Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 16:01   #1

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
Puerto La Cruz to ?

I am looking at a boat to purchase in Puerto La Cruz Venezuela. I am not in the country at the moment and still preparing to negotiate the buying of the boat. I have no experience with Venezuela but much experience with the the caribbean from Tortola to Trinidad. What are the conditions to be expected for a quick departure from La Cruz to anywhere north allowing a favourable sail with Bequia as the final destination. obviously time of year will be a deciding factor. What is the present situation in Puerto La Cruz with respect to other parts of Venezuela and could one consider spending some time there in order to prepare an idle vessel for a passage. Is it safe in other words? I am presently in Hong Kong with my boat for sale.
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Puerto La Cruz to ?

Any chance you could take delivery in Bonaire, Curacao or T-dad? Venezuela is not a place I would consider going in its current state.
Old 28-12-2016, 18:11   #3

I live in PLC. Where is the boat? Very tricky dealing with the authorities here and it can be very expensive. Also many armed robberies. People are watching and you would be a target. You could inspect the boat in PLC if you had to but then fly to Trini and insist the owner deliver her to you in Trini after clearing the boat properly into Trini. Lots of boats in venezuela don't have the proper paperwork or even if they do clearing out can be problematic.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 18:34   #4

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Very tricky dealing with the authorities here and it can be very expensive. Also many armed robberies. People are watching and you would be a target. You could inspect the boat in PLC if you had to but then fly to Trini and insist the owner deliver her to you in Trini after clearing the boat properly into Trini. Lots of boats in venezuela don't have the proper paperwork or even if they do clearing out can be problematic.
Excellent advise. It would have to be very discounted for me to consider it. Active piracy problem if you manage to cut a deal and obtain a zarpe-permit. This a country in chaos with unspeakable crimes as common as shoplifting in 1st world. Many perpetrated by the authorities themselves. COD to TnT or elsewhere.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 01:31   #5

For what I am thinking of paying for the boat I wouldn't suggest the vendor should deliver the boat. Certainly not to Trini as it would be an ugly sail. West to a closer spot possibly. What I am most interested in is the situation while there to ready the boat and a quick sail north to Grenada. How is the sail and what is the distance? What is life in Puerto La Cruz like for a short stay?
Old 29-12-2016, 05:14   #6

Trini is an easy motor and has good facilities to work on your boat. Don't use your tricolor, here it's called a PAD (pirate attracting device). Yes Granada is an option too.

Do you need to haul the boat out or work on her in the water? There are a few reasonable boat yards here and labour is cheap and quality so so. Do you speak Spanish? Parts are hard to get and the few people I know fixing up boats sail to Trini to buy them mostly from Budget Marine or fly out to buy them and fly back in.

Accommodation - If you work on the boat at Bahia Redondo you maybe able to get accommodation in one of the condos there. But even that isn't safe, there recent robberies I know about.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:15   #7

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

1 in a 1000 where assasinated last year in Venezuela.
One death by lynching every 3 days - victims are criminals.
USA asked its citizens to leave about a weeks ago or so.
Deadly serious lack of medicine and hospital supplies.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 09:28   #8

Boat: Former owner of a Jeanneau Sun Fizz, a 41 ft sloop and a Dufour CT12000, a 45 ft ketch motorsailor

Hi Zoombat or whatever your name is. First, I just want to tell you that if you are participating in a forum, begging for advises and don't have the guts or decency of giving your name, I consider that you are not very serious.
I had my boat in that region for many years and have friends living hell right now in Venezuela and could give you some advises on the situation in Venezuela right now but I do not waste my time with a joker called Zoombat.
Captain Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 11:28   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

We already have a recent thread about this, which you should read carefully: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...la-169648.html

I will reprise: Venezuela's banks are famously corrupt, and you would be bonkers to take a large amount of cash there. So payment is a big problem. On the other side it has been known as a destination for stolen boats so you better be absolutely certain that the title is clean or risk losing your new boat when you enter the legal world. Then there is just avoiding attacks against your person, and getting out of the country with your new boat. In short, don't even think about it.

If the seller is serious, and above board, it is a short sail to Aruba, Curacao, or Bonaire where the transaction can take place safely, and within the international banking system and legal system. You will need to check on any sales taxes first but I doubt that will be a problem. The seller should be thrilled about this because it will get his payment in a foreign currency outside of the country. If he doesn't want to do this then suspect something is amiss. And remember that to get a boat documented you have to be able to prove the chain of ownership back to the original builder. A current document and notarized bill of sale should be sufficient providing the document is acceptable. You will need to check this carefully.

This is as bad an idea today as it was when it was brought up last summer.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 12:58   #10

I am a US expat, lived on Margarita Island since 06. I left Margarita March, 2016, simply because of the danger, that 20 or $100 US is alot of money.
Comparable to carrying 10 grand on your person in the US. And although, I NEVER carried US currency the danger of someone learning the I am an American was too great.
Kidnapping ransom, even if only 5k is a mountain of money. Next, most always the bad guys are killing their robbed victims. Puerto la Cruz is the main jump off point to the Island. That is 80% of Island ferries are from Puerto la Cruz.
Gringos stick out almost anywhere in Venezuela. If I was still on the Island, I would be glad to help you get around Puerto la Cruz safely. I'm not and for very good reasons. UNSAFE.
99% of the problem in Venezuela is the Police! The difference between the street crooks and the police I think maybe .00001%.
If you have anyone that can guide you around Puerto La Cruz, do it if that boat is that important. If not, it may mean your life.

Margarita used to be much safer then the rest of Venezuela because of the crossing from the mainland. That's no longer true. Car batteries, tires, radios etc aren't safe. And certainly a watch or any thing approaching expensive jewelry can be a death sentence.

Now, having said that, I am of Latin heritage, and can pass as a native Latin American anywhere in Latin America. But if Venezuela is dangerous for me, you can bet it will be for you too.

Think very seriously before going there. And if its an absolute thing you've got to do, use someone local to guide you in any of their cities.

Good luck and God protect you.
Clarkston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 13:35   #11

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. I have family who own a property on Margarita as well and I am very aware of the situation that keeps them from going there. It is a very painful experience for them. Thanks especially to John H who, as a resident of La Cruz gave me very good information on what to expect from the place while on the ground. I did not know of the discussion previously on the forum as I have my present boat in Hong Kong where I work in the yacht repair trade, so I apologize for not paying attention. Thanks Greg. Thanks to "captain" Denis who as a "former" owner of so many vessels could have given me some sound advice from his arm chair in Cancun I'm sure but chooses to berate me for using a moniker instead of my name, which is Mark and not having the "guts" to do so. Save it captain. Thanks again for the the information. Stay safe John H. Out
Old 29-12-2016, 18:08   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Denis View Post
Hi Zoombat or whatever your name is. First, I just want to tell you that if you are participating in a forum, begging for advises and don't have the guts or decency of giving your name, I consider that you are not very serious.
I had my boat in that region for many years and have friends living hell right now in Venezuela and could give you some advises on the situation in Venezuela right now but I do not waste my time with a joker called Zoombat.
I see you are a new member with few posts. Be aware that it is very common for members to use any name they wish, often NOT their given name. Also be aware that your post was very rude and uncalled for.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 18:31   #13

Boat: Not Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I see you are a new member with few posts. Be aware that it is very common for members to use any name they wish, often NOT their given name. Also be aware that your post was very rude and uncalled for.

👍

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailing Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 06:32   #14

Boat: Caliber 33

It is still possible to buy a boat here and get it out with careful planning and somebody here who knows the game. ABC islands is the easiest or PR/VI. PLC - Trinidad is very dangerous - upwind slog infested with pirates.
I can advise and help you if you ask the forum managers to put ypu in touch with me.
OndinePLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 21:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Denis View Post
Sorry. I don't see the need for this agressive post. He or she asked for advice and seemed to be getting it from others who agreed that Venezuela may be a bit dicey right now.
lotek is offline   Reply With Quote