Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 22:16   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 44
1'st time Palm Beach to Beaufort

I'm going to be taking a trip with our 44' catamaran from West Palm Beach to just north of Beaufort, NC for the first time probably early November. Ive made the trip down to key west a couple of times and back but never north. I'm taking the boat north to have some repairs done on the sails and the mast which has been taken down to make the journey. I'm going to pretty much run on both engines through the day and shut her down for the night. Has anyone done this trip before and if so what suggestions do you have for someone whose never gone north before. Whats the best course I should plot for this or any suggestions that you may have given the time of year and if you have previously done the trip I would greatly appreciate.
TwinSails77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 01:23   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: 1'st time Palm Beach to Beaufort

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSails77 View Post
I'm going to pretty much run on both engines through the day and shut her down for the night
That’s not how it works offshore

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 04:32   #3

Yes. You took the mast down when this would have been a wonderful sail with a bonus push from the GS.

That means you’ve relegated this to a trip up the ICW. No more advice needed other than follow the magenta line. I would note sunrise/set times along the way and plan your stops based on that. As long as you have enough fuel you can bypass the ICW and go offshore for the first leg up to Charleston maybe. That would save a lot of time. But of course you wouldn’t be able to shut down for the night.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 04:34   #4

Boat: Boatless

I usually run the boat in the Western edge of the Gulf Stream, get a lift from the current but easy to get out of the stream if bad weather approaches. Close to shore in Central and South Florida there is a south running counter-current of up to one knot.

I would just run north 24/7 unless the weather deteriorates. With the mast down and a 65 ft battering ram sticking out both ends, you might have trouble with marinas.

Going north there are several easily entered bail-out entries, Canaveral, Fernandino, Jacksonville, Charleston, and Southport. In bad weather some of the East Coast entries are difficult, St Augustine can be very challenging.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 04:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 1'st time Palm Beach to Beaufort

I would suggest getting on the edge of the Stream and running N on one engine switching every 4 hours 24/7.. use less fuel and still make distance at a reasonable speed.
Or.. do the same up the ICW anchoring every night if you don't have enough watch keepers.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 04:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would suggest getting on the edge of the Stream and running N on one engine switching every 4 hours 24/7.. use less fuel and still make distance at a reasonable speed.
Or.. do the same up the ICW anchoring every night if you don't have enough watch keepers.
Spoken like a seasoned delivery guy- although I would rotate every 6 hours. Please note that you are required to show a masthead light.

Also PLEASE don't "just shut down at night". The east coast is fairly busy, especially this time with the semi-annual migration going on. At the minimum leave your running lights on.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 05:48   #7

I definitely will keep the Nav lights on during the night. I just have never ran north so it’s Greek to me. The mast is not in the boat it has been transported separately with a truck to the destination where I’m taking the boat. It’s going to just be a crew of two myself and one more. Considering I run the Gulf Stream and can’t do 24/ with watches should I set up certain hard points where I should be at for nightly stops or just as she goes play it by ear.
Old 22-10-2021, 05:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That’s not how it works offshore
That’s why I’m asking for advice, I have never ran offshore with out the mast or sails. I do apologize if I may have said it wrong but that’s why I’m here getting advice. I def know you just can’t shut down offshore like an RV and park for the night. When I mean shut her down I mean we won’t navigate her at night.
Old 22-10-2021, 06:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 1'st time Palm Beach to Beaufort

Quote:
I definitely will keep the Nav lights on during the night. I just have never ran north so it’s Greek to me. The mast is not in the boat it has been transported separately with a truck to the destination where I’m taking the boat. It’s going to just be a crew of two myself and one more. Considering I run the Gulf Stream and can’t do 24/ with watches should I set up certain hard points where I should be at for nightly stops or just as she goes play it by ear.
If there's two off you it should be easy enough to keep going overnight.. couples do it all the time crossing oceans.
2 x 6hr watches starting at 8pm will take you through till 8am. It'll just be watching out for boats if your motoring and most likely under AP.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:19   #10

Two people, no brainer, go non stop. Wait for calm winds and seas (definitely no wind feom north to north east!). Hitch a ride on the gulf stream and motor at a steady hum. You will make great speed and get there in no time taking shifts.

If you want to break it up, id ride the stream to Charleston, rest, then go outside again to Beaufort.
leandroflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:36   #11
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

have done st augustine to stuart inside one time; never again.
several times both ways beaufort to stuart, lauderdale. also chub cay north n.s. to beaufort a few times. pretty easy. inside is a lot of work and will take a long time. offshore is easy but you will have a few nights. try it. if you don't like it, you can bail out at fernadina, charleston. st augustine is not really that bad but most markers usually missing. lots of water in the middle. fast current from the tides though. as mentioned earlier, stay over on the west side of the stream.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
That’s why I’m asking for advice, I have never ran offshore with out the mast or sails. I do apologize if I may have said it wrong but that’s why I’m here getting advice. I def know you just can’t shut down offshore like an RV and park for the night. When I mean shut her down I mean we won’t navigate her at night.
Unless you go inside up the ICW or at least go in and anchor at night you will still be "navigating" and need to stand a watch at night.

The GA and most of SC coast it isn't too practical to go in and out of the inlets and harbors every day. Problem is the coast is shallow and the channels into the harbors are 10-20 miles or more. So to go in and back out from the ocean wastes 6-8 hours of your travel time.

Better to do an overnight off the coast or just stay inside on the ICW until Charleston. North of Charleston it's more practical to go in and out every night.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:03   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

It perturbs me that you intend to go offshore without an option to raise a sail.

Engines can shut down for any number or reasons..especially motoring offshore, with the boat rocking every which way you, can count on every bit of debris in the fuel tanks to be floating around.

The west wall of the Gulf Stream is 70-80 miles due east of J'ville, so you are going to be way out there...no mast also means limited vhf range...'jes sayin'...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:11   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

If you must go offshore, I think running up the coast close to shore to say...Fernandina or Brunswick and then taking the ditch to Beaufort might be a better option. This give you the option of ducking in at several locations if things go wrong...weatherwise or engine wise, and you'll remain in vhf range for seatow.

It goes without saying, that in November, seasonal " norther's come rolling down the coast on a regular basis. Certainly the Gulf Stream is no place to be in a norther...especially with engines only.....

re-think this a bit...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 09:18   #15

Take the ICW for sure. I wouldn't want to be in the general area south of Hatteras in November. Worst water I've ever been in on one October trip. Sudden unpredicted storm.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaufort