Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2020, 12:18   #16

Boat: Shannon 38
Re: Sailing in Times of Covid

We were in the Bahamas last year when Covid hit. I was plenty scared. If hubby fell ill, I wouldn't have been comfortable single-handing the boat home. We are unlikely to leave the States next cruising season (winter for us, since we live in FL.) If one of us falls ill in the States, it's more feasible to get to a marina and then, if needed, to a hospital. (And we'll see if the Bahamas is even open to Americans.)

re: risk category - over 60 and high blood pressure are each risk factors; likely there are plenty of cruisers in that demographic. And of course, old sailors never grow "portly," do they?! (Another risk factor.)
Old 25-07-2020, 12:57   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

For every study you can show me that says one thing, I can show you one that says another. CDC has admitted to mistakes in counting positive tests, WHO had a study that said people with known, active cases were not sheading any airborne viruses at all. Most studies I've heard of state only close, prolonged contact results in transmission. As my father used to say: "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure". Bird Flu, Swine Flu, N1H1, all the previous flus actually had pretty much the same track as COVID-19, but they didn't shut down the world for them. To me, this is all about isolating people from one another, dehumanizing other people and making everyone afraid of everyone else. For me, I will follow the common sense behaviors we were all (supposed to be) following even before COVID. Wash Hands, avoid close contact with strangers, avoid sick people, cough into arm, stay home if feeling ill. None of the recommendations made since covid are anything new.

As far as masks go, have you seen what passes for that? Cloth bandanas, cloth over the mouth (but not nose), masks over the bottom lip (not nose or mouth), masks that at best divert particulates to the side or up, but do nothing to stop them. Even masks that have fallen down so they're around the neck. But these all pass the 'must wear masks' rule. . .
Old 25-07-2020, 13:15   #18

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
296 scientists from around the globe, sending an open letter to the World Health Organization in June, demanding that they amend their statements....and then WHO doing so, is enough proof for me.

That doesn't mean it drifts around for weeks in the great outdoors, but it does mean it can travel in a room further that droplets.

What standard of proof are you looking for?

Anything other than the WHO, with their very political stance as of late I’m not really paying much attention to anything they say, especially as someone who has friends in Taiwan.

Any links to peer reviewed papers proving its airborne?
Old 25-07-2020, 15:00   #19

The 6 foot rule is not bogus. it isn't a guarantee but certainly reduces risk since the concentration of the virus is greatest in the vicinity of a person who is sheddding it. Until a vaccine or cure is available the hope for a better life lies in reducing risks since the risk cannot be completely eliminated without damaging societies even worse than they already have been. Asymptomatic people have been shown to shed viruses, some more than others. Like almost everything else about this virus, how this occurs is not understood and how many people have contracted the disease from asymptomatic people is unclear. I believe you have two important questions to answer every time you consider personal interactions with people outside your living situation. How much risk do they pose to you, and how much risk do you pose to them. the answers will vary with the amount of caution in the form of masks and distancing you are prepared to accept.
Old 25-07-2020, 15:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thannever View Post
The 6 foot rule is not bogus. it isn't a guarantee but certainly reduces risk since the concentration of the virus is greatest in the vicinity of a person who is sheddding it. Until a vaccine or cure is available the hope for a better life lies in reducing risks since the risk cannot be completely eliminated without damaging societies even worse than they already have been. Asymptomatic people have been shown to shed viruses, some more than others. Like almost everything else about this virus, how this occurs is not understood and how many people have contracted the disease from asymptomatic people is unclear. I believe you have two important questions to answer every time you consider personal interactions with people outside your living situation. How much risk do they pose to you, and how much risk do you pose to them. the answers will vary with the amount of caution in the form of masks and distancing you are prepared to accept.
Do you have a link to non China or WHO scientific data in non coughing/sneezing people spreading this?

The yearly flu shot, which is related to this virus, is no where near 100% effective

The chance of death from the corona virus is remote for people who are not already half in the grave, from my reading the major issue with this virus is how virulent it is, thankfully it’s far from deadly overall. Based upon this most in my office have concluded we ether already had it, or will get it and it won’t be that big of a deal, most of the people who it killed could not walk up our staircase and would have no hope of passing our yearly, or bi yearly, when they forget to schedule, physicals.

I think most should adopt this mindset, you’re going to get it, however you have a remote fraction of chance of death, WHEN you get it, act like a civil adult and just like always stay home until you are better, just as you should have always done when sick.
Old 25-07-2020, 16:01   #21

There are a number of sites that discuss the mutations for Covid 19. i could not find one that described any particular mutation as "at least 10 times more contagious". Please assist here. "10" seems to be a fairly arbitrary figure.

However it makes sense that the greater the number of virus particles floating around then the greater will be the probability of a mutation finding a route to "success".

We really do need to get on top of this virus. Being brave is not the same as being considerate to others or clever.

