Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 18:34   #1

Boat: Regal 32 Express Cruiser
1 year boat rental in the Mediterranean??

I’m planning a 1 year cruise around the Med starting next July with my wife and son. I was planning on buying and selling a boat to meet my needs, and incurring the depreciation, maintenance and brokerage fees as my overall annual expense. Then someone suggested renting/leasing/chartering for the full year. Does anyone know if this is a possibility and if so where to look?

My overall expense budget is in the $100k range for the year. I’m budgeting around 500k purchase price. With 10% depreciation, 10% brokerage fee to sell it and interest payments on a loan, it comes out roughly to 100kish.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
davekram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:27   #2

Re: 1 year boat rental in the Mediterranean??

Great idea, if you don't ask you don't get.....try "Click&Boat" there are other peer to peer sites.
You'll most likely need an international sailing qualification.
Let me know how you get on.
Rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

You can probably find a boat to charter for a year. There could be couple of issues associated with this: as you will be far from the main base even from the base country most of the time, any repair or servicing that you might need could be a problem. Secondly, most charter boats are insured for the home country, at most for some neigbouring countries. If you charter for a year, probably you will want to visit some relatively remote countries as well, and thus the insurance policy will have to be changed. You will also have to deal with yr laundries which may not be easy everywhere in the Med. Lastly, winters are cold in the Med, go for a boat with reverse cycled A/C, genset or at least with a heater (Webosto or a kind..)

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 06:01   #4

Boat: Regal 32 Express Cruiser

I want to share an update to my own post since I’ve made some progress here that others may be interested in. Generally, it hasn’t been easy to find solutions for long term charter (which the industry really sees as anything more than a few weeks). The larger charter companies that I’ve spoken to aren’t interested, and even many of the smaller ones simply multiply their weekly rate to come up with a cost, which then becomes too expensive.

I was able to find one gentleman who runs a business specifically to support this type of long term rental. I’m currently working with him and he has surfaced a number of viable options, which is impressive given some of my complex requirements. His website is A2A-yachting.net. While we haven’t secured anything final yet, he has made more progress in a week with his knowledge and experience than i have in many months.

Other than that it’s been tough to find alternative approaches to buying/selling.
davekram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 06:44   #5

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Have you considered the new EU visa regulations that are coming in at the end of this year?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 06:46   #6

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Have you considered the new EU visa regulations that are coming in at the end of this year?
More details in this thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-279109.html
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, med, mediterranean