Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2022, 04:06   #1

Dry Tortugas research natural area and discharge

Hello,
The RNA of Tortuga basically prohibits all overboard discharge, and the 1 mile anchoring radius around garden key falls within the RNA.

I do not have a grey tank, but I can close the sink off and just wash dishes in 5 gallon bucket for the time I'm in the RNA. I think this is totally kosher.

I do not have seacocks on my bilge pumps though. I can disable the pumps in park waters but am wondering if this is sufficient.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 04:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Dry Tortugas research natural area and discharge

Yes the Park Rangers will be out to check for compliance..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 04:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Yes the Park Rangers will be out to check for compliance..
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Does this mean, "Yes[, this is compliant, and] the Park Rangers will be out to check for compliance.." or is it just a statement that the rangers will be out to check for compliance?

Thank
Old 23-02-2022, 04:57   #4

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

This is interesting. It seems most US boats don't have grey water tanks. At least non of the boats I have owned, been on or chartered have had them. Lots of people anchor around the Dry Tortugas. I find it hard to believe they are actively checking and enforcing absolutely no discharge of any kind.

This is not advice, only a curiosity on the subject. We chartered out of Key West last summer and were planning on spending our time in the Dry Tortugas but the weather wasn't in our favor. I did do a little checking around on the internet and with the charter company about the Dry Tortugas and no one ever brought grey water up as a concern.

Following in interest as to what the reality is because it is a trip I still plan on hopefully making and don't like surprises and don't want to be "that guy". I generally try to follow the rules and wishes when visiting places. Especially rules about dumping black water from my boat. I have to admit it is more than little gross and disheartening to be enjoying some beautiful anchorage or snorkeling spot only to have a piece of sh*t, from a piece of sh*t that didn't follow the rules float by.

Thanks
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 05:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
This is interesting. It seems most US boats don't have grey water tanks. At least non of the boats I have owned, been on or chartered have had them. Lots of people anchor around the Dry Tortugas. I find it hard to believe they are actively checking and enforcing absolutely no discharge of any kind.

This is not advice, only a curiosity on the subject. We chartered out of Key West last summer and were planning on spending our time in the Dry Tortugas but the weather wasn't in our favor. I did do a little checking around on the internet and with the charter company about the Dry Tortugas and no one ever brought grey water up as a concern.

Following in interest as to what the reality is because it is a trip I still plan on hopefully making and don't like surprises and don't want to be "that guy". I generally try to follow the rules and wishes when visiting places. Especially rules about dumping black water from my boat. I have to admit it is more than little gross and disheartening to be enjoying some beautiful anchorage or snorkeling spot only to have a piece of sh*t, from a piece of sh*t that didn't follow the rules float by.

Thanks
Foster

https://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisit/upload/Park-Regulations.pdf

This is the latest park rules I have found. If you search yourself, the PDF that is still up on their site with a picture of a t-top fishing boat is old, from '07.

The rules about grey water are made pretty clear in it.

If I can't get good clarity, I may just buy some PVC valves to allow me to close the bilge discharge while I'm in the park. They're above the water line so I'd feel safe-ish for the few days I'm planning on being in there. I suppose I could also just bung them.

- AT
Old 23-02-2022, 05:46   #6

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

You don't need to block your bilge pump nor your greywater because you cannot anchor in the RNA.
A direct quote from the link you provided.
No anchoring is
permitted in the RNA.
Old 23-02-2022, 05:50   #7

Having sailed there a couple times I have never been asked or seen anyone checked for compliance. There are few US vessels set up to handle grey water because it is restricted in only a handful of places in the US. I'm certain that the number and variety of boats I've seen there could not have been in compliance. I would however check if there is an exclusion to the rule for the main anchorage at the fort. It is excluded from many of the fishing restrictions.
CSYChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 06:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
You don't need to block your bilge pump nor your greywater because you cannot anchor in the RNA.
A direct quote from the link you provided.
No anchoring is
permitted in the RNA.
Where did you read this. The rules I found state it is restricted to sandy bottom, within 1nm radius of the garden key light. Elsewhere, there in no anchoring.

The 1nm circle is within the RNA, so I read it not only as you can anchor, but you can anchor overnight. This also doesn't answer the question about bilge discharge prevention.

- AT
Old 23-02-2022, 06:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSYChip View Post
Having sailed there a couple times I have never been asked or seen anyone checked for compliance. There are few US vessels set up to handle grey water because it is restricted in only a handful of places in the US. I'm certain that the number and variety of boats I've seen there could not have been in compliance. I would however check if there is an exclusion to the rule for the main anchorage at the fort. It is excluded from many of the fishing restrictions.
I think I may have to try and get someone from the park service on the phone to see if this last part (the 1nm radius with multiple exceptions) is the case with the RNA discharge rules.

- AT
Old 23-02-2022, 06:16   #10

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

It must be that the 1 mile radius is an exception to the RNA. The rules do not say this, but reading the relevant parts point to this.
Anchoring is restricted to sandy bottom. Overnight
anchoring must be within one nautical mile of
the Garden Key Harbor Light. No anchoring is
permitted in the RNA.

and
Fish or chumming
materials used for fishing, water generated by routine
vessel operations such as greywater and deckwash,
and uncontaminated bilge water are permitted,
except in the RNA, where discharge materials of
any kind are prohibited (outside of cooling water or
engine exhaust).
Old 23-02-2022, 06:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
It must be that the 1 mile radius is an exception to the RNA.
That's the way that I read it also.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 07:59   #12

Never had anyone check me when anchored in the designated anchorage. Never seen nor heard of anyone having greywater tanks.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 10:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

We were anchored just outside the Forts snorkel beach, a designated anchorage on AC, and we where asked by the NP Rangers for permission to board to check our head compliance. We advised we had a composter..their response was “. . have a good day..” and departed over to another vessel close by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05CA0114-4873-4C2D-9AE6-C0F057E4FC6A.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	253426  
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 11:28   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
We were anchored just outside the Forts snorkel beach, a designated anchorage on AC, and we where asked by the NP Rangers for permission to board to check our head compliance. We advised we had a composter..their response was “. . have a good day..” and departed over to another vessel close by.
Same response we got the last time we went there.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:01   #15

Quote:
Interesting! And no questions about other discharge?

I, too, have a composting head.

- AT

Tags
arc, dry tortugas, research