Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 16:52   #241

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

The countries that did well stopping the first wave are experiencing the start of the second wave after relaxing shutdowns. Without a vaccine, it would take a perpetual shutdown to stop it and that is not feasible. Learn to live with it gentlemen.
Old 31-08-2020, 17:11   #242

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
Great you guys stay home, we don’t need you in Florida this winter. Less traffic, less competition for services and restaurant tables, keep your noses in the air and freeze, it’ll keep your Covid numbers down.
I bet the businesses and communities that benefit from all that Canadian green will tell another tale.

Tourism is always a double-edge sword. Many communities rely on tourism for economic sustainability. But of course, then you gotta put up with all the "come from aways." As the saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58   #243

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Some BC communities that rely on tourism have had their best summers on record because of the stay at home crowd, many expect good winter seasons also. Restaurants are opening and I record my name and contact email when I go into have a haircut, did that in Port Hardy the other day.

With a population of 5 million, we have 24 cases of Covid in hospital and 9 in ICU, we did have a death in the last few days, numbers of positive cases are rising but trace and contact are in place, plus many new positive cases are younger party hearty type who are now in quarantine. This can be managed but it take a community to manage it.....and they wonder why we worry about US boaters.....just saying.
Old 01-09-2020, 16:20   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Some BC communities that rely on tourism have had their best summers on record because of the stay at home crowd, many expect good winter seasons also. Restaurants are opening and I record my name and contact email when I go into have a haircut, did that in Port Hardy the other day.

With a population of 5 million, we have 24 cases of Covid in hospital and 9 in ICU, we did have a death in the last few days, numbers of positive cases are rising but trace and contact are in place, plus many new positive cases are younger party hearty type who are now in quarantine. This can be managed but it take a community to manage it.....and they wonder why we worry about US boaters.....just saying.
I sure hope this is repeating across the country. I know campgrounds are packed, and the marquee areas are busy. Lets hope this is generalizing across the country. Canada has so much to offer. Why would anyone go anywhere else .

BTW, I'm traveling in BC right now on my way to a house sit on the island. Alberta plates are nearly as common as BC plates. A decent number of Saskatchewan as well, so there's lots of tourists here.

BTW, I'm planning to do some exploring while on the island. Hope to make it up to Port Hardy.
Old 01-09-2020, 16:32   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Canada has so much to offer. Why would anyone go anywhere else .

Black flies, mosquitoes and -30s C.

Other than that, it's a paradise.
Old 01-09-2020, 16:38   #246

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Crossing the island on motorbike is incredible. Especially from Campbell river to gold river, or from parksville to port alberny
Quote:
I sure hope this is repeating across the country. I know campgrounds are packed, and the marquee areas are busy. Lets hope this is generalizing across the country. Canada has so much to offer. Why would anyone go anywhere else .

BTW, I'm traveling in BC right now on my way to a house sit on the island. Alberta plates are nearly as common as BC plates. A decent number of Saskatchewan as well, so there's lots of tourists here.

BTW, I'm planning to do some exploring while on the island. Hope to make it up to Port Hardy.
Old 01-09-2020, 16:46   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post

This just makes the one month where it's warm, dry, and bug-free, all the more sweeter .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Crossing the island on motorbike is incredible. Especially from Campbell river to gold river, or from parksville to port alberny
I'll keep those in mind Chris. They look great. We're going to be based a bit south of Campbell River. I do plan to do some exploring around, but I'm more focused on marinas and possibly some remote ocean properties. But if I get the time the Gold River run looks awesome.
Old 01-09-2020, 17:15   #248

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

If you've got the time, book passage on the ferry from Port Hardy to Rupert. Cheapest cruise you will ever take and a stunning trip.
Old 01-09-2020, 18:28   #249

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:

No mosquitoes in much of coastal BC, my home Vancouver doesn’t even have screens on the windows.......and Vancouver got down to -8C last winter, that’s really cold.
Old 01-09-2020, 18:28   #250

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

You could take a page from the French Canadians. Montreal is nearly as good in the winter as the summer thanks to La ville souterraine.

They have it all figured out.
Old 01-09-2020, 18:38   #251

Quote:
I sure hope this is repeating across the country.

In Ontario, we hear that the provincial campgrounds have been busy. We stayed at a nice little resort for 2 nights in the Kawarthas last week, and they were at near capacity, while managing to stick to all the COVID rules.

Some restaurants around here are making a go of it. Not all, unfortunately.
Old 01-09-2020, 19:21   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
No mosquitoes in much of coastal BC, my home Vancouver doesn’t even have screens on the windows.......and Vancouver got down to -8C last winter, that’s really cold.

And this is why I'm snooping around here. I love the east coast, but for year round living, it's hard to beat what you folks have here on the west.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:00   #253

Boat: 20m Gulet

You all have been "had"
It's a scam-hoax. CDC figures show only 6% of the people actually died of the virus.

Here's the actual report from the CDC.
Note the graph. The cases bottomed last month

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...s1uOiSf5WkuwSo

Mainstream media is as much to blame as Johns Hopkins, Bill Gates, George Soros, the CDC, FDA and NIH. If HC had won the election - no one would have heard about SARS-CV19. That's the bottom line.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:44   #254

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by yr2030 View Post
You all have been "had"
It's a scam-hoax. CDC figures show only 6% of the people actually died of the virus.

Here's the actual report from the CDC.
Note the graph. The cases bottomed last month

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...s1uOiSf5WkuwSo

Mainstream media is as much to blame as Johns Hopkins, Bill Gates, George Soros, the CDC, FDA and NIH. If HC had won the election - no one would have heard about SARS-CV19. That's the bottom line.
Please, lets not feed the troll!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 05:25   #255

Mike:

If you make it as far as Port Hardy, do find time to turn off Hwy 19 onto the Holberg Road just south of PH. At Holberg you can follow a series of old, old Forestry Service roads as far as Winter Harbour on Quatsino Sound. Just mind you have a full tank and maybe a Jerry-can before you leave PH. Else you might have to walk back to civilization :-)!

You can also turn off the #19 onto the Coal Harbour Road a mile or two south of the Holberg Road and go to - amazingly - Coal Harbour. Coal Harbour was settled in the early 1880s by a buncha Swedes and was then called "Scandia". It's the boys of Scandia we have to thank for the fact that in BC parlance a humongous double-ended crosscut saw used for felling trees is called a "swede saw". Coal Harbour is also the place whence the RCAF saved us from an invasion by the Japanese, so I read, by patrolling the west coast of VI using Consolidated "PBY"s, known to us as "Catalina"s and Supermarine "Stranraers". The assertion may be a little off, but the Catalinas and the Stranraers were real enuff. I recall their waiting for disposal at what is now Vancouver International Airport some time in the 60s.

You will find all sorts of interesting snippets of Canadian history on VI.

TrentePieds

Tags
Canada