Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 16:33   #31

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Am I dreaming too big?

As promised, my expenses for the last three-ish months (bought the boat Feb 22).

Category Amount
Purchase, Commissioning, Insurance $10,053
Boat Gear $2,129
Groceries $2,008
Food Out $810
Dockage $842
Medical $749
Boat Repair $828
Tools $421
Phone $142
Diesel $87
Other $131
Total $18,199

Purchase/Comms etc. also includes my flight and rental cars of about ~$800 while looking at boats (there's a lot of trash in Florida so I covered a lot of ground).
A little over $1,000 of boat gear were spent on new ground tackle and my SPOT. A large bit of boat repair was buying a new $300 water pump for the engine. I still have a bunch of groceries since I bought for a few months when I thought I'd be in the Bahamas for the majority of this cruise.
The majority of dockage and tools have all been incurred in Boot Key as I attempted to fix my engine. That, plus about $1,000 spent going to the Bahamas by air rather than by boat - would have already had an outboard on the back of it!
Food Out is relatively high for me, but I don't have refrigeration or a great galley, and at some point I just figured going out for a dinner and beer was preferable to hanging out on the boat - especially when I'm in port!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 07:53   #32

How much was insurance on your boat? What price did you insure it for and what did it cover? Thanks
donkey_jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:22   #33

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

390 for liability; 260 for comprehensive, collision, and towing.
Towing already paid for two-thirds of that total. Insured price is the purchase price ($8k). Liability covers salvage and pollution in the event that I am legally required to move the boat.
Comprehensive and collision covers me if I hit something, have a fire, a flood, or have damage from a storm. My deductible ($1k) doubles if damage is incurred in a non storm event.
What I do not have is uninsured boater coverage. I did not think these existed amongst cruisers, but I've met many who don't carry even liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:49   #34

Generally a good approach but at that price, I would leave a substantial contingency for repair (as much as double your purchase price for a low price boat). It's your first boat, so the odds of missing a pricey issue are high.

Also your timeframe is way short. Yes, you could do it but NC to the lesser antillies is a lot of miles if you actually want to stop and visit along the way. 3 months would practically be a delivery run.

Finally, a cheap boat in a far off port isn't the best for resale. You might consider a reverse trip. Buy in the islands and return to the east coast (that comes with it's own issues of buying remotely)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:02   #35

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

Sounds like a great dream. Do it. Enjoy it. But don't be surprised if you don't get it out of your system and stay hooked on sailing. Best of luck to you.
Old 18-05-2015, 09:55   #36

Valhalla, It will be probably 4-6 months. It may be too short but thats all the time I'm allocating for this. The reason I'm leaving from NC instead of the other way around is I will be sailing mostly the inter coastal waterway along the coast. This way I can familiarize myself with my boat while not being out in the open ocean. When i feel ready enough I can go in the open ocean to get used to it and be close enough to land to feel safe. Hopefully when I reach the bottom of Florida I'm ready to venture out.

Once I leave Florida my goal is the Keys, Bahamas, Turks, Dominican Rep, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands. Now whether I stop there or keep going south east or west to Jamaica/caymans I really don't know. Depends on time, money, weather and of course the boat. The list of islands that I mentioned above is just an idea. Thats subject to change of course. I could skip some or add some. Before I set out I'll defiantly have a healthy list of places to go with back ups along the way.

Donkey Jaw out
Old 18-05-2015, 09:59   #37

I will try my best to make it to Dry Totugas and Pig Beach
Old 18-05-2015, 10:15   #38

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure whatever boat you select is sound. For a trip like that you don't all the bells and whistles, but just certain reliable things.
For instance, you don't need a big array of solar panels, a wind generator etc. Just a good engine and alternator that will keep up with refrigeration (if you have it).
Get your mind in this mode and you can do it on a budget:
"if I buy roller furling for a 6 month cruise , how much will it cost me each month?" and the answer can easily be 250-300 a month! NOT worth it .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:23   #39

Boat: Vancouver 27

All the best to you!

Even a well found older boat will give you plenty of time to work on her. Many opportunities to get to know it well. Don't buy a project boat!! Many dreams begin and end in the boatyards of the world.

Ideally you'd find one with newish rigging, good sails, a solid engine, and a good pedigree.

Good luck! I'm on my way south out of NC, bound for the islands as well.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey_jaw View Post
Valhalla, It will be probably 4-6 months. It may be too short but thats all the time I'm allocating for this. The reason I'm leaving from NC instead of the other way around is I will be sailing mostly the inter coastal waterway along the coast. This way I can familiarize myself with my boat while not being out in the open ocean. When i feel ready enough I can go in the open ocean to get used to it and be close enough to land to feel safe. Hopefully when I reach the bottom of Florida I'm ready to venture out.

Once I leave Florida my goal is the Keys, Bahamas, Turks, Dominican Rep, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands. Now whether I stop there or keep going south east or west to Jamaica/caymans I really don't know. Depends on time, money, weather and of course the boat. The list of islands that I mentioned above is just an idea. Thats subject to change of course. I could skip some or add some. Before I set out I'll defiantly have a healthy list of places to go with back ups along the way.

Donkey Jaw out
In many respects, the ICW is the more challenging area to cruise (though easier to bail out at a marina or anchorage). You have to deal with tight channels, shallows and reversing tidal currents and lots of traffic. Don't plan on a lot of sailing either, especially if you are short on time and need to cover ground. If you just pop out to try ocean runs, it's often in challenging areas. The carolinas are known as the graveyard of the atlantic for a reason and while there is no need to be fearful it does demand respect and a boat in proper running order.

If you are set on a NC start and limited to 4-6months I would plan on a run to the bahamas and then see if you still have the budget/desire to continue futher. That will give you a good taste of the lifestyle with the Bahamas giving that island feel. If you decide it's not for you backtracking to Flordia will give you a better place to sell the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 11:42   #41

yep, to me the Bahamas are cruising paradise. For a cruise anywhere from Florida to Trinidad I would choose the Bahamas hands down.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 07:57   #42

Im leaving from NC for various reasons. I can search along the coast for the right boat in just a few hours drive. I can easily move what i'm taking with me in a car. I don't need to fly all over looking at boats. So I save money on plane tickets. Also the reason I"m leaving from Va/NC is on the way down I plan to stop by one of my favorite places. Ocracoke Island
Old 19-05-2015, 08:10   #43

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

The sail out to Ocracoke from either the Neuse or Pamlico rivers is a good one.

The ICW in the area uses both rivers and the Pamlico sound and is a great place to get to know your boat on some open water before you head out into the ocean.

Maybe not the cheapest place to buy a boat, but there is a big selection of used boats all up and down the NC coast.
Old 19-05-2015, 08:39   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Have a plan b and c! so if you dont make the carribean it is not a disaster.....but you still learn a lot in a short space of time, but enjoyably and without trying to kill yerself! (Figuratively or literally!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 08:42   #45

On the way down I only care to stop/visit a few places, Ocracoke, Savannah , Charleston, St. Augustine, etc. The rest I can do without unless the weather is bad or I'm going to anchor down for the night. Now I know if I'm in a harbor on an island I can just anchor down for the night once I've check in with customs. What about on the sound? Do I just anchor outside a marina or what? Also If I keep my stops/day visits to a minimum and head south, how long would you PROS guess it would take me to make it to south Florida? Leaving from NC/VA that is.

Thanks