Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 15:06   #1
GLD

Sailing in Croatia

Looking for advice on first bareboat sail in Croatia. I would be interested in contacting someone who has recent experience. Thanks.
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:22   #2

Re: Sailing in Croatia

We've chartered there 8 times in 3 (or 4? Lost count!) years and just bought our own boat there. Happy to answer questions.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 16:48   #3

Make sure you have a license on Croatian list. Besides that, what are you interested in knowing/learning about? Croatia has many places for chartering and is a bucket list destination for many.
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Beware of proof of competence documents, they don't accept all of them . VHF licence also is required. Otherwise, iy may get a bit crowded in the high season (maybe not tyhis year because of Corona virus..) , it is also more expensive than Turkey and Greece in terms of mooring, provisioning, etc) Be also prepare to motor a lot..winds are non existing or very light.
Said this, Croatia is unique with it's awesome landscape, thousand of island, cultural heritage and so on.

Enjoy..

Yeloya

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLD View Post
Looking for advice on first bareboat sail in Croatia. I would be interested in contacting someone who has recent experience. Thanks.
Beware of high season in Croatia

Very very many boats

Spring and fall , when kids are back in school and Italians are back at work ...are the best seasons

Stick with the central coast region
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:59   #6

Hi,

whant do you want know?
I have been in croatia 4/5 time

Massimo
MAGOOMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 13:41   #7

Be aware that the bays can be very steep and rocky, making anchoring difficult. On our first day we left the dock at 345 pm due to delays at the charter dock. We went from Trogir to nearby Solta to try to get a mooring ball or anchor for the night. We arrived at Uvala and no mooring balls were available so we tried to anchor. It was difficult because we had only 60 meters of chain rode to anchor with, and the depth gets to 33 meters only 69 feet from shore. We looked around for a better spot but had to settle for a less than ideal situation due to other boats and available time. Ended up using a line to shore and an anchor rode that was not sufficient for the depth. That was a sleepless night but all turned out well.

You should definitely install an app on your phone called MySea. For the rest of the trip we were able to reserve mooring balls when we wanted to by calling ahead. Thank me later.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 14:22   #8

That was Uvala Tatinja. Sorry I did not see how to edit a post
Old 21-03-2020, 12:34   #9

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

we've booked a 42' Lagoon for a week this Sept. My biggest concern is finding mooring balls and anchorage. I suppose if the current situation with covid-19 doesn't iron itself out by then we may be in a position to take advantage of dockside harbor accommodations.

any recommendations on guide materials would be appreciated. i've got the Irway Adriatic Pilot Guide but it seems to be a little light on specifics.

TIA.
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 08:04   #10

Like I said, load the MySea app to find and even get phone numbers to reserve mooring balls. You will be glad you did.

Also, a close study of anchorages you may want to visit on the Navionics chart viewer would be useful in finding places where depths are conducive to safe anchoring.
Old 07-06-2020, 13:12   #11

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Zapp View Post
we've booked a 42' Lagoon for a week this Sept.
any recommendations on guide materials would be appreciated. i've got the Irway Adriatic Pilot Guide but it seems to be a little light on specifics.
TIA.
I am about to book a Cat for first week in October. I was a skipper there last year on a Cat as part of a 6 boat flotilla.

Most nights we were in Marinas which we pre-booked. ACI did not refund us money however when we changed plans one day due to weather---even though we stayed in a neighboring ACI marina---it seems they are all independently owned and do not work together.
Gnomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:17   #12

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Winds are very light - - until they are very heavy. We had 56 knots from the SE (the dreaded Jugo). Please read and beware! Croatia

Good luck

~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, sail, sailing