Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
Antigua to Guadeloupe

I am chartering out of Jolly Harbor Antigua at the end of January for 7 days on a 42 foot monohull. We would like to do about 4 or 5 hrs sailing per day then anchor at locations with snorkeling or shopping plus beach bars and somewhere to eat at night. I was looking at clearing out of Jolly Harbor, going to carlisle Bay (day 1) then leaving within 24 hours to sail to Deshaies. Clear in at Deshaies and stay the night (day 2), then motor / sail down to Pigeon Island and then to Isle des Saintes (day 3). Back up to Deshaies (day 4), then on to Falmouth harbor (day 5) to clear back in to Antigua. Deep bay onto Dickerson bay (day 6), then St john's in the day and back to Jolly Harbor (day 7) to leave for home the next morning. My charter company limits sailing to between 07:00 to 17:30. I am OK with a lot of sailing, but the admiral wants to keep it to around 4 or 5 hrs, but would be OK with longer providing there is time to see where we get to. I know that she would like to spend at least 1/2 a day in English/Falmouth harbor.

Given that I have to clear in and out of the islands am I trying to do too much in a 7 day charter - would I be better just sailing around Antigua? I have thought of going up to Barbuda but really would prefer to have beach bar / restaurants at night - could cook on the boat one night though. I am OK with water sailing">blue water sailing (sailed Bermuda to the caribbean), but the admiral would not like much over 20 kts or 10 foot swells, so if the weather forecast is above this we would probably skip the trip to Guadeloupe, and keep on the ewst sides of the islands.

Any suggestions / comments please.
neilsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23   #2

Re: Antigua to Guadeloupe

Checking out of Jolley is an experiance in it self.I call it the 3-door suffle!But more later
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, neilsty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Sounds like a good plan for someone who likes to get some good sailing in on a charter vacation.

Carlisle Bay to Deshaies is 43 nm--six hours if you can average 7 kts. I've never found the Customs office to be open in Deshaies. After four tries, I gave up trying and just waited until Les Iles des Saintes to clear in and out. Never had any problems doing it that way. It's been a few years, so they may have set up self-service computers for clearance in Deshaies by now. You can ask when you get there, or maybe someone here on CF knows.

Deshaies to The Saintes is 32 nm, so you can easily stop at Pidgeon Island for snorkeling and lunch--I've done that myself, and there's no need to rush. I'd skip St John. There are much better places to visit on Antigua.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:48   #5

Thanks Hud3. From what I have found on the internet you can check in on line at le Pelican internet cafe in Deshaies when it is open. From other posts on this forum i get the impression that Guadeloupe is fairly laid back about checking in - it seems that the crew can go on shore and check in when you are able.

Where would you suggest other than St johns?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think what I'd do in your shoes (since you said it would be OK to cook on the boat one night) is stop at Nonsuch Bay on the way back from Deshaies. There's a nice anchorage there behind he reef, north of Green Island. You could probably find a restaurant in there somewhere, if you looked around (e.g. Verandah Resort).

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59   #7

A week just in Antigua will be used up quickly.Possible stops are Five Islands,English Harbour,and if conditions are settled,Nonsuch Bay.The sail to Guadeloupe is pretty straightforward under normal weather,but half your charter will be used getting there and back.And what happens if the weather sours while your there
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28   #8

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

The South passage around Guadaloupe can be challenging in a small boat. For a one week charter you would be better sailing around the anchorages of Antigua. Check the guide book for anchorages.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:33   #9

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch
Antigua is noted for its 365 beaches , one for each day of the year. Your plan is aggressive. If you want to 'get a lot of sailing ' in you might consider circumnavigating Antigua, which gives you flexibility.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 19:32   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Just a note - Guadeloupe - Deshaies, etc. are on the French D-I-Y computer clear-in/out. The computers are normally in private businesses like cafe's, gift shops or tourist information offices. The biggest thing to worry about is what day and time of day you will be getting there. If the store/shop/cafe is closed then you do not have access to the computer. But normally waiting until the next day solves that problem.

But then you have the problem of the OP's very tight schedule and how that would fit into going all the way to Isle des Saintes and back in a week. I would suggest like some other posters that the OP is trying to do too much. Just circum-navigating Antiqua with maybe a hop up to Barbuda would consume that week quite quickly.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 07:51   #11

Thanks for all the responses. I think that i am trying to be too aggressive - i will try the circumnavigation of Antigua plus a one day trip to barbuda. Next time maybe charter for longer or charter out of Guadeloupe.

I read that Nonsuch bay has a resort plus a rstaurant at harmony hall - so we will definitely take a trip down the east side of the island.

I have an old cruising guide plus i have done a lot of googling but can't find much out about the north side of the island in towards Parham. There are a couple of anchorages shown around Crabbs and Long island - does anyone know if this area is worth going to - any bars / restaurants?

I will post about my trip when i get back to try and give some up to date info on Antigua anchorages.
Old 13-01-2012, 08:53   #12

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

The whole North Sound of Antigua is a great gunkholing area, as is Nonesuch Bay.

Parham is an interesting town. It has the atmosphere that you find down island, off the beaten path. It's been 2 or 3 years since we were there. There were some local reataurants/rum shops, but I don't recall a beach bar.

There's a beach resort at Jumby Bay, Long Island, about a mile north of Parham that probably has a beach bar. Get Chris Doyle's guide to the Leewards and check it out. You can't begin to see all that Antigua has to offer in a week. The snorkeling in the North Sound or Nonesuch Bay rivals anything you'll find around Guadeloupe.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:47   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Avoid Barbuda, it is super boring there. Very far to the bar, etc..

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:28   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

But the water's sure pretty there...

Old 13-04-2012, 18:09   #15

Hope you enjoyed your sail around Antigua. About a week ago I completed a 6 day sail from Antigua around Guadeloupe and back and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did a sail from Deshaies to Le Gosier which was a bit far for one day's cruising but all other days were perfect 3-7 hours daily sailing. If you are interested to try Guadeloupe next time, I would say Les Saintes is a must and then there are numerous other great spots to cruise, swim and dine. Our trip i've detailed on my blog (non-commercial blog) for anyone who might be interested. Might be useful for anyone planning a cruise around Guadeloupe and has information on immigration in Deshaies. Olly At Sea
OllyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Guadeloupe