Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 14:29   #16

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Gasp!! an American yacht sailed directly to Cuba from the states!!! And admits It

As long as their passports aren't stamped or his log books don't indicate a Cuba entry I would think that would be ok. Just like its always been for Americans who travel to and from Cuba.
Old 03-08-2015, 14:48   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Gasp!! an American yacht sailed directly to Cuba from the states!!! And admits It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Very well stated, Micah . . . but so politically incorrect. You know that Capitalism is evil and Communism is liberating. Batista was corrupt and Castro a saviour. It's time to forget the wholesale theft of corporate and family businesses, and the homes of Cubans, rich and poor, whose families lived on the island for hundreds of years and the wealth they accumulated in the banks, and the firing squads held at 5 p.m. daily in Havana's sports stadium for those deemed "criminal" by the state, and those held without charges in Cuba's prisons for a lifetime, and those that were tortured or disappeared, and those that lost their lives fleeing from this virtual utopia that has been supported by other Fascist regimes like Soviet Russia, China and lately, until his death, the great humanitarian and liberator of the downtrodden--Hugo Chavez. Where, Micah, do you get such foolish notions? Don't you know that all that is important is that a few daring, self righteous and deserving American sailors can pin another merit badge on their cruisers vest of places visited and bask in the delusion that it's time to let bygones be bygones and open Cuba's doors without concessions or apologies. It's a new world, Micah . . . we must be accepting, forgiving, humanitarian . . . there's a ocean to cross with Cuban cigars, cafe cubano and cheap hookers and a country starving for Capitalist dollars to help provide a better living than the $23.00 a month government paycheck provided in Utopia. Why not, Micah, why not?. . . En poco tiempo . . .Vea Usted en Cuba!
You're absolutely right. Ooops, I meant, you're righteously correct....er, I mean, justifiably correct. Not the "r" word, no sir-ee...er, I mean, no indeedydoo, Comrade. And "absolute" would imply something reserved for higher beings like Comrade Chairbeing Fidel, or The One its0wnself.

Politicians being such paragons of integrity, and politics so unifyingly diverse, my thoughtcrimes are unforgiveable. If I had a gun I should shoot myself, but under present circumstances will have to wait for my Government to supply this service.

The Teutonians are a little bit reticent about that sort of thing at the moment, apparently embarassment to do with one or two indiscretions in the past (they were wearing the wrong uniforms, by HUGO BOSS no less, and were also nationalists...heinous, wicked crimes). I suppose I could visit your Late Great Nation and have it done by Professional at a traffic stop, but I have an aversion to blue-gloved perverts fondling my enormous reactionary giblets and pilfering from my luggage; immigration is out.

Nevertheless, I suspect an even greater danger than crony capitalism....feudal despotism dressed in the glorious flag of proletarian equality, like all the other times when imperfect humans apply the utopian nectar of dear Uncle Karl and Cousin Tung. Maybe next time it'll stick.
Old 03-08-2015, 15:02   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Yes, my post regarding guns was to the OP. But if you've been to Cuba with weapons on board I'd be happy to here about your clearing-in experience.
No, guns aboard are too much hassle, Cuba or not.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:07   #19
Eternal Member

Quote:
Yes, my post regarding guns was to the OP. But if you've been to Cuba with weapons on board I'd be happy to here about your clearing-in experience.
Here it is:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ms-147641.html

It's one thing if you're just gonna spend all your time in Cuba in Marina Hemingway, or a place like Varadero... But if you actually wanted to cruise the coast, I would think the frustration of having to deal with the Guarda taking possession of your firearms for 'safekeeping' would quickly diminish any desire to do much exploring...

This onerous process of clearing in and out with the Guarda every time you move was an incredible PITA when I was there about a dozen years ago, and I don't imagine it's changed much in the interim. I can't imagine having to deal with it, with the addition of firearms to the mix...

You might even be tempted to put a gun to your head...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:27   #20

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
WTH? You have to rat him out? GEEZ.
Rat who out about what? Your comment makes no sense.
Natraps has been quite open about guns on board in the past and currently about going to Cuba. Or is the video not about natraps?
Old 03-08-2015, 15:30   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Very well stated, Micah . . . but so politically incorrect. You know that Capitalism is evil and Communism is liberating. Batista was corrupt and Castro a saviour. It's time to forget the wholesale theft of corporate and family businesses, and the homes of Cubans, rich and poor, whose families lived on the island for hundreds of years and the wealth they accumulated in the banks, and the firing squads held at 5 p.m. daily in Havana's sports stadium for those deemed "criminal" by the state, and those held without charges in Cuba's prisons for a lifetime, and those that were tortured or disappeared, and those that lost their lives fleeing from this virtual utopia that has been supported by other Fascist regimes like Soviet Russia, China and lately, until his death, the great humanitarian and liberator of the downtrodden--Hugo Chavez. Where, Micah, do you get such foolish notions? Don't you know that all that is important is that a few daring, self righteous and deserving American sailors can pin another merit badge on their cruisers vest of places visited and bask in the delusion that it's time to let bygones be bygones and open Cuba's doors without concessions or apologies. It's a new world, Micah . . . we must be accepting, forgiving, humanitarian . . . there's a ocean to cross with Cuban cigars, cafe cubano and cheap hookers and a country starving for Capitalist dollars to help provide a better living than the $23.00 a month government paycheck provided in Utopia. Why not, Micah, why not?. . . En poco tiempo . . .Vea Usted en Cuba!

Interesting post. Being a native of S. Florida, Miami mostly, and having plenty of extended family that are Cubans of several generations I have heard so many stories of Cuban atrocities over Cafe Cubano and pastelitos that I wouldn't know where to begin. The lighter note is there are far better cigars had elsewhere. Once the old real Cuban tobacco farmers fled they took with them generations of farming knowledge. Classic cars from the 50's? This isn't quite the Latin Barrentt-Jackson show. More like an old rusted out 57 Chevy BelAire that long ago junked it's 350ci for three old landmower engines welded together and tied to an aging donkeys tail stuffed under the hood. I wouldn't even attempt to debate anyone on the travel to Cuba for personal reasons. But perhaps put this way one may understand my rational. My Daughter goes to school in Wein. If a certain paper hanger had survived and still ruled today, there is no way she would step foot there.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:39   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
You're absolutely right. Ooops, I meant, you're righteously correct....er, I mean, justifiably correct. Not the "r" word, no sir-ee...er, I mean, no indeedydoo, Comrade. And "absolute" would imply something reserved for higher beings like Comrade Chairbeing Fidel, or The One its0wnself.

Politicians being such paragons of integrity, and politics so unifyingly diverse, my thoughtcrimes are unforgiveable. If I had a gun I should shoot myself, but under present circumstances will have to wait for my Government to supply this service.

The Teutonians are a little bit reticent about that sort of thing at the moment, apparently embarassment to do with one or two indiscretions in the past (they were wearing the wrong uniforms, by HUGO BOSS no less, and were also nationalists...heinous, wicked crimes). I suppose I could visit your Late Great Nation and have it done by Professional at a traffic stop, but I have an aversion to blue-gloved perverts fondling my enormous reactionary giblets and pilfering from my luggage; immigration is out.

Nevertheless, I suspect an even greater danger than crony capitalism....feudal despotism dressed in the glorious flag of proletarian equality, like all the other times when imperfect humans apply the utopian nectar of dear Uncle Karl and Cousin Tung. Maybe next time it'll stick.
Be careful, Micah . . . there is power in the Herd!
Old 03-08-2015, 15:40   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Interesting post. Being a native of S. Florida, Miami mostly, and having plenty of extended family that are Cubans of several generations I have heard so many stories of Cuban atrocities over Cafe Cubano and pastelitos that I wouldn't know where to begin. The lighter note is there are far better cigars had elsewhere. Once the old real Cuban tobacco farmers fled they took with them generations of farming knowledge. Classic cars from the 50's? This isn't quite the Latin Barrentt-Jackson show. More like an old rusted out 57 Chevy BelAire that long ago junked it's 350ci for three old landmower engines welded together and tied to an aging donkeys tail stuffed under the hood. I wouldn't even attempt to debate anyone on the travel to Cuba for personal reasons. But perhaps put this way one may understand my rational. My Daughter goes to school in Wein. If a certain paper hanger had survived and still ruled today, there is no way she would step foot there.

My experiences as well, Tellie.
Old 03-08-2015, 15:47   #24

Quote:
Rat who out about what? Your comment makes no sense.
Natraps has been quite open about guns on board in the past and currently about going to Cuba. Or is the video not about natraps?
Ya I think this thread going in two different directions. Guns are not part of the video. The video is not about natraps at all. The video was posted by natraps and is a youtube channel from S/V Sea Wolf who created a video of their entering and leaving Cuba. Even though S/V Sea Wolf themselves posted the video (which probably wasn't too swift of an idea) I don't I would have reposted a video that might bring hardship to them in the future.
Old 03-08-2015, 16:10   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Are we still arguing about this? Go to Cuba for Neptune's sake! The embassy is open, diplomacy is being restored, the USCG isn't stopping boats anymore, we removed Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism, you don't need to register to go...

Just go... no one cares!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 16:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Are we still arguing about this? Go to Cuba for Neptune's sake! The embassy is open, diplomacy is being restored, the USCG isn't stopping boats anymore, we removed Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism, you don't need to register to go...

Just go... no one cares!
I think I'm in agreement with you but the State Department website has not specifically changed to say its legal for US tourists to travel or trade with Cuba. Further I still don't see any commercial flights or ferries to Cuba yet either. Just saying. FWIW I would definitely take the risk and go.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:10   #27

Quote:
...the State Department website has not specifically changed to say its legal for US tourists to travel or trade with Cuba.
Of course. Because it is still illegal. The president can't change that. Only the Congress can. What the president can do is change the way the law is enforced, and he has basically said that his administration isn't going to enforce it at all.

So go and enjoy yourself.

Just remember that what can be changed with the stroke of a pen can also be changed BACK with the stroke of a pen. The next administration might decide to take a hard line on travel to Cuba. Not likely, but possible. Who knows? So it might be wise to check back after the next election.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:54   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Ya I think this thread going in two different directions. Guns are not part of the video. The video is not about natraps at all. The video was posted by natraps and is a youtube channel from S/V Sea Wolf who created a video of their entering and leaving Cuba. Even though S/V Sea Wolf themselves posted the video (which probably wasn't too swift of an idea) I don't I would have reposted a video that might bring hardship to them in the future.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23   #29

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

Just go... no one cares!
I repeat what I wrote on another recent thread on this subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
"Stef, what's your nationality and country of registry of your boat? If both NON-USA then that eliminates legal concerns over stopping in Cuba. Stops in Cuba could obviously shorten the legs signficantly."

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong !!!.... Don't even think about that scenario no matter what nationality you or your boat belong to..... I have had more than one US CBP Official warn me about the consequences of any boat trying to make entry into the US directly from Cuba, ...unless you can show that it meets the current strict guidelines that will allow US citizens for a very few, very documented, approved, triple stamped, all T's crossed scrutinized visits.
Read U.S. Customs and Border Protection | Securing America's Borders until you understand it very well !

The consequences generally are that if you show up at a US port with Cuba as your last country/port of exit you will be told to leave immediately.... and don't bother coming back. This is 100% true of Florida and maybe slightly less true for ports further north.
You can fight ,protest, hire lawyers etc if that is the type of fun scenario you want to include in your cruising plans.....

Bob

I will further add that upon leaving Cuba (last winter)our passports were stamped!... We left in the morning, in a hurry,... we were trying to do a daylight passage back to the Raggeds, which we did.
Now I didn't ask him(Guarda) to specifically not stamp our passports when I gave them to him (Really wasn't expecting him to as they were not stamped when we came in..) and he disappeared upto the Guard tower and then brought them back mins later and after being out at sea a few hours , I looked at them and OH F$%K!!! he stamped them both! in and out! (on a page... not on a slip of paper) .
I sweated about this when we made entry at ST Augustine from Great Sail, Ba's, thought it might stir up a hornets nest, but he (CBP guy) never blinked or mentioned the Cuba stamps and stamped US entry just below it.
I told him initially we had come from the Bahamas, had receipts, paperwork showing that we were there days ago etc.

I have read on general travel forums etc that people are reporting their passports being stamped , much since Summer 2014 so maybe a new directive from the Castros ?
Do not under any circumstance think that anything has changed... despite Obamas' speeches and Admin policy shifts.
If you feel like testing the waters and enjoy CBP interrogations, immediate refused entry and hiring Lawyers from outside the US... then have at it.
For everyone, US citizens or not, my remarks above apply from my own experience and observations.
If you go to Cuba just do not go directly back to the US unless you meet the above "US citizen" rules.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:29   #30

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

what on earth is this whole thread about?

Is this a Yankie thing or something? I follow this young couple with their video releases through Patreon. It's been quite interesting. But what now is all this excitement about Cuba about. You all seem to be acting like they weren't aloud to go there or something.

And We in Australia have always been able to get Cuban Cigars and frankly, there not what American movies suggest.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, sail, yacht