Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 02:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 400
Mobile data / star link etc

First time poster, so apologies if this is the wrong place to post.
We're leaving the UK for France this summer, with the hope of then continuing to Spain, Portugal and Morocco. I wondered what cruisers in the Med do regarding data / mobile phones. I will need data for work, but would ideally also keep a phone with my UK number for 2-factor authorisation texts etc.

I'm considering Starlink as well as getting a PAYG sim to keep my number. Getting a new sim/phone number in each country seems a bit much.

What do other cruisers do or recommend?
SailingHjemFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 03:42   #2

Re: Mobile data / star link etc

Very happy with my ulephone armor 8 pro dual sim waterproof phone. I keep a uk gifgaff sim and transferred the long term number for codes etc. Phone set as a hotspot.
Not sure about France but Portugal NOS & Mia both do (did recently anyway) all you can eat data sim for €1 a day. They say it's capped but I never hit a limit. Used to be a be to buy more online but now you need to go to a NOS shop, quite common.
Spain I`m using Lebara sim which is €10 for 50Gb, buy more online. Generally quite quick but can slow down a bit in the evenings.
barcoMeCasa is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob