Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 10:45   #1

Inter-coastal Waterway - Norfolk to Pamlico Sound

I am planning on taking a new to me 50' Beneteau from NYC to New Bern, NC where she will live. We draw 6' and the mast hight is 63.5'

I was wondering what the ICW will be like between Norfolk to the Pamlico Sound as I have never taken this route with a sailboat.

Any recent knowledge is greatly appreciated. Planing a late December - January trip.
sailorcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:50   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Inter-coastal Waterway - Norfolk to Pamlico Sound

I went offshore this year so have no recent knowledge but that stretch of the ICW should be no problem with your draft and do-able with your air draft. Use whatever resources you can find (recent reviews, Waterway Guide Urgent Alerts, etc.) to check the current bridge clearances before you leave Norfolk. I know there was a bridge on the route that had low clearance due to construction in the fall but I think that should be done now.

You will most likely be motoring most of the way. Don't leave thinking of an anchorage till late in the day as there are some stretches with limited good options.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I went offshore this year so have no recent knowledge but that stretch of the ICW should be no problem with your draft and do-able with your air draft. Use whatever resources you can find (recent reviews, Waterway Guide Urgent Alerts, etc.) to check the current bridge clearances before you leave Norfolk. I know there was a bridge on the route that had low clearance due to construction in the fall but I think that should be done now.

You will most likely be motoring most of the way. Don't leave thinking of an anchorage till late in the day as there are some stretches with limited good options.
Great to know. Thanks
Old 09-12-2021, 14:17   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

As always read the USCG Notice to Mariners before you go. From https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm05492021.pdf it says

North Landing River - Pungo Ferry Road Bridge – Bridge maintenance, which began in March 2021, will continue to be conducted from 7 a.m.
to 5 a.m.; 7 days a week; through December 31, 2021. During the maintenance period, a work platform will be located underneath the bridge
and will be reducing the vertical clearance of the bridge to approximately 60 feet above mean high water. The project foreman may be reached
at (727) 259-4064. Mariners should use caution navigating through the area.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 15:36   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

It's the "Intracoastal Waterway".

Your sailboat can make that trip. Many sailboats travel the entire ICW both ways each year.
Old 09-12-2021, 15:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
As always read the USCG Notice to Mariners before you go. From https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm05492021.pdf it says

North Landing River - Pungo Ferry Road Bridge – Bridge maintenance, which began in March 2021, will continue to be conducted from 7 a.m.
to 5 a.m.; 7 days a week; through December 31, 2021. During the maintenance period, a work platform will be located underneath the bridge
and will be reducing the vertical clearance of the bridge to approximately 60 feet above mean high water. The project foreman may be reached
at (727) 259-4064. Mariners should use caution navigating through the area.
Good info, Thank you for the info. I will be checking this out for sure.
Old 09-12-2021, 15:46   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Wilkerson Bridge can be a problem. Especially if the wind blows the water in.
Old 09-12-2021, 15:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Is the 63,5' the top of the mast or top of the antenna and lights? Either way that will be a very, very close sha e for some of the bridges, especially at high tide pr as mentioned when onshore winds blow water into the sounds.

There have been frquent updates and comments on the Bob423 ICW group on Facebook. Several boaters showed 62 or less at some veidges
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 16:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Is the 63,5' the top of the mast or top of the antenna and lights? Either way that will be a very, very close sha e for some of the bridges, especially at high tide pr as mentioned when onshore winds blow water into the sounds.

There have been frquent updates and comments on the Bob423 ICW group on Facebook. Several boaters showed 62 or less at some veidges
It's what has been quoted by other owners. I need to actually get to the boat and measure it.
Old 09-12-2021, 16:54   #10

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We are63.5' of expensive parts. Then another foot or so of antenna. We have done the Virginia cut 4 times over the last 2 years. We didn't have to wait on tides anywhere in that stretch, but it is stressful hearing the antenna bouncing of the bridge.
Definately measure your last height yourself before going. Real info is important. Previous owners info can cost you a lot of money!
This fall we went the dismal swamp and it was way better, bridgewise. Unfortunately a 6' draft will make it stressful on the other side. It's your call on that one.
If you have towboat insurance, you can opt in for icw updates for notices to mariners. Another good resource is the ICW Bob 423 group on Facebook.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 17:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We are63.5' of expensive parts. Then another foot or so of antenna. We have done the Virginia cut 4 times over the last 2 years. We didn't have to wait on tides anywhere in that stretch, but it is stressful hearing the antenna bouncing of the bridge.
Definately measure your last height yourself before going. Real info is important. Previous owners info can cost you a lot of money!
This fall we went the dismal swamp and it was way better, bridgewise. Unfortunately a 6' draft will make it stressful on the other side. It's your call on that one.
If you have towboat insurance, you can opt in for icw updates for notices to mariners. Another good resource is the ICW Bob 423 group on Facebook.
Great info. I'll be checking him out for sure. Running aground slowly doesn't scare me near as much as hitting a bridge up top. Ive runaground plenty of times racing big boats and I know how to handle that BUT I don't plan on it.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:05   #12

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Colin, I believe that you and I may know each other. Are you from Charleston, SC?
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Colin, I believe that you and I may know each other. Are you from Charleston, SC?
Yes sir Chip!
Old 10-12-2021, 12:55   #14

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcolin View Post
Yes sir Chip!
Haha, cool! Congrats on the new vessel, that's quite a lot of boat!! Any plans to go cruising this Winter or next Spring?
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:58   #15

Made the trip from Yorktown to Wilmington last January using the ICW on a 40’ Hunter. Nice trip but hit some cold weather and fog. Recommend Skipper Bob book as there are places to overnight that don’t normally post. Made planning each day’s destination a lot easier. Good luck
NosmoKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, Intercoastal Waterway, water