And yes. Who is the mysterious Karen eh?

I looked to the internet dictionaries only to find that: -
"The "Karen" meme is being used to describe women who commit acts in public that are perceived to be racist, such as unjustly calling the police on Black people."

I hope this use was not intended.
Old 25-07-2020, 16:12   #22

To entertain onboard suggest staying on deck using face shields. They are cheap compact, and washable. At 18” they stop 98% of infection - even more outside. Studies in Japan show 18 times more transmission inside than out. Chinese tracing study showed only one transmission outside to unmasked individual at outside table for over an hour of 7000 transmission traced. If you have comorbidity take no chances. But even for my age group those without comorbidity have under a 4% chance of hospitalization and 1% of death. With comorbidities the old salts have high risk of hospitality and death. Good news are chances of infection aren’t very different than other age groups age 19 plus. We just have a lot more of the confounding health conditions. This all gets masked by the asymptomatic and mildly infected (84%;of the infected) who never get tested. A transmission study in China showed 70% of transmissions were from those who were non symptomatic at time of transfer.
Old 25-07-2020, 17:04   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas W View Post
Why is this thread not in the COVID forum?

Because it is still open.

;-)
Old 25-07-2020, 19:23   #24

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Click image for larger version

Name:	Covid Tired.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	220018https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/news

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ms/5420534002/

https://www.thelancet.com/coronaviru...lcoronavirus20

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coron...2LxVhn9fsG6IMg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coron...ture-1.5660575

Cheers/Len
Old 25-07-2020, 19:28   #25

Boat: Boatless

Don't come to Miami...

Miami did not take covid19 seriously and as as of today in Miami-Dade County population 2.7 million, positivity rate is 30%, total cases 101,854 and deaths 1379.

Mask use is 50% at best...be grateful you are somewhere that the disease is taken seriously

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 25-07-2020, 19:36   #26

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/news
Old 25-07-2020, 19:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Don't come to Miami...

Miami did not take covid19 seriously and as as of today in Miami-Dade County population 2.7 million, positivity rate is 30%, total cases 101,854 and deaths 1379.

Mask use is 50% at best...be grateful you are somewhere that the disease is taken seriously

Not sure about that

“ Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 News found that testing sites like one local Centra Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive.
How could that be? FOX 35 News investigated these astronomical numbers, contacting every local location mentioned in the report.

The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and that the positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent.

FOX 35 News went on to speak with the Florida Department of Health on Tuesday. They confirmed that although private and public laboratories are required to report positive and negative results to the state immediately, some have not. Specifically, they said that some smaller, private labs were not reporting negative test result data to the state.

"The Department immediately began working with those labs to ensure that all results were being reported in order to provide comprehensive and transparent data," a spokesperson for the Florida Department of Health said. "As the state continues to receive results from various labs, the Department will continue educating these labs on proper protocol for reporting COVID-19 test results."“

What generates more people being glued with fear to the TV, watching more revenue generating commercials; the above story that lessens fears, or sticking with the old “if it bleeds it leads” aphorism
Old 25-07-2020, 19:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thannever View Post
My comment about the 6' rule being bogus is that for me even 10' is not far enough.
Old 25-07-2020, 20:05   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Not sure about that

“ Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 News found that testing sites like one local Centra Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive.
How could that be? FOX 35 News investigated these astronomical numbers, contacting every local location mentioned in the report.

The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and that the positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent.

FOX 35 News went on to speak with the Florida Department of Health on Tuesday. They confirmed that although private and public laboratories are required to report positive and negative results to the state immediately, some have not. Specifically, they said that some smaller, private labs were not reporting negative test result data to the state.

"The Department immediately began working with those labs to ensure that all results were being reported in order to provide comprehensive and transparent data," a spokesperson for the Florida Department of Health said. "As the state continues to receive results from various labs, the Department will continue educating these labs on proper protocol for reporting COVID-19 test results."“

What generates more people being glued with fear to the TV, watching more revenue generating commercials; the above story that lessens fears, or sticking with the old “if it bleeds it leads” aphorism

is FOX news really a valid news source and not just click bait?
please post links if you must continue with the hoax agenda that you seem so hypocritically keen on
perhaps you are part of the problem,not the solution to a rapidly developing global crisis
Old 25-07-2020, 20:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
is FOX news really a valid news source and not just click bait?
please post links if you must continue with the hoax agenda that you seem so hypocritically keen on
perhaps you are part of the problem,not the solution to a rapidly developing global crisis
A small station doing some common sense investigative reporting, YES.

Ether that or they lied and should be held to account, but that would be a very easily provable lie and one those hospitals and labs would have called out VERY quickly.

Here is the link https://www.fox35orlando.com/

I never said anything was a hoax, simply far too much fear mongering for the facts for my taste.

Tags
sail, sailing