Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 13:37   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Revised: Miami-Bimini with S Wind (Strong)

Well as it turns out, the wind will be in the perfect direction (S becoming SW) for a crossing this weekend. However, seas are forecast to be 5-7' offshore, with 20-25kt winds. As it turns out, I've never made the crossing with wind that strong from the S/SW. I'm curious as to the experience of others in these conditions in the Gulfstream. I've gone across twice in winds of that speed (or higher) from the NW in one case and the NE in another, and I wouldn't take this particular "crew" across in those conditions. In this case, however, it would be a beam-to-broad reach, and 5-7', if they're not stacked up or breaking, might not be so bad. Seems like it could actually be quite a nice (i.e., interesting, fast) trip, but I would like to hear from anyone else who has gone across in these conditions. Thanks much! pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 13:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
With the winds obliquely with the set of the Gulfstream I think you'll have a pleasant ride with 20 to 25 kts. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 14:53   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380
I have done it in similiar conditions prior to a cold front and it is a fast but comfortable ride. Just point far enough south as the Gulf Stream is a torrent in those conditions and then you throw in your leeward drift.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 15:07   #4
Eternal Member

And tuck in a reef or two before you leave. That will ensure a comfortable ride and, if it should blow up more than that, you can just drop a sail and continue on in relative comfort.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 20:38   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Pete -
It will be more comfortable if the wind has been south or at least southeast for 24 hours before your departure - lets things settle down a bit.

Tags
Bimini Islands, miami