Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 14:22   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
Crooked/Acklin Islands

I was wondering if anyone has sail to the islands, and would like to share their experiences or knowledge about them! We have been to Long Island, but would like to visit some remote islands! Thank you.
Jamoco55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:46   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Crooked/Acklin Islands

I have, but unfortunately did not explore a lot. We anchored at Acklins to wait for a weather window to jump to Jamaica and the window came quicker than expected.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:47   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamoco55 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has sail to the islands, and would like to share their experiences or knowledge about them! We have been to Long Island, but would like to visit some remote islands! Thank you.
We recently sailed past during our passage from Inagua to Georgetown and I can tell you it is very pretty and good wind but flat water in Easterlies.

I can’t say much else because we didn’t stop and night fell halfway through
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Hi, if you check out the u tube family ‘sailing trio travels’ se2 episode11, is a trip from Clarence town to Turks and Caicos, stopping in French wells,it looks pretty empty/ remote. Nice boat choice by the way !
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 14:45   #5

Boat: Vagabond 42

The bight between Acklin and Crooked was one of the most magical places we have ever been. We went that way going from Provo to the Exumas. The bight between the two islands is a huge sand flat that dries out at low tide. At low tide we saw HUGE flocks of flamingos. When the tide starts running out, it looks like a freeway of fish leaving the flat. It is really beautiful. The problem with it is that there is no cover at anchor. It is really cool place but when we saw weather building up in the south east, we knew it was time to head on up Long Island to Stella Maris. (and BTW... Long Island is aptly named... it went on forever)!
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 16:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Years ago spent a couple of days anchored in Atwood Harbor on the NE corner of Acklins Island. Walked down to the very small settlement of Chesters to check on availability of supplies. If I recall they had a few onions, a handfull of dusty cans, a few sodas and not much else.

We were cruising long term with limited water and the old guides showed a well near the harbor. We hicked over with a bucket and soap and had a wonderful fresh water shower.

The waters were spectacular. If you're going byit's a highly recommended stop.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote