Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2012, 03:37   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Antigua to Guadeloupe

Welcome to CF, Olly, and thanks for sharing the info.
Old 25-11-2014, 11:55   #17

I'm thinking of heading to Antigua this March for 7 days. Was circumnavigating the island worthwhile? I am allowed one-way sail to either Dominica or St. Martin and was thinking about that.
pnalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 12:07   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnalen View Post
I'm thinking of heading to Antigua this March for 7 days. Was circumnavigating the island worthwhile? I am allowed one-way sail to either Dominica or St. Martin and was thinking about that.
Absolutely it is worthwhile. We did it in a cat in a day, but then we were spending 10 days on the island. Some great spots to snorkel, although the Atlantic side can get a bit bouncy at times.
Old 25-11-2014, 12:56   #19

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Checking out of Jolly is an experience in it self.I call it the 3-door shuffle! But more later

I agree. I checked out the afternoon before I left. I anchored just outside the harbor. Next morning I left at Sunrise and arrived in Deshais right at Dusk. This was in December in a 32 foot Ericson.

It may not be necessary to go to Carlisle bay, unless you just prefer to. I basically just pointed the bow a little windward of Deshais and made it no problem

The winds are really light with some exciting gusts when you pass valleys on the leeward side of Guadeloupe, so I arrived in Basseterre Guadeloupe at around 1600 after leaving around 8 AM. You should try checking in at Deshais, but don't be surprised if you can't find anyone to stamp your passport.

I suppose if you go out a ways, you'll go faster.

Have fun.

I sailed twice to Deshais from Antigua and once to Basseterre,
Old 25-11-2014, 13:06   #20

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Absolutely it is worthwhile. We did it in a cat in a day, but then we were spending 10 days on the island. Some great spots to snorkel, although the Atlantic side can get a bit bouncy at times.
I agree, be careful of the reefs just south of Green Island. There appears to be lots of clear water there, but I sailed by a Catamaran stuck on the reef since he sailed too far north of the channel.

Its better to sail this counter clockwise. I did it clockwise in the round the island race and counterclockwise on my own the second time. That last time was much more enjoyable. Pay close attention to the reefs north of the island. Local knowledge is VERY HELPFUL.
Old 27-11-2014, 15:37   #21

Boat: Lagoon440 - Ripples II

Spent 2 months in Antigua, 2 months in Guadeloupe (including Les Saintes and Marie Galante) last winter - enjoyed thoroughly both islands. Will be heading back to Antigua in January where the boat is hauled out.
Been checking out the weather lately, and as expected, moderate to strong trade winds (20-25 knots, 6-8' seas) is typical this time of year and January, so to have a smooth crossing to Guadeloupe and back in 7 days, you would need to be real lucky.

Plenty to do in Antigua for 7 days, some additional ideas but some will depend on whether or not there are North swells during your week:
- Deep Bay (just besides St.John), worth a stop to climb to the fort and snorkel the sunken ship in the middle of the bay - beach is also quite nice
- Dickinson Bay (where the Sandals is so busy), but has a couple of good beach bar/restaurants
- Jumby Bay on the north end, beautiful bay, good snorkeling, but can't really access the beach or resort - beautiful anchorage though
- Bird Island, further east of Crab point, lots of small islands, lots of birds, no bars , snorkeling, gets a little choppy if the trades are strong
- Falmouth (walk to English Harbour) - a classic, big harbour, although if the trades are up, the sail to Falmouth may be more than the admiral likes. Many bars and excellent restaurants

- Barbuda - if you can make it, and no North swell, is excellent - 11 mile beach is one of the best beaches I have seen from the Exumas to Trinidad.
There are 2 bars on 11 mile beach (Outback, and the secluded resort of LightHouse Bay). If you phone ahead to Outback, they can cook a lobster dinner for you, and you can make reservations at Lighthouse.
- If in Barbuda, a must is the Frigate Nursery tour - the caretaker of the Outback Bar will take you there

And of course Jolly Harbour has several good bars, just be careful with the Caribbean Breeze's at Castaways (or at least don't have 6 of them !!)

Happy sailing
2Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 16:44   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnalen View Post
Loop de loop of Antigua and then the overnighter to St Martin (100nms) would be a great week.

Prime spots in Antigua are English Harbour, Barbuda, and St Johns. St Johns few cruisers visit but theres a free anchorage between the fish markets and the cruise ship dock.

To St Martin is a dead square run. Lovely.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Guadeloupe