Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2021, 10:07   #1

European Insurance Coverage for US Citizen

We are going to be sailing in The Netherlands and Northern Europe in 2021 and 2022 (buying a boat in Europe). We are having a heck of a time getting insurance coverage as US Citizens. Most posts on insurance are a little dated and it is a very recent development (last few years) that US Nationals are having a difficult time with insurance.
What recommendations do you have....if you are US Citizen and found a solution?

Thank you,
EdenRose
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 11:20   #2

Re: European Insurance Coverage for US Citizen

EdenRose, do you live in Europe or are you still in the USA. If you have an European address, it shouldn't be an issue either in the Netherlands or in Germany.

If you live in the USA, you might have to give some insurance brokers a call. If you get nowhere fast, I might give mine a call how they handle it.

In any case best mention, you care for an insurance covering EU-waters only. That might simplify your task and lower the costs to boot.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 11:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
EdenRose, do you live in Europe or are you still in the USA. If you have an European address, it shouldn't be an issue either in the Netherlands or in Germany.

If you live in the USA, you might have to give some insurance brokers a call. If you get nowhere fast, I might give mine a call how they handle it.

In any case best mention, you care for an insurance covering EU-waters only. That might simplify your task and lower the costs to boot.
I will still officially live in the US although technically current residence will be on the boat in The Netherlands. Not sure if that will help since the insurers say they cannot insure "US Nationals" which I assume means where you are a citizen, not where you have permanent residence.
Old 25-03-2021, 11:36   #4

EdenRose: I am a USA citizen who has a sailboat in Croatia. Insurance has been difficult to find. I just (3/1/2021) received a policy from Topsail Insurance. I worked with Laura Clothier, phone # +44 (0) 1273 573 727. Website www.topsailinsurance.com. Email— laurac@topsailinsurance.com.
Good luck and enjoy your sail in Europe. Mike
azmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 12:21   #5

Boat: Hanse 430e

From what I have experienced, not having a real, permanent address makes it hard for any insurer to write you a policy. Boats move around and insurance companies want a location to find you. That said I could be totally off the mark here.

I am a US citizen, bought a boat in Malta, and Pantaneous and others turned me down. I did secure a policy from a company in Malta and I have declared Malta as my home base. I have a mailing address in Texas which is my brothers house.

The policy covers sailing in the med, not east of 30 degrees.

I suggest that you do not look at the big companies, but look at locals who may be able to insure you.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 16:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmike View Post
EdenRose: I am a USA citizen who has a sailboat in Croatia. Insurance has been difficult to find. I just (3/1/2021) received a policy from Topsail Insurance. I worked with Laura Clothier, phone # +44 (0) 1273 573 727. Website www.topsailinsurance.com. Email— laurac@topsailinsurance.com.
Good luck and enjoy your sail in Europe. Mike
thank you
Old 25-03-2021, 16:12   #7

It sounds like we need to declare residency, but not sure what the visa issues etc would be for that. We will have a permanent moorage for the year, with an address we can use.
Old 25-03-2021, 16:47   #8

Reference:

https://www.agcs.allianz.com/solutio...insurance.html

https://www.agcs.allianz.com/global-...ed-states.html
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:28   #9

Boat: Leopard 40

If you register the boat in the US, Jackline insurance will cover you.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:35   #10

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
We are going to be sailing in The Netherlands and Northern Europe in 2021 and 2022 (buying a boat in Europe). We are having a heck of a time getting insurance coverage as US Citizens. Most posts on insurance are a little dated and it is a very recent development (last few years) that US Nationals are having a difficult time with insurance.

Thank you,
EdenRose
We had our BVI registered sailboat in Europe for 3 years as US Citizen owners. We insured with Jack Martin, Annapolis (brokers) who were always able to find us good yacht coverage for the Med and for two Atlantic crossings.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post

Thank you,
EdenRose
Hi Eden Rose, I am a US insurance agent and cruiser. I have a company that will quote you for coverage in Europe. Send me an email and we can work together to get you a quote. laura@legacyunderwriters.com

Laura
SV Blue Blaze
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:58   #12

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

I live in UK and boat is in UK, but I have used YYacht who are now part of Topsail mentioned already, and they are most satisfactory.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 16:39   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblaze View Post
Hi Eden Rose, I am a US insurance agent and cruiser. I have a company that will quote you for coverage in Europe. Send me an email and we can work together to get you a quote. laura@legacyunderwriters.com

Laura
SV Blue Blaze
Please define what you can offer. Caribbean, Mexico, liability only, etc. There are lots of folks on this Forum looking for insurance ! Especially liability only or something close to it. We need liability to get into marinas for more than short term.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 18:03   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Townson 36

EdenRose, yes, the marine insurance market is contracting but you have a number of options depending upon the flag you choose and a number of other factors. We at the Marina Shop specialize in Blue Water insurance and can usually secure cover within our panel of underwriters which includes Topsail (mentioned in one response). If you wish to contact us directly please email bill@themarinashop.com

Regards
Old 27-03-2021, 15:04   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I am a US citizen with a German unlimited residence.

I have insured my US-flagged boat with Eerdman in The Netherlands. I find their rate very reasonable and they covered an incident with a Spanish tugboat in France whose wake in small harbor caused extensive damage. They didn't even charge me a deductible.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, insurance, rope