Expensive is a relative thing.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 00:35   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Greek Tax coming?

[QUOTE=chuckr;2521853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
This year. And I have to totally disagree with you Chuck. You can stay at a village quay for free half the time and for around 20 euro the other half. Many of the quays now have power, which is extra, like 5 euro. A full lunch can be from 3 to 8 euro and dinner from 8 to 12. That is about 50% less than where we went in Malta (150 euro per night) Licata 100 euro, and on and on all the way to the Canaries.

Please do not try and lecture me on the cost in Greece - we just spent 90 days sailing the Greek islands doing over 1300 miles and over 30 ports of call - I know exactly what it costs -
we have also sailed Tunisia, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Montenegro, Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria - we think we know what we are talking about - Greece is expensive and now more expensive
forgot to add our last 3 yrs of sailing in the area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1506.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	159439  
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 03:56   #33
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I think your the lecturer, not me Chuckr. Take your Black Sea countries out of your list and I've been around them also. Though I spent most of my time in Greece and it will probably always be my favorite country. Regardless, if you didn't like it, it's good you have left.

I wonder what Turkey charges for tax?
Old 20-11-2017, 04:48   #34

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
It's absolutely useless to argue about the new tax in Greece; as usual, it will never be implemented. The words tax and Greece don't go along well..
Could be implemented but I don't expect it to be implemented either, even if it is it will only work if the port police are doing the collection, cant see to many cruisers lining up outside the tax office.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 04:51   #35

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm not going to let a 360 euro tax over a three month period (120 euros per month) keep us from cruising Greece. If it's a problem for some, maybe they need to re-evaluate their cruising/live style/finance choices.

That's less than the cost of one beer in a cafe in America per day. Maybe we should be looking at the high cost of American booze taxes instead, which make cruising in the US much higher than Greece.

Cruising Greece or Croatia is a bargain compared to America even with the cruising tax.

Well, I dunno man, you are making it sound like cruising should be reserved for the elite.. there are really nice and interesting folks worth meeting, cruising around on a budget. I can’t see anything wrong with that. For them an extra 120€ a month is a hit.. that can equate to half of your budget for groceries.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 05:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Well, I dunno man, you are making it sound like cruising should be reserved for the elite.. there are really nice and interesting folks worth meeting, cruising around on a budget. I can’t see anything wrong with that. For them an extra 120€ a month is a hit.. that can equate to half of your budget for groceries.
Of course many of us are cruising on a set budget. But isn't size the first thing you settle on when buying a boat with budget in mind? 12+m is a serious commitment, neither mooring fees nor maintenance are cheap...
Old 20-11-2017, 09:15   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
Yeah right... my fellow registered Nurses and I now make up the new working elites. Maybe some of your “really nice and interesting folks” should punch a clock more often like we do /did before they set off cruising instead of complaining about fees and taxes.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 10:11   #38

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
You’re probably just below 12m. Most 40-41 European production yachts have hull lengths of just below 12m, just because this is a popular cut of point for all kinds of rules.

For example, the Jeanneau 419 has a hull length of exactly 11.99, and isn’t the only one that stay so conveniently below 12m.
Right. Our L400 is described on the builder's certificate as 11.97 m. Never checked it with a rule...
Old 22-11-2017, 06:51   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yeah right... my fellow registered Nurses and I now make up the new working elites. Maybe some of your “really nice and interesting folks” should punch a clock more often like we do /did before they set off cruising instead of complaining about fees and taxes.
I find your assumptions quite offensive. I have read through this thread from start to finish and it seems to me that you are inferring that those of us who cruise on a budget are tight work and tax dodgers who complain about increases in taxes and prices.

We have a 14.6 metre steel boat with large water and fuel capacity which allows us to stay out of marinas and yards for three years before hauling is required for maintenance, including in the winter. Our maintenance costs are low compared to the AWBs out there. We have many friends in the cruising community and have a full and varied social life.

My husband was a trawlerman in the North Sea and Thames Estuary and I was a Registered Nurse in the British Army. I punched my fair share of clocks, both in the NHS and in conflict zones. I left at age 41 after a full career of 22 years with a small pension. That pension is enough for us to live and cruise on if we are careful. The implementation of this tax will have a significant impact on our lifestyle (which we have been managing perfectly well on my pension for the last 10 years).

It is not necessary for cruisers to have a large budget and it is insulting to infer that those that manage on less are complainers.
Old 22-11-2017, 08:34   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Well said NornaBiron, it saddens me everytime to read unfriendly, unpolite, and diminishing comments on this otherwise great forum. I used to be a mod on another forum with about 3 times more members and we had strict guidelines about taking action if the "tone" of conversation started to deteriorate from friendly to hmmm, something else. It is my sincere opinion that CF should also make an effort to improve on this.
Best regards,
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I find your assumptions quite offensive. I have read through this thread from start to finish and it seems to me that you are inferring that those of us who cruise on a budget are tight work and tax dodgers who complain about increases in taxes and prices.

We have a 14.6 metre steel boat with large water and fuel capacity which allows us to stay out of marinas and yards for three years before hauling is required for maintenance, including in the winter. Our maintenance costs are low compared to the AWBs out there. We have many friends in the cruising community and have a full and varied social life.

My husband was a trawlerman in the North Sea and Thames Estuary and I was a Registered Nurse in the British Army. I punched my fair share of clocks, both in the NHS and in conflict zones. I left at age 41 after a full career of 22 years with a small pension. That pension is enough for us to live and cruise on if we are careful. The implementation of this tax will have a significant impact on our lifestyle (which we have been managing perfectly well on my pension for the last 10 years).

It is not necessary for cruisers to have a large budget and it is insulting to infer that those that manage on less are complainers.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 09:34   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post

My wife and I are both 60 year old registered nurses who continue to punch the time clock 6 months per year. Maybe you wouldn’t be so easily “offended” if you’d chosen to punch the clock for another decade or two...

If you can’t afford Greece.... don’t go there.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:04   #42

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
Maybe there should be a tax based on your net wealth...
There is. Many places have wealth taxes for their residents.
This is perhaps also the oldest kind of tax...
In the good old days, your king or chiftain would personally come and extract taxes, when some were required to balance the books ... and I guess those would typically be assessed according to (apparent) wealth in the moment.
Net wealth is fiendishly hard to calculate, though ... because many types of asset do not have a known value.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:14   #43
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

This came up on another forum,,
New Levy to Burden Watercraft Owners Docking in Greece - GTP Headlines

There's always the ignore button for the (luckily very few) grumpy judgmental types. Not like you're going to miss much..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:18   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
There's always the ignore button for the (luckily very few) grumpy judgmental types. Not like you're going to miss much..
Old 22-11-2017, 10:22   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
This came up on another forum,,
[url=http://news.gtp.gr/2017/11/20/new-levy-burden-watercraft-owners-docking-greece/]New Levy to Burden Watercraft Owners Docking in Greece - GTP Headlines[
We've been sailing in Greece year round for almost 9 years now so have been waiting for the tax to rear its ugly head again. Puts it on a par with Croatia with the rise in sojourn tax for next year.