Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 18:12   #1

Boat: a sailing boat
Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Watching news from Martinique today.

Enjoying the beach forbidden. Walking the bush tracks forbidden. Trekking forbidden. Snorkeling forbidden. Sailing forbidden. Power boating forbidden.

Gendarme on the beach requests swimmers to stop swimming. The same gendarme talks to the reporter while not wearing any mask. There are 6 of them on the stretch between Ste Anne and Club med. I wonder how much a gendarme earns. They say quite a lot.

On the same day a group of medical volunteers arrives by plane, to support ailing Martinique´s hospital services. They are welcomed at the airport with some citizens throwing hard objects and even harder words. No gendarmes in sight though. Too busy making easy money on the beach, I guess ...

The gendarmes get paid from the taxes of the people who are deprived of the right to use the beach, the country side, the boat. They are also paid from the taxes paid by the volunteers who arrived at the airport.

And no no no - do not ask me to link sources. Last time I quoted sources I heard stuff about the forum being an English forum and sources in other languages not being welcome here.

So just browse the net then use Google translate (if you are one of those world cruisers who speak the only one important language) or simply read - if you are a normal person who travels the world and so speaks more or less fluently Spanish, French and English.

Mickey Mouse pandemics and no revolution in sight ...

End of rant.
Old 13-09-2021, 20:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Thanks for the heads up. We were hoping to get to Martinique this season and hoping there would be some relief. Antigua is pretty wide open. Other islands are prisons. We will be vaccinated and ‘boostered’ when we return. It looks like travel is still restricted and COVID tests nearly $1000 to Island hop depending on location. I believe there were zero Caribbean cruiser infections last season but we might as well give it up. One wonders how long the governments can keep people prisoner and how long citizens will tolerate it.
Old 13-09-2021, 22:36   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Enjoying the beach forbidden. Walking the bush tracks forbidden. Trekking forbidden. Snorkeling forbidden. Sailing forbidden. Power boating forbidden.

Gendarme on the beach requests swimmers to stop swimming. The same gendarme talks to the reporter while not wearing any mask. There are 6 of them on the stretch between Ste Anne and Club med. I wonder how much a gendarme earns. They say quite a lot.

On the same day a group of medical volunteers arrives by plane, to support ailing Martinique´s hospital services. They are welcomed at the airport with some citizens throwing hard objects and even harder words. No gendarmes in sight though. Too busy making easy money on the beach, I guess ...

The gendarmes get paid from the taxes of the people who are deprived of the right to use the beach, the country side, the boat. They are also paid from the taxes paid by the volunteers who arrived at the airport.

And no no no - do not ask me to link sources. Last time I quoted sources I heard stuff about the forum being an English forum and sources in other languages not being welcome here.

So just browse the net then use Google translate (if you are one of those world cruisers who speak the only one important language) or simply read - if you are a normal person who travels the world and so speaks more or less fluently Spanish, French and English.

End of rant.
Perhaps if inflammatory Facebook (or whatever) BS were banned, the world wouldn't quite be in the position it's in now.

Over the last month Martinique has had by far it's worst experience with covid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mart...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Fortunately it seems their strict measures appear to have had a good effect, and the numbers are way down, though still higher than they've been throughout the rest of the pandemic.

Of course, the Johns Hopkins data above is just 'NWO' mind control, designed specifically to keep deserving retirees and young u-tubers from 'fulfilling their dreams'...

One would expect better from the 'world-travelers' inhabiting this site, but as we've seen so many times recently, any tiny inconvenience, real or perceived, brings out one's true nature...
Old 13-09-2021, 22:58   #4

Quote:

So just browse the net then use Google translate
So, umm.. posting a link with the google translate bit already embedded is a bridge too far, huh?
Old 13-09-2021, 23:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
One wonders how long the governments can keep people prisoner and how long citizens will tolerate it.
Yeah.. how dare governments take away the god-given right to threaten the lives of others?
Old 14-09-2021, 04:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Tourists told to leave Martinique 'immediately' amid new COVID lockdown

Martinique will enter a strict lockdown for three weeks as COVID-19 infections surge in the French overseas territory.

The island's prefect, Stanislas Cazelles, advised tourists to "leave the territory" as soon as possible, as Martinique has one of the highest COVID incident rates in France with almost 1,200 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.

More [English] ➥ https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...covid-lockdown

Old 14-09-2021, 04:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Barnacle,

Thanks for your comments.
Old 14-09-2021, 04:29   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

End of rant.

Millions dead and millions more ill and this is a Micky mouse pandemic. I’d love to see what you regard as a serious pandemic.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:00   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A few facts, that barnakiel left out of his rant:

- Martinique has one of the highest COVID incident rates in France with almost 1,200 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.
- Pressure on the island's hospitals has intensified as a result of the outbreak and with occupancy at 227%.
- Vaccination rates are also low with less than 22% of the population having received a first dose.
- Stanislas Cazelles [The island's prefect], promised the strict rules will be lifted "as soon as the health situation allows", saying they would review the situation in 15 days.

As for the more ludicrous regulations & situations mentioned, we only have barnakiel's unverified word/oponion, on that.

Old 14-09-2021, 05:00   #10

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Thank you as well Barnakiel. It is not surprising since the French long ago traded liberty for security.
For those of you ridiculing barnakiel. Part of his point was that things where you could easily socially distance like hiking, snorkeling, etc. were locked down by the fedarallies whereas people grouping up at the airport were not. Now how does that make sense? That is the mickey mouse part.
Early on they did the same thing here by shutting down hikiing trails and the blue ridge parkway. Not sure how shutting down one road helped. But hey I may not be stupid, but I is strong.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:09   #11

Boat: Pearson 10M
Talking Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Millions dead and millions more ill and this is a Micky mouse pandemic. I’d love to see what you regard as a serious pandemic.
Wait a moment, I'm confused. I thought the origin of Covid 19 was a zoonotic virus originating in bats and possibly transmitted through pangolins. Are you stating that the The true originator of covid is Mickey mouse? I knew it! I always suspected that rat was up to no good.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:19   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Thank you as well Barnakiel. It is not surprising since the French long ago traded liberty for security.
For those of you ridiculing barnakiel. Part of his point was that things where you could easily socially distance like hiking, snorkeling, etc. were locked down by the fedarallies whereas people grouping up at the airport were not. Now how does that make sense? That is the mickey mouse part.
Early on they did the same thing here by shutting down hikiing trails and the blue ridge parkway. Not sure how shutting down one road helped. But hey I may not be stupid, but I is strong.
The Righteous will ever be so..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:23   #13

Boat: Precision 23

Barnakiel, Im with you in every respect. The amount of koolaid that's being guzzled down is unbelievable. Don't want to risk this severe flu? Stay home, apparently the governments of the world will you support you jn your self imposed bunker mentality, but I'll be over here in the great outdoors. This talk of "threatening behavior" by unsick, non-symptomatic people who go about their business while giving others a wide berth is lunacy. That kind of thinking is the real threat .
Old 14-09-2021, 05:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffy View Post
Barnakiel, Im with you in every respect. The amount of koolaid that's being guzzled down is unbelievable. Don't want to risk this severe flu? Stay home, apparently the governments of the world will you support you jn your self imposed bunker mentality, but I'll be over here in the great outdoors. This talk of "threatening behavior" by unsick, non-symptomatic people who go about their business while giving others a wide berth is lunacy. That kind of thinking is the real threat .
The sun is a good disinfectant!
Old 14-09-2021, 05:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Skiffy.

Tags
Martinique