Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 07:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 2008 420
Upgrades in Caribbean or the States

I have a 2008 Lagoon 420 that I want to spruce up for sale, things like polishing, bottom paint, and interior repairs to flooring, cushions and cabinetry. The boat is currently in Grenada and I am thinking about bringing in up to the east coast to work on this summer.

Is it generally cheaper to do this kind of work in the caribbean, somewhere between Grenada and Florida or is is better to do it in the states.

I hear it is easier to sell a boat in Florida than further south.
1tviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 05:46   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Upgrades in Caribbean or the States

My boat was damaged in Irma and I paid over 20K$ to transport her from the BVI to the USA so that the repairs could be done there - then sailed her back down to the BVI. This was cheaper and resulted in better work being done than had I done it in the Caribbean.

If you are aboard the boat and plan on micromanaging the work, then you might find cheaper labour in certain areas of the Caribbean (generally, the further south you go the cheaper it will get) but overall I would recommend having this work done in the USA.

Tags
Caribbean, rib