Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 05:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: St Francis 50'
Clearing to St Martin from USVI

hello All, My wife and I are planning to head to St Martin within the next week or so and have not been there in years. We are fully vaxed w boosters within last two months we also have a small service dog with all her papers updated.
Questions: Better to clear in on French or Dutch side? we are staying at a marina on the Dutch side for about 4 days.Also do we need to clear out of USVI prior to clearing in either side fo St Martin? Thanks, Steve Carroll, Whats App 443 223 4695
Old 22-02-2022, 05:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clearing to St Martin from USVI

I only ever clear in French side.. drop the hook in Marigot Bay and dinghy in, tie up near the ferry port and go into the office.
15 minutes in front of the computer filling in the form and its done.
I think evidence of the last port is usually enough, I don't think the USVI does Zarpe's.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".

"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 05:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: St Francis 50'
Re: Clearing to St Martin from USVI

Thank you for the prompt and helpful response!
Old 22-02-2022, 06:08   #4

Boat: 1969 Frers custom, 39.5ft Sloop

It's also been ten years since I was last there, so take that for what its worth. Unless they've changed the rules, if you clear in on the French side (and Marigot is super convenient), you'll still have to clear out and then clear in on the Dutch side just to move your boat to the marina on that side of the island. You can drive circles around the island all day and not have to deal with customs, but the moment the boat is involved you have to clear in as though it's a new country.

Back then, the Dutch customs in various islands had a big 40ft black rib, and would go out with 6 guys all in tactical gear to tell folks to turn around and clear out/in, and occasionally check papers. They were nothing but polite and professional, but seriously intimidating!
SVQuestOfPaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 06:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I also anchor in Marigot. Then go to Island Water World to check in.

If you dont know where IWW is stop at Shrimpies (in canal to lagoon) to ask, or the fuel dock, quite obvious.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 09:13   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

If you go into Marigot and dinghy in, go to the Island Waterworld office and clear in there for €5 euro instead of paying big bucks at the ferry terminal.

addendum - I see hpeer gave that advice first, I missed that. The first couple of years I'd clear in at the ferry and get charged fees around 20-30€ or more and didn't realize that in France there is a mandated 5€ charge for clearances, all the rest of the charges and fees are just someone making an easy buck.
Old 22-02-2022, 09:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
If you go into Marigot and dinghy in, go to the Island Waterworld office and clear in there for €5 euro instead of paying big bucks at the ferry terminal.

addendum - I see hpeer gave that advice first, I missed that. The first couple of years I'd clear in at the ferry and get charged fees around 20-30€ or more and didn't realize that in France there is a mandated 5€ charge for clearances, all the rest of the charges and fees are just someone making an easy buck.
French side introduced an anchoring fee for Marigot Bay.. you likely paid for the first 5 days when clearing in.

Anchoring: There is an anchoring fee charged in Marigot Bay of 5 Euros per day, with an initial 20 Euro charge on arrival. There is no charge for French lagoon, Grand Case, etc… only for Marigot Bay.

Old 22-02-2022, 10:04   #8

Boat: Cal-40

As I do yacht deliveries between these islands I do this on a regular basis. Ok, first you need to clear out of the USVI. Cruz Bay on St John is your best place as it’s less busy and more laid back. They open there at 8:30 each morning. Then without doubt the French side is much much more easy to deal with then the Dutch. Anse Marcel or Marigot Bay have places to clear. In Anse Mitan it a small shack right next to the small fuel dock in Marigot Bay it the fuel dock that you will see on your right in that small channel passage that goes into the inner bay. In both cases use your dingy. All clearance is done on a in-house computer and will cost you 5 or 10 euros. There will be no questions about Covid ****. Now the Dutch side sucks, you need to have a Covid test in advance and show all your vaccine papers. Technically if you clear your vessel into the French side your supposed to clear out of the French side and clear into the Dutch side . Of course this only applies to the water. You can rent a car or walk if you want back and fourth and so one cares. Most just clear into the easy French side then move their boat to the other side and say nothing but it’s up to you of course. Dollars are the preferred currency on the island. Fuel, food and most supplies are the cheapest you will find in the eastern Caribbean because they have very low taxes on Saint Martin.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 10:11   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
French side introduced an anchoring fee for Marigot Bay.. you likely paid for the first 5 days when clearing in.

Anchoring: There is an anchoring fee charged in Marigot Bay of 5 Euros per day, with an initial 20 Euro charge on arrival. There is no charge for French lagoon, Grand Case, etc… only for Marigot Bay.
Unfortunately that is not quite correct, I've anchored in Grand Case and taken a taxi in to Marigot to clear in at the ferry dock before and was still charged. But now I avoid the ripoff at the ferry terminal and clear in at IWW. I used to use the Capitanerie at Anse Marcel until Irma destroyed it.
Old 22-02-2022, 10:15   #10

Boat: Cal-40

Quote:
Unfortunately that is not quite correct, I've anchored in Grand Case and taken a taxi in to Marigot to clear in at the ferry dock before and was still charged. But now I avoid the ripoff at the ferry terminal and clear in at IWW. I used to use the Capitanerie at Anse Marcel until Irma destroyed it.
They have rebuilt the capitainerie at Anse Marcel. Only problem with Anse Marcel is it’s more exposed to the NE winds and can get rolling at times
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 10:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

You need to clear out of US waters everywhere, Alaska, Hawaii, lower 48 states, Guam, American Samoa, USVI, Puerto Rico, etc.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 11:17   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You need to clear out of US waters everywhere, Alaska, Hawaii, lower 48 states, Guam, American Samoa, USVI, Puerto Rico, etc.
U.S. citizens do not need to "clear out" of US waters when departing in a yacht, (or departing in a car or airplane for that matter). If you really need a piece of paper where you are going, you could download the CBP Form 1300. Perhaps the harbormaster or other local will sign it for you before you leave.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 12:34   #13

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Right, Dooglas

You Clear back INTO the USA if you've been abroad but you never have to Clear OUT!
Old 22-02-2022, 13:25   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Did you tell them you were anchored at Grand Case and not Marigot Bay.?

Old 22-02-2022, 13:43   #15

Location: Brisbane Australia, heading west after cyclone season
Boat: 2015 Hylas 56

Dutch side isn't that bad to clear in but you do need to fill out an online form for approval, get the covid insurance which is about $15pp but do NOT need a covid test result to check into Dutch side. French side is so much easier. If moving the boat from the french side to the dutch side you will need to check out of French side and into the Dutch side but you do not need to fill out the online form for approval to enter the Dutch side. So it is much easier to enter in the French side then move the boat over to the Dutch side. If anchoring in Dutch side they do charge a nightly anchor fee of something like $8 a night.
We just left Marigot about 3 weeks ago after staying there for 5 nights. We checked in at IWW for 3 euros and checked out there. There was no charge for us for anchoring in Marigot.

We are in the USVI now and when checking into Cruz Bay St John I asked the customs officer if we need to check out to go to the Bahamas he said yes since we are going to a foreign country. We have never done that before for going to the Bahamas but I guess we will this time.
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Martin