Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 01:04   #1

Boat: FP 38
Costs of entering countries, fees, taxes, hidden charges of caribbean cruising.

Hi, we're planning on cruising the Caribbean and central American countries next year.
Having only ever done local coastal sailing, i was wondering what to expect from different countries and ports when it comes to fees of entry.
I heard some charge $300 to enter, is that correct?
Are my dreams of free living about to come to a rude awakening?
Thats Half the reason I wanted to get away from land taxes, tolls and parking meters. To be free and self sufficient. .....
Old 17-10-2016, 01:58   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Costs of entering countries, fees, taxes, hidden charges of caribbean cruising.

Most countries in the Caribbean charge anywhere from 2€ (the French ones) to $20-$30 for clearing in. Each country has its own rules regarding length of stay, costs vs. boat size, etc.

The most recent online information can usually be found at Countries —

The Bahamas, I believe, charge around $300 and if you want to cruise around Anguilla that will cost you dearly as well (just staying the clearance port is cheap), but apart from that most countries in the Caribbean are somewhat welcoming of cruisers.
Old 17-10-2016, 02:51   #3

Re: Costs of entering countries, fees, taxes, hidden charges of caribbean cruising.

The 300.00 you cite for Bahamas is a cruising permit for all of the Bahamian islands and not entry fees. Anguilla will cost you NOTHING to check in if your vessel is under 20 ton. Anguilla has an area that is deemed as a marine preserve area that cruisers enjoy seeing and sailing around
. There is a cruising permit required for cruising this area but not for staying or checking out the Island of Anguilla. The Dutch side of St. Martin charges to check in. $35.00 each I believe and a high fee for going under the bridge and anchoring in the lagoon. French St.Martin is free and costs nothing for entering the same lagoon. BVI is cheap as are most other islands throughout the Caribbean, but even BVI charges to moor up and check out the baths. The Islands have to pay for the upkeep of moorings and other costs associated with these type of attractions which are why cruising and mooring fees are charged.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 03:42   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic and Mexico all have high fees required on check-in. They range from $100-$300.

After those countries the fees are really cheap until you get to Grenada. Then its costs about $60 for the initial check-in and about $20 each month.

However.. I laugh about your "Not Paying Taxes/Fees" idea. You are about to get a rude awakening as most of these islands do not have taxes, except on goods purchased. Your rude awakening will come the first time you purchase coffee, oil, diesel, cleaning products, ect ect.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 04:06   #5

Thanks for the noonsite.com link. Any other great sailing links pertinent to my learning greatly appreciated
Old 17-10-2016, 04:36   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawatuman View Post
Thanks for the noonsite.com link. Any other great sailing links pertinent to my learning greatly appreciated
www.windyty.com
Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather
www.predictwind.com
Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!

Those websites will become your life.

Buy this book if you plan on going from Florida to the island chain! Especially if you don't have offshore experience.
https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu...ns+thorny+path
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 06:15   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Some countries charge heaps, some charge nothing.

You can cross reference at least the following sources:

- Reed Caribbean (outdated),
- Doyle's (outdated),
- the country's customs&immigration homesites (unreliable),
- noonsite (up to date and relaible but vastly inacurate at places).

The above should give you a general picture of who charges how much. Where things change, it means the fees now are higher than yesterday.

MIND mooring fees where moorings are obligatory.

Do your homework and you will avoid 95% of the pitfalls. The remaining 5% is adventure. That's why people do it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 06:19   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

From Mexico Southward about everything is a rude awakening. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 06:27   #9

Oh i see, i really thought all these charges were included in the price of my boat.
Old 17-10-2016, 09:12   #10

crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:31   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Caribbean and what peoples perception of what the Caribbean is so vastly different you can not get a decent answer on forums.

Use noonsight.com
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:33   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Another good website for you

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 13:40   #13

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

Going into the Lagoon and out of the Lagoon on Sint Maarten (Dutch side) - under the Dutch bridge and for a 1 week stay on the Dutch side cost us $27 total. It is based on length (38 foot sailboat).
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:00   #14

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic and Mexico all have high fees required on check-in. They range from $100-$300.

After those countries the fees are really cheap until you get to Grenada. Then its costs about $60 for the initial check-in and about $20 each month.

However.. I laugh about your "Not Paying Taxes/Fees" idea. You are about to get a rude awakening as most of these islands do not have taxes, except on goods purchased. Your rude awakening will come the first time you purchase coffee, oil, diesel, cleaning products, ect ect.
Your are right about this. However, the provisionning cost in Bahamas and the other Islands is quite high some times. In Bahamas, the last I been there, 24 can of beer cost me over $55.00 . Things like fruits are very dear...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:30   #15

Boat: Leopard 40

[QUOTE=Zanshin;2236823]Most countries in the Caribbean charge anywhere from 2€ (the French ones) to $20-$30 for clearing in. Each country has its own rules regarding length of stay, costs vs. boat size, etc.
QUOTE]

As of last year, most of the French islands were about 5 Euro to clear in.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, fees, rib, taxes