Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 20:25   #1

Looking for Suggestions near Annapolis / Tilghmans

Charting a catamaran out of Annapolis soon and am looking for some advice. I've got 3 days and 2 nights with a novice crew fwiw.

Pretty sure ill head to Tilghmans (TOC) for day 1 simply because its so lovely and peaceful there.

But I'm not so clear on days 2 and 3. Not so interested in heading to St. Michaels. Once was enough for me.

Anyone care to share some secrets?
marvinmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 04:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: LF suggestions near Annapolis / Tilghmans

Tilghman to Solomons of course! The Tiki bar BBQ has a great weekday lunch special, the Tiki Bar is island fun at night and it's a fun laid back place. One of my favorite chesapeake stops.
airedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 05:12   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
Which way is the wind blowing and how hard? Do you want a destination like a town or quite wooded anchorage? Do you want to sail anchor eat breakfast and sail more. Nettle free swimming ?Do you have kids or is it adult time. can't help unless you give some idea of what you look for.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Which way is the wind blowing and how hard? Do you want a destination like a town or quite wooded anchorage? Do you want to sail anchor eat breakfast and sail more. Nettle free swimming ?Do you have kids or is it adult time. can't help unless you give some idea of what you look for.
One primary consideration is returning to Tilghman Island TOC. That can be day one or day two. I was thinking day one as its not too far from Annapolis. But I'm not married to that.

We are five adults, no kids. Swimming would be great, but last time I set sail the jellyfish were everywhere.

I'd love somehow to toss in some secluded time someplace in addition to TOC. But the ladies will want some time in a quaint little town other than St Ms. Might not be able to combine the three. IE TOC + seclusion + day ashore. So it might end up being TOC + day ashore someplace -> then back to Annapolis on day three.

Would also lime to spend a 50/50 mix of time underway and time at rest (besides sleep) ... or something like that.

Also thinking of one dinner aboard and one ashore someplace.
marvinmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 04:54   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Looking for Suggestions near Annapolis / Tilghmans

Oxford is within decent distance from Tilghman's. Mears has a pool. At least 3 good restaurants (Robert Morris Inn, Pope's Tavern, Latitude) plus another I can't remember off-hand. That's getting further way, though, and you'd be coming back through the Narrows (or around the south).

Or Deale; Herrington Harbor North. Serious pool, extensive grounds. Calypso Bay restaurant on site, plus lunch via dinghy to Skipper's Pier.

Or Galesville and the Rhode River. Anchor in the Rhode, commute to town. Very small, but two decent restaurants.

DO HUG THE R4 as you enter Knapp's from the Bay. Skinny water plus shoaling. Most everyone can get through, one at a time; crossing while near the R4 probably won't cut it for one or the other vessel.

-Chris
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26   #6

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)
Re: Looking for Suggestions near Annapolis / Tilghmans

I would second the recommendation for Oxford and Mears Yacht Haven (for the pool). Galesville (West River) would be a nice stop just before returning to Annapolis. Pirates Cove is a nice restaurant there.
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 18:49   #7

Boat: Beneteau 323
We enjoyed a mooring ball at the Georgetown Yacht Basin on th3 Sassagras River. There are plenty of activities for everyone. A pool, beach, kayaks, bikes, ice cream shop, restaurant, a launch. Well run place, $1/ foot third night free.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle