Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 07:28   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I suppose you think that Hawaii is just an island in the Pacific, and therefore not a part of the United States.

Martinique is a part of France, just the same way that Hawaii is a part of the United States.

So, yeah, silly you!
I beg to differ.. Senators in Hawaii are elected by the people and is a State.. maybe if you'd said American Samoa you'd be closer.
Prefects of Martinique are chosen by the French Government so always a toady and rarely for the people.
Very different..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:42   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

This is what the rest of the Caribbean should be doing.

Cuba is preparing to ease travel restrictions in November by removing its testing requirement for people who are fully vaccinated.
Just in time for Cuba's peak travel season, which runs from mid-November until late March, travel restrictions will be eased across the Caribbean nation on November 15. All airports will reopen and commercial flights will resume, officials confirmed.
Travelers will no longer have to present a recent PCR test if they are fully vaccinated and can prove it with an official vaccination certificate. Those who aren't vaccinated must present a negative result of a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before traveling to Cuba. Cuba predicts most citizens will be fully vaccinated by mid November.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I tried to have a kidney stone dealt with during the first wave in the US, but was told to go home and wait it out because the hospital was full of Covid patients and my procedure was considered elective.
They did this in my area too, except the hospital wasn't full, the local officials had simply decided that all elective procedures could wait to keep hospital capacity open "just in case". A close friend of mine died because of this silly restriction.
Old 14-09-2021, 08:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Watching news from Martinique today.

Enjoying the beach forbidden. Walking the bush tracks forbidden. Trekking forbidden. Snorkeling forbidden. Sailing forbidden. Power boating forbidden.

Gendarme on the beach requests swimmers to stop swimming. The same gendarme talks to the reporter while not wearing any mask. There are 6 of them on the stretch between Ste Anne and Club med. I wonder how much a gendarme earns. They say quite a lot.

On the same day a group of medical volunteers arrives by plane, to support ailing Martinique´s hospital services. They are welcomed at the airport with some citizens throwing hard objects and even harder words. No gendarmes in sight though. Too busy making easy money on the beach, I guess ...

The gendarmes get paid from the taxes of the people who are deprived of the right to use the beach, the country side, the boat. They are also paid from the taxes paid by the volunteers who arrived at the airport.

And no no no - do not ask me to link sources. Last time I quoted sources I heard stuff about the forum being an English forum and sources in other languages not being welcome here.

So just browse the net then use Google translate (if you are one of those world cruisers who speak the only one important language) or simply read - if you are a normal person who travels the world and so speaks more or less fluently Spanish, French and English.

Mickey Mouse pandemics and no revolution in sight ...

End of rant.

Tahiti and all of French Polynesia is the same right now. What a joke. Apparently seagulls are the root cause of the coves. Clam shells are also carriers....and ocean water is dangerous stuff. Be careful, and lock yourself in your boat! Aaaaah! Be paranoid! Aaaaah!
Old 14-09-2021, 08:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This is what the rest of the Caribbean should be doing.

Cuba is preparing to ease travel restrictions in November by removing its testing requirement for people who are fully vaccinated.
Just in time for Cuba's peak travel season, which runs from mid-November until late March, travel restrictions will be eased across the Caribbean nation on November 15. All airports will reopen and commercial flights will resume, officials confirmed.
Travelers will no longer have to present a recent PCR test if they are fully vaccinated and can prove it with an official vaccination certificate. Those who aren't vaccinated must present a negative result of a PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before traveling to Cuba. Cuba predicts most citizens will be fully vaccinated by mid November.

They tried that in French Polynesia. It didn't work. They are shut down again due to the power grab - whoops, I mean the coves. Until most people have had it naturally, and get immune, it'll come in waves....just like viruses have done since the beginning of time. This time IS NOT different.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
Until most people have had [COVID] naturally, and get immune, it'll come in waves....just like viruses have done since the beginning of time. This time IS NOT different.
It's lots different this time. COVID is not the flu; it can hit harder, last longer, and its mutations are now more contagious than influenza. But the biggest difference "this time" is that the world mounted a concerted response.

Did it work? Have the COVID measures ultimately caused more harm than they prevented? I don't yet know, and we may not for a few years, till all the numbers are crunched. But we can claim the following:
  • A lot of COVID illness and death has been prevented
  • Vaccine technology has taken a major leap forward
  • It was a good test of response measures, and the different public responses to those measures
Most people know by now that getting vaccinated is a safer route to immunity than getting COVID, and statistics continue to show that the more people vaccinated, the lower the COVID burden on society, and it becomes safer to open up more.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:19   #37

Boat: Cal-40

Wife and I live on Martinique and the problems are much more complex then Covid. And it’s these other underlying problems that have placed this island with a strong dislike of none locals, outside governments (except for the money Paris sends) and tolerate tourists seeing them as nothing more then an ATM machine. It’s estimated that only 18% are vaccinated. Both Martinique and Guadeloupe have a history civil disobedience leading to violence and racist tensions. Covid ? It’s only the light bulb that for many outsiders can for the first time see something is wrong in paradise.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:20   #38

Boat: KP 46

Unfortunately, when power over others is given to people, (or they take it), it can be like a drug, they get addicted to the high and want more and more and more. You see this in petty positions where they are given a small amount of authority like TSA officers, to Gendarmes and especially in politicians. They use any excuse and any crisis large or small to grab more power, and it is amazing how they can convince some people it is good for them! Look at Australia, the perfect example. As long as apathy remains, dictators and power hungry politicians will remain in power.

You can vote yourself into Tyranny, but no one has ever been able to vote themselves out of it.

M
Old 14-09-2021, 09:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Unfortunately, when power over others is given to people, (or they take it), it can be like a drug, they get addicted to the high and want more and more and more. You see this in petty positions where they are given a small amount of authority like TSA officers, to Gendarmes and especially in politicians. They use any excuse and any crisis large or small to grab more power, and it is amazing how they can convince some people it is good for them! Look at Australia, the perfect example. As long as apathy remains, dictators and power hungry politicians will remain in power.

You can vote yourself into Tyranny, but no one has ever been able to vote themselves out of it.

M

So true. What's most aggravating is these people who want their freedoms taken, cannot admit it when it has happened. They are in denial. You can present them with facts and figures, history etc., yet they will not admit it, and if you try to discuss the realities, they shut down. No discussion allowed. Weird.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:35   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
My cursory review of the literature, suggests otherwise.

The Continuum of Pandemic Phases - 508
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...nning-508.html

The Pandemic Intervals Framework (PIF) describes the progression of an influenza pandemic using six intervals. This framework is used to guide influenza pandemic planning and provides recommendations for risk assessment, decision-making, and action in the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmw...306a2.htm#Tab3
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmw...306a2.htm#Tab3

In 2017, CDC adopted and outlined a new methodology for determining flu season severity. Based on data from past flu seasons, CDC researchers used key flu indicator data to develop intensity thresholds (ITs) to classify the severity of flu seasons. This methodology was published in the American Journal of Epidemiologyexternal icon in October 2017.

Systematic Assessment of Multiple Routine and Near Real-Time Indicators to Classify the Severity of Influenza Seasons and Pandemics in the United States, 2003–2004 Through 2015–2016
https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/187/5/1040/4557906
Argue with the CDC, it was their 4 step program not mine.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:38   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's lots different this time. COVID is not the flu; it can hit harder, last longer, and its mutations are now more contagious than influenza. But the biggest difference "this time" is that the world mounted a concerted response.

Did it work? Have the COVID measures ultimately caused more harm than they prevented? I don't yet know, and we may not for a few years, till all the numbers are crunched. But we can claim the following:
  • A lot of COVID illness and death has been prevented
  • Vaccine technology has taken a major leap forward
  • It was a good test of response measures, and the different public responses to those measures
Most people know by now that getting vaccinated is a safer route to immunity than getting COVID, and statistics continue to show that the more people vaccinated, the lower the COVID burden on society, and it becomes safer to open up more.

Well, maybe. Your assertions are hard to prove. Getting the so called "vaccine" may be the better option if you are obese, over 70, or have more of the primary comorbidities. However, if you are young and healthy, you are better off getting the virus and recovering naturally. Several studies have shown that natural immunity is FAR better than getting the shot. You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm not going to call you names. Happy sailing.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:39   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So, how "bad" are you willing to tolerate? Do you think that, in general, we're still overreacting?
That is like asking “have you beaten your Wife enough”.

I was reporting what the CDC’s assessment.

Which, is short, is “As pandemics go they can be a whole lot worse.”
Old 14-09-2021, 09:42   #43

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

You will find that Martinique is part of France and therefore the European Union so one suspects the good French people pay taxes as well as the good Martinique people and get EU funding, I do believe the new motorway in a small french island in the Indian Ocean was paid for by the EU , wonder why the UK left and we talk about empires, and the British , did I mention Brexit and empires in one breath , I will be shot at dawn
Old 14-09-2021, 09:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
However, if you are young and healthy, you are better off getting the virus and recovering naturally. Several studies have shown that natural immunity is FAR better than getting the shot.
I don't think that either of those assertions have been proven. But as you say, we all have opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That is like asking “have you beaten your Wife enough”.

I was reporting what the CDC’s assessment.

Which, is short, is “As pandemics go they can be a whole lot worse.”
Sorry. I thought you were trying to downplay it. In general, do you think the response has been more or less on-target, or an over-reaction?
Old 14-09-2021, 10:04   #45

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Watching news from Martinique today.

Enjoying the beach forbidden. Walking the bush tracks forbidden. Trekking forbidden. Snorkeling forbidden. Sailing forbidden. Power boating forbidden.

Gendarme on the beach requests swimmers to stop swimming. The same gendarme talks to the reporter while not wearing any mask. There are 6 of them on the stretch between Ste Anne and Club med. I wonder how much a gendarme earns. They say quite a lot.

On the same day a group of medical volunteers arrives by plane, to support ailing Martinique´s hospital services. They are welcomed at the airport with some citizens throwing hard objects and even harder words. No gendarmes in sight though. Too busy making easy money on the beach, I guess ...

The gendarmes get paid from the taxes of the people who are deprived of the right to use the beach, the country side, the boat. They are also paid from the taxes paid by the volunteers who arrived at the airport.

And no no no - do not ask me to link sources. Last time I quoted sources I heard stuff about the forum being an English forum and sources in other languages not being welcome here.

So just browse the net then use Google translate (if you are one of those world cruisers who speak the only one important language) or simply read - if you are a normal person who travels the world and so speaks more or less fluently Spanish, French and English.

Mickey Mouse pandemics and no revolution in sight ...

End of rant.
Not gonna be A "revolution".
Just good people, caring for others health, and doing the right thing by working with each other to deal with a "temporary" problem caused by a virulent virus.
It's a global issue, not just a cruisers issue.
Pretty simple. Mickey Mouse Died!
The only thing that screws that up is a lack of cooperation.
SV Cloud Duster

Tags
Martinique