Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 14:45   #16

Re: Clearing to St Martin from USVI

Hi...very interesting to hear all the input. I am currently in Sint Maarten (Philipsburg) for the second time in the last month and just came here most recently from Marigot. Prior to that I was in Guadeloupe, arriving there from USVI. Leaving USVI, bound for Guadeloupe, we did Covid testing as required for French islands but was never asked for the test results, either in Guadeloupe or St Martin. In addition we never cleared out from USVI...I've heard that's now an issue going to Mexico from the US but not elsewhere and certainly not in the Carib as far as I know. Clear in in French islands is easier than in Dutch but only because you have to go to Dutch customs/immigration office rather than just use a computer. If you come into Philipsburg to a marina you'll probably be coming to Bobby's Marina (15 minute walk from here to immigration office) & I say "here" because we're in the marina waiting for repairs. Here on the Dutch side you pay when you leave and I think that includes a small daily anchoring fee. If you go into Marigot, you can clear in at Ile marine chandlery which as mentioned is at the fuel dock as you enter the lagoon. here there is no charge (biz hopes you'll give them some biz) and no anchoring fee either. Also our experience is that Marigot is more rolly than Philipsburg if that matters.
patfarrell1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 15:08   #17

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. Have not been there ....yet, but absolutely plan on going.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 08:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: St Francis 50'

All great info thank you all..., as we are going directly to Blue Pearl Marina on the Dutch Side next Monday we'd like to do it as painlessly as possible, w are a 50 ft St Francis cat 26.5 beam, I assume we can get through the canal on the French side, clear in and fuel ups at IWW and head over to Blue Pearl where we are trading in our 14 AB Rib at Outdoor World. Would it make sense to then leave through Simpson Bay bridge on the Dutch side to head back to St Thomas? Thanks Steve
Old 23-02-2022, 09:24   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Active Captain shows Sandy Ground bridge clearance as 30 feet.

Lots of current through there at times.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 09:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: St Francis 50'

Hello A, I just spoke to the bridge tender at Simpson Bay and she was most helpful, said I could pass through at the appropriate time, dock at the marina and dinghy back to the police station to check in, so I think that sounds like the simplest, if not the
cheapest plan! Thanks again

Steve Carroll
Old 23-02-2022, 10:45   #21

Location: Brisbane Australia, heading west after cyclone season
Boat: 2015 Hylas 56

Blue Pearl is on the Dutch side so you do need to check in on the Dutch side. There is no sense in going into the lagoon on the French side. No problem entering the lagoon on the Dutch side. I believe you do have to complete the EHAS form (https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/) for approval before going to Dutch St Martin. You will pay for the trip through the bridge when you check in and check out at the police station.
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:36   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The Caribbean islands near the USVI are accustomed to the US "no checkout" system, but I got in trouble for jumping from St Croix straight to Bequia. Fortunately they took a recent fuel receipt in St Croix as proof that I hadn't been ignoring the rules for prompt check-ins.

The Mexican harbormasters on the west coast are cool with no US zarpe, but the Isla Mujeres guy is famous for demanding one. Of course he can solve your problem for a little cash.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 05:19   #23

Boat: Catalina 42

We just got back to USVI after a month on the Dutch side.

If you are going Dutch side you need to show vax proof using their online EHAS system and pay the fee. No test needed if vaxxed. Print and bring the QR code to the customs office by the bridge.

And you MUST clear out from USVI and get a zarpe. Cruz Bay is a good place to check out. Dutch immigration will ask for it and can deny entry if you can't prove where you arrived from. Ask me how I know.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 06:06   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Anyone have experience using a French Passe Sanitaire for proof of vax? Do the Dutch accept it?
Guadeloupe or others?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 09:47   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 57

It only takes 10 minutes to clear out of the USVI at Cruz Bay. They are used to people who sail beyond the BVI to ask for the form and have even highlighted the (few) fields on the form (which is designed for commercial vessels) that need to be filled out. I don't know how often I've been in those offices to clear in and out and have always been dealt with swiftly, courteously and efficiently. Unlike next door in the BVI
Old 04-03-2022, 06:51   #26

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We live in the USVI. As Zanshin said (he knows), we always check out when heading South and get our check out papers from the USVI. This is not necessary for going to the BVIs.

Why bother? When the St. Croix customs & immigration office at the airport was closed in July 2020, we could not check out. We got hassled checking into Grenada for not having the paper work. French islands probably would not care. Dutch and English islands are sticklers for the rules. Check out of the USVIs, it doesn't cost anything but a bit of time.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:09   #27

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I only ever clear in French side.. drop the hook in Marigot Bay and dinghy in, tie up near the ferry port and go into the office.
15 minutes in front of the computer filling in the form and its done.
I think evidence of the last port is usually enough, I don't think the USVI does Zarpe's.
If I were you, I would be more worried about the long term side effects from the bogus shots you got!!
Starfish 2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:27   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clearing to St Martin from USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish 2018 View Post
If I were you, I would be more worried about the long term side effects from the bogus shots you got!!
People have been saying that about my cigarettes for the last 65yrs..
Anyway, I'm a wrinkly approaching sunset and making a few bucks sailing OP's boats to pay for my luxuries seems worth the risk, been doing dangerous (for many) sh1te all my life..
Why change now..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:36   #29

Boat: Catalina 350

Right-on! Man's got to know his limitations. You, sir, do! Keep in keeping on!!
Starfish 2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:36   #30

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
When the St. Croix customs & immigration office at the airport was closed in July 2020, we could not check out. We got hassled checking into Grenada for not having the paper work. French islands probably would not care. Dutch and English islands are sticklers for the rules. Check out of the USVIs, it doesn't cost anything but a bit of time.
It is easy to download and fill out the CBP Form 1300. It is really for commercial vessels to clear into and out of the US, but I'll bet that if you fill out one and have any local official, such as a harbormaster, sign it then everyone would be happy. Port officials just want their piece of paper. (and I would guess that some minor Dutch official on Sint Maarten probably doesn't know whether or not your mother-in-law is authorized to sign Form 1300s, for that matter)
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Martin