dirt dweller asked what we did for food offshore.... after telling them it dawned on me that all that changes is that stuff I would normally have frozen ashore we eat out of cans.... peas , beans, corn.....

Apart from that.. not much

vacuum sealed NZ lamb..... somewhere in the south.....

Hard cheese keeps well... and don't forget your magic pudding
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F1000003.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	102335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	102336  

Old 19-05-2015, 11:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Hello All,

Wow, You All have made me hungry & wanting to try a number of the foods mentioned in this thread. I'm not waiting to try these things on my boat, I'm shopping this week. Also, I want to try the different methods of putting up foods i.e. canning, vacuum sealing, freeze packed, jerky.

Thanks A Lot for the Yummy's for the Tummy,

Avery .
Something I've noticed but cannot explain is about freezing food, especially meat. A long time ago I bought 1/2 a side of beef from the butcher to save money. He wrapped everything in white butcher paper and at first, I was concerned about freezer burn, but as the years rolled by, we never found a single cut that was damaged.

Recently, I've bought bulk meat and portioned it out into ziplock freezer bags, but it started forming ice crystals pretty quickly and freezer burn happens much, much sooner than if I had used butcher's paper. I can't explain it, but the difference is dramatic.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 11:50   #51

Whats magic pudding?

Old 19-05-2015, 15:48   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Whats magic pudding?
This is the magic pudding
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Pudding-.../dp/1590171012

The Magic Pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010722.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	102384  
Old 19-05-2015, 19:34   #53

Yep that went over my head. Lol

Old 19-05-2015, 20:52   #54
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Best foods fir nut value fir long passage would be frozen fatty meat.

Remember, pasta, rice, noodles etc have no nutritional value at all.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 22:06   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
One tip I have is to buy a little vacuum sealer. I was researching good electric units and had just decided our inverter was unlikely to handle one when I spotted a cheap flimsy looking plastic unit for about 10€ that included about a dozen resealable bags.

I didn't expect much of it, but it has been brilliant!

I really struggled beforehand keeping cheese fresh during summer. I tried all the tricks of wrapping it in vinegar soaked paper towel, soaking it in brine and even soaking it in olive oil, all only with limited success.

To keep bags uncontaminated I place the cheese into small thin plastic freezer bags first and chop off excess plastic. Several small lots can be sealed at once and the air pumped out again each time one is removed. It is the same pump that is used to vacuum seal wine:
Hi.

Thanks for posting the tip and your comments on keeping the cheese.

The bolded line up above caught my attention. Would you please elaborate a little on this or share more of your experience with the cheese issue?

I like cheese. So, I am curious about how it lasts or does not on boats with limited or no refrigeration. Anything more you can share on that? Was the problem mold growth?

I know Feta is traditionally shipped and stored in brine (submerged in salty water). I do not know if it keeps only with refrigeration or if it will keep in brine in hot weather (I assumed it would be the traditional method in the Med).

I know some cheeses can be bought submerged in olive oil.

I have not tried the vinegar+cloth method yet, but believe "dry" or hard cheeses are likely to keep longer.

In the old days, the British Navy would keep big blocks of Cheddar cheese in the ship's hold. But I assume their tolerance for moldy cheese is higher than most modern eaters, as they also might be accustomed to eating weavily biscuits too.

Of course there is also the "shelf stable" "processed cheese product" (that is not a real Cheese) that can be bought in blocks. It is really just a form of congealed fat/oil and water and stuff. But many in the USA consider it "cheese."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 22:09   #56
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Tinned 'Pimientos Morrones' or bell peppers are top tucker. Fresh ones don't last too long and the tinned ones are great with salads or just chucking into whatever... said to be full of vitamin C.

Oh and did I mention plenty of hot sauces?
Your photo caught my eye!

Pickapeppa is one of my all time favorite sauces/condiments! I just wish it came in larger bottles! Here in the USA, it is only seen in supermarkets in small bottles and is sorta expensive.

I like the tangy flavor (tamarinds are a major ingredient).

Love it though!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 23:59   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hi.

Thanks for posting the tip and your comments on keeping the cheese.

The bolded line up above caught my attention. Would you please elaborate a little on this or share more of your experience with the cheese issue?

I like cheese. So, I am curious about how it lasts or does not on boats with limited or no refrigeration. Anything more you can share on that? Was the problem mold growth?

I know Feta is traditionally shipped and stored in brine (submerged in salty water). I do not know if it keeps only with refrigeration or if it will keep in brine in hot weather (I assumed it would be the traditional method in the Med).

I know some cheeses can be bought submerged in olive oil.

I have not tried the vinegar+cloth method yet, but believe "dry" or hard cheeses are likely to keep longer.

In the old days, the British Navy would keep big blocks of Cheddar cheese in the ship's hold. But I assume their tolerance for moldy cheese is higher than most modern eaters, as they also might be accustomed to eating weavily biscuits too.

Of course there is also the "shelf stable" "processed cheese product" (that is not a real Cheese) that can be bought in blocks. It is really just a form of congealed fat/oil and water and stuff. But many in the USA consider it "cheese."
I love cheese too and use it often grated on dishes before they go in the oven or on soup (Greek graviera is good for this). Feta is fabulous on salads, but isn't a problem regarding short term storage - when I buy a slab I just pop it in a jar filled with water and a tablespoon of salt and then top it with a little oil to keep the air out.

Soft cheese like feta and other goat's cheese can also be kept a few weeks marinated in olive oil. Dried herbs and chili can be added - yum .

The bigger problem is hard cheese on summer. It goes mouldy, and in hot weather if not refrigerated this can happen in a couple of days. Wrapping it in a paper towel soaked in vinegar (and replacing this with fresh stuff each time the cheese is cut) then wrapping it in waxed paper rather than plastic helps a lot, but the life is still only 2-3 weeks. I tried to store hard cheese in oil, but we go through it in quantities too big for this to work well and several weeks is still the most you will get before it starts smelling rancid.

Vacuum packing cheese will store several months without any problems .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 05:32   #58

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I agree with cabbage as the fresh green to have, using the outside leaves cut up on sandwiches, in soups, stews, I've had it last many months. Flour tortillas are easy to make as a substitute for bread. I eat oats in my cereal bowl every morning I have cereal. To the empty bowl I add water, milk powder, allow it to sink, stir, add a good amount of oats, some sugar, maybe some cinnamon or a little store bought cereal on top to add some crunch, oats are much cheaper than any other cereal.
Old 20-05-2015, 05:33   #59

Ingredients for sushi from Steady Hand are good since you'll have a whole ocean of fish, but I would add dried seaweed to wrap it in - these keep for a while and the right kind of rice and vinegar for sushi.
RiskyScheme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, passage