Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 09:34   #16

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Re: 1'st time Palm Beach to Beaufort

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I usually run the boat in the Western edge of the Gulf Stream, get a lift from the current but easy to get out of the stream if bad weather approaches. Close to shore in Central and South Florida there is a south running counter-current of up to one knot.

I would just run north 24/7 unless the weather deteriorates. With the mast down and a 65 ft battering ram sticking out both ends, you might have trouble with marinas.

Going north there are several easily entered bail-out entries, Canaveral, Fernandino, Jacksonville, Charleston, and Southport. In bad weather some of the East Coast entries are difficult, St Augustine can be very challenging.
Also Hilton Head and Georgetown (Winyah Bay Inlet). And Masonboro Inlet, but Cape Fear (Southport) is better.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:39   #17

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Oh by the way, don't go in Beaufort inlet when the wind is opposite the tide. Ask me how I know.....;-)
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 10:39   #18

I would not go offshore without a mast and a sail to steady the boat.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 11:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 1'st time Palm Beach to Beaufort

It's a catamaran..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 15:13   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSails77 View Post
That’s why I’m asking for advice, I have never ran offshore with out the mast or sails. I do apologize if I may have said it wrong but that’s why I’m here getting advice. I def know you just can’t shut down offshore like an RV and park for the night. When I mean shut her down I mean we won’t navigate her at night.
Take the ICW.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 22:20   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 44

I think the safest bet based on what you guys are saying is taking the ICW at least to Brunswick where we can then take the rest of the run off shore. The ICW I think will give me the best bet to stay topped at all times on my tanks and see how she handles without a mast to Brunswick. I know it not the same conditions as offshore but I can see how comfortable I feel without a mast. In Brunswick I can then probably make the decision if I want to go offshore or not. I would guesstimate 5-7 days depending how we do it.
TwinSails77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 22:24   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 44

what was it that turned you off about going inside through Stuart to St. Aguie's or vice versa in your case?
TwinSails77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:49   #23

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Until I re-read it to find the mast gone, I was getting excited for you. Gulf Stream and open water: Aahhhh.

But you're talking about motoring the entire way, whether it's not under motor half the time or not, it's the same distance. I presume you've calculated your burn rate and have an ample supply of fuel, but despite having done that, we ran out both last year and this year (once in each direction) and put in the 4 jugs we had aboard for just that purpose. But we were motor sailing, and carry (with jugs) over 100G of fuel for a 62HP engine...

And if it's this time of year, northers abound. You do NOT want to be in the GS with wind against current, whether it's off FL and NX, or further up where it migrates a bit to the east (then WNW to E range).

The ICW is my least favorite way to travel. But if you were forced to do it, there's lots to see and do along the way, and plenty of places to fuel and water, as well as yell for help if you get in a pickle...

Either way, enjoy the trip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 17:33   #24

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSails77 View Post
I definitely will keep the Nav lights on during the night. I just have never ran north so it’s Greek to me. The mast is not in the boat it has been transported separately with a truck to the destination where I’m taking the boat. It’s going to just be a crew of two myself and one more. Considering I run the Gulf Stream and can’t do 24/ with watches should I set up certain hard points where I should be at for nightly stops or just as she goes play it by ear.
What is the reason that you cannot run 24/7 with a crew of two?
I have done it up and down the East Coast all of the time and so have a lot of other people.
With one crewmember I always run either hour or six hourwatchs and we do perfectly fine.

Al, S/V Finlandia

Tags
beaufort