Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 14:34   #91
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2016 and upcoming 2017

I haven't seen any discussion about where sailors think they will go post hurricane in the Caribbean. Our plan had been to head to Puerto Rico but that looks pretty much out of the question. My understanding is that any haul out facilities that are available are booked up now. Is anyone considering changing their plans?
Old 01-10-2017, 14:47   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I haven't seen any discussion about where sailors think they will go post hurricane in the Caribbean. Our plan had been to head to Puerto Rico but that looks pretty much out of the question. My understanding is that any haul out facilities that are available are booked up now. Is anyone considering changing their plans?
all the windward islands south of martinique are uneffected...so far,as well as antigua,nevis etc.

coming from europe my advice would be to have your first stop in tobago,one of the least visited and unspoilt islands in the WI,then make use of the excellent boatyards,cheap fuel and good provisioning oportunities in Chaguramus,trinidad before heading up island .
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 23:05   #93

" old sea dog " was in tobago recently , rated it very high , actually my father was there many many moons ago whilst in the navy , ( merchant , the real one ) and told us of it , ( that was pre tourist days )
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 00:51   #94

I'm thinking about going the other direction and heading to the Bahamas. I haven't read much about them being knocked out. We want somewhere that is easy to fly to out of Chicago. I'm going to hire a full time Captain for the winter season and just have friends use the boat for January through March.

But Irma and Marie must be changing the sailing patterns of half the Caribbean.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:09   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm thinking about going the other direction and heading to the Bahamas. I haven't read much about them being knocked out. We want somewhere that is easy to fly to out of Chicago. I'm going to hire a full time Captain for the winter season and just have friends use the boat for January through March.

But Irma and Marie must be changing the sailing patterns of half the Caribbean.
sounds like a good plan!
i was thinking more of, where would be a good place to get that nice tropical anti-fouling applied.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:32   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
" old sea dog " was in tobago recently , rated it very high , actually my father was there many many moons ago whilst in the navy , ( merchant , the real one ) and told us of it , ( that was pre tourist days )
tobabgo being up current,and up wind does not get a lot of carribean yacht visitors,nor large volume tourism like the other islands.

some fantastic well protected bays surrounded by towering jungle clad mountains,with fishing villages caught in a time warp, like the "real" carribean from 50 years ago ,you won't find neon lights,sports bars or jet skis

Old 02-10-2017, 11:55   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
tobabgo being up current,and up wind does not get a lot of carribean yacht visitors,nor large volume tourism like the other islands.

some fantastic well protected bays surrounded by towering jungle clad mountains,with fishing villages caught in a time warp, like the "real" carribean from 50 years ago ,you won't find neon lights,sports bars or jet skis

My kind of a place
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 13:53   #98

Hello!

Thanks for starting this thread...when we were preparing to live aboard and then leave the UK last year and head south we found out as much info as we could from vlogs and we're always looking for new people to watch so this has given us a few new ones

We have a YouTube channel (SV Bora Bora) and have finally started uploading our content...been a bit slack and learning the editing software is a real brain workout!!

We have four videos so far, fifth should be up by the weekend, of our journey from the UK to Portugal last year... Since then we've been into the western Med and Balearics and Morocco and will be crossing the Atlantic this year so we're trying hard to catch up to real time with the editing! We also have a detailed blog with lots of info on anchorages etc.

https://liveaboardsailboatuk.wordpress.com/

Here is the link to our Ep 1...

SV Bora Bora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 14:40   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
coming from europe my advice would be to have your first stop in tobago,one of the least visited and unspoilt islands in the WI,then make use of the excellent boatyards,cheap fuel and good provisioning oportunities in Chaguramus,trinidad before heading up island .
I've given your idea some more thought. We have never sailed this region and it would be interesting to see, though out of our way a little as ultimately I'd like to do the US East Coast.

Since I'm coming from the Med, where security is a given, the Windwards look quite dangerous. I'm not sure I can have as much fun when constantly concerned about being robbed or assaulted. Cheap fuel and provisioning don't make much difference to us. I'd really like a great boat yard but would guess that the prices are now going to be astronomical if you can get anyone to do work anyway.

It's quite a messed up situation now. We were berthed in Oyster Pond at Captain Olivers for two years. This was a known hurricane hole and it's all gone - like no docks, the buildings on shore and blown down, gone. Well, it's probably a subject that can be addressed in a different thread as the departure dates get closer and the island status becomes clearer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caribbean Security.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	157161  
Old 04-10-2017, 14:42   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hurrah, another easy to watch you tube series of ordinary folk just going out there and doing it.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bora Bora View Post
Hello!

Thanks for starting this thread...when we were preparing to live aboard and then leave the UK last year and head south we found out as much info as we could from vlogs and we're always looking for new people to watch so this has given us a few new ones

We have a YouTube channel (SV Bora Bora) and have finally started uploading our content...been a bit slack and learning the editing software is a real brain workout!!

We have four videos so far, fifth should be up by the weekend, of our journey from the UK to Portugal last year... Since then we've been into the western Med and Balearics and Morocco and will be crossing the Atlantic this year so we're trying hard to catch up to real time with the editing! We also have a detailed blog with lots of info on anchorages etc.

https://liveaboardsailboatuk.wordpress.com/

Here is the link to our Ep 1...

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 15:07   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You might want to give us a tour of the ketch and tell us a little about it.

Regards

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:56   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You might want to give us a tour of the ketch and tell us a little about it.

Regards

Pete
Hi Pete

It's coming soon...should've editing that one first really! 😁
SV Bora Bora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:41   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I've given your idea some more thought. We have never sailed this region and it would be interesting to see, though out of our way a little as ultimately I'd like to do the US East Coast.

Since I'm coming from the Med, where security is a given, the Windwards look quite dangerous. I'm not sure I can have as much fun when constantly concerned about being robbed or assaulted. Cheap fuel and provisioning don't make much difference to us. I'd really like a great boat yard but would guess that the prices are now going to be astronomical if you can get anyone to do work anyway.

It's quite a messed up situation now. We were berthed in Oyster Pond at Captain Olivers for two years. This was a known hurricane hole and it's all gone - like no docks, the buildings on shore and blown down, gone. Well, it's probably a subject that can be addressed in a different thread as the departure dates get closer and the island status becomes clearer.
given that there are thousands of boats activley cruising the windwards and trinidad i would not let a bit of petty crime totally rule out visiting there!

in trinidad there are at least 2 travel lifts that can handle large beam vessels like yours,and have very reasonable rates on labor and services.

i can understand your concern about security,so perhaps it would be an idea to start a thread on current security concerns,the security net is a good source of info,but like many statistical summaries it can distort the real truth,ie this week there is a problem,but two weeks later the perpertrators have been caught,and there is no longer a problem,but two years later the grapevine is still talking about it like it was yesterday
Old 05-10-2017, 05:45   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bora Bora View Post
Hi Pete

It's coming soon...should've editing that one first really! 😁
thanks for adding content
we are looking forward to more,please share the link here when you put it on the net
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32   #105

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

We have two Atlantic crossing videos. They might give some sense of the experience.

The first is USA to Azores with a stop in Bermuda:
https://sailingdawntreader.com/2016/...crossing-2016/

The second is Cape Verde to Brazil:
https://sailingdawntreader.com/2017/...rde-to-brazil/

Our YouTube channel is here:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChVCFPfAhNhT7zKtvxSqPoA
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, sailing, travel, videos, vlogs