Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 17:33   #121

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
... Our "democracy" needs to be overhauled? You are absolutely right. We need to fire the government and start over. Not just the elective offices, either. They need to take their bureaucrats with them when they go. Such is my opinion.
Interesting stuff. Can you explain better?
Old 07-01-2017, 17:34   #122

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nothing to apologise for Varkpilot..
Was just playing for dramatic effect..
Thanks, boatman. I hate to get cross-ways with good people.

Ray
Old 07-01-2017, 17:43   #123

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Some parallel there. The question is: Should they be allowed to rule themselves or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
What a question! Would you have us be slaves?
Can you explain what you mean? Why letting other people and other countries live the way that they want to live would make us slaves?

If I understand correctly all this story about terrorism is a kind of retaliation for not letting them live the way they want. The countries targeted are the ones that have intervened or are intervening on Muslim countries.

Not that I am defending any form of terrorism or even like the way they want to live but in what I am concerned it is their business and they are entitled to be left alone and live the way they want.
Old 07-01-2017, 17:47   #124

Quote:
Interesting stuff. Can you explain better?
Again I would refer you to Mr. Jefferson and the other founding fathers of America. They left us a lot of their reasoning on paper and were great advocates of "refreshing" government from time to time. One of them said something on the order of, 'From time to time, the tree of Liberty needs to be watered with the blood of traitors and patriots". Men are full of corruption and should be removed from the powerful offices they hold after a time. We have devolved into a lazy electorate and leave these men in place far too long in many cases. Stupid when it's so easy to vote them out. We have senators and representatives we continue to vote back into office for 30 or more years. Most unwise.
Old 07-01-2017, 17:50   #125
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean? Why letting other people and other countries live the way that they want to live would make us slaves?

If I understand correctly all this story about terrorism is a kind of retaliation for not letting them live the way they want. The countries targeted are the ones that have intervened or are intervening on Muslim countries.

Not that I am defending any form of terrorism or even like the way they want to live but in what I am concerned it is their business and they are entitled to be left alone and live the way they want.
That's what I told those damn Italians.. would they listen..???
Ended up having to call in Trumps Uncle Hadrian..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 07-01-2017, 18:01   #126

Quote:

Is that what you thought I meant? No. Other people and their nations can live however they please, as far as I'm concerned, so long as they don't bring their systems into the United States. Sharia law is a great example. In the countries where that is accepted by its citizens, it's their business. Just don't try bringing Sharia law into America. Blood would eventually be spilled over that, and I doubt it would take very long.
Old 07-01-2017, 18:32   #127

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

A democracy without controls leads to total oppression of minorities.
Do you really think the Christian minorities in places like Turkey and Egypt want to live under Sharia law? How about Nigeria and Boko Haram?
That's why our founding fathers created a representative republic with things like the Senate and Supreme Court.
Old 07-01-2017, 19:10   #128

[QUOTE=Bill Seal;2297726]A democracy without controls leads to total oppression of minorities.
Do you really think the Christian minorities in places like Turkey and Egypt want to live under Sharia law? How about Nigeria and Boko Haram?
That's why our founding fathers created a representative republic with things like the Senate and Supreme Court.[/QUOT

Many countries have a Senate and a supreme court, nothing all that unique or original.
Old 08-01-2017, 00:55   #129

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Well I think it's time to terminate this thread, at least as far as I am concerned.
We discussed archeology, right to be armed and finally religions.

Back to the subject, Turkey is safe (only as much as anywhere else) , at least for cruisers. All of you are invited to have free beer in our marina, if you choose to come to Marmaris..

Cheers

Yeloya

This thread has gotten totally out of control - moderator please shut it down as it has gone way beyond where it should have gone

Yeloya we may be down to spend the winter there next year as I think as much as we like Kusadasi the marina has become a Kusadasi boat only marina with little for the cruising sailor -- we will start looking for a marina sometime in July or August assuming we are sailing the area we plan to sail this coming summer
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

We did ask nicely for the thread to go back on track.
Closed Thread

Tags
Turkey