Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 12:54   #1

Looking for a Marina in Ponce, Puerto Rico

We've never been to the south coast of Puerto Rico and we're looking for a place to meet our daughter for Christmas. She lives in the third WOrld and wants a hotel, we live on the boat with our dog, so want to be close together. Any thoughts?
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 07:04   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Looking for a Marina in Ponce, Puerto Rico

The only marina in Ponce, Puerto Rico is the Ponce Fishing and Sailing Club which is a nice facility and has a boatyard. I have docked there several times. Ponce Yacht & Fishing Club
Tel: 787-842-9003 Fax: 787-842-9004 http://www.ponceyachtandfishingclub.com/
- - They are also the major diesel refueling station on the south coast of Puerto Rico for private recreational vessels. You will need either a car or taxi to get anywhere.
- - There is a smaller and quainter marina in Salinas called Marina Salinas - (also a good anchorage there. Marina Salinas, P.R. 701 (end) Paya Ward, Salinas, Puerto Rico. Tel 787-824-5973 http://www.marinadesalinas.com/marinar.html
I am too big for the marina but have spent a lot of time anchored in the little lagoon. There are some seriously good restaurants there at Playa Salinas. Also a very good boat parts store.
- - On the east coast of Puerto Rico in the Fajardo area are numerous marinas both fancy and plain (very economical). From south to north - Marina del Rey; Isleta Marina; Sun Bay Marina; Villa Marina; and Sea Lovers Marina (my favorite- $20/day any size including water and electric - keep this quiet, it is a small place known only to the knowledgeable).
This area of Puerto Rico is the major boating center for the island with a lot of services and stores available including a West Marine.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 07:21   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Osirissail left out Palmas del Mar in Humaco. Great slips with dockside fueling and waste pumpout. Very nice people. You will have access to the property with two golf courses, many places to eat, swimming pool. The project finished a couple of years ago and slips never sold (they wanted 250k for one for my boat) so they are now being rented. Its about and hour drive to airport. I also like Marian del Rey in Fajardo - rental cars on site, West Marine close buy.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:11   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

There are only two West Marine stores, the one in Fajardo and the other in San Juan.
- - I excluded Palmas de Mar as it is on the southeast coast and quite far "out of the way" from the main shopping and boating activity which is centered on Fajardo.
- - I have spent considerable time in Marina del Rey but they have recently raised there rates beyond the comfort level of my wallet. But it is an elegant marina and well run. And the Thrifty Car Rental outfit is located there and has the best rates.
- - But like the USA mainland, in Puerto Rico you really need a rental car to get anywhere and see anything - so choice of marina location is not so important.
- - I didn't mention it but Ponce has two main detractors - it is incredibly loud there on weekends as the locals flock to the port area to party all day and night - actually deafening. And getting anything, parts, groceries, etc. involves hours long walks or taxi rides.
- - However, with a rental car you have easy access to the mountain spine that runs east-west down the center of Puerto Rico which is a "don't miss" kind of thing. Also just across the mountains is the Arecibo Observatory and nearby the Camuy Caves along with a few Taino Indian sites.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico