Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 05:48   #16

Re: Mickey Mouse, COVID and Martinique

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Millions dead and millions more ill and this is a Micky mouse pandemic. I’d love to see what you regard as a serious pandemic.
It always amazes me how so many clamber to be over governed and over controlled to be protected.

Yet, for example, 684,000 people die each year globaly from falls and ....and nothing!

Why are we not protected from falls. How are ladders even sold? Why is it legal to go up a ladder....WE SHOULD BE PROTECTED!!!!!!

39,000 die in the US per year from falls.....but I think we realize...yeah, stuff happens.

Traffic accidents?.....but we have cars! Oh, cant do without cars......yeah but you sure can do without your freedom.

Have a happy day folks!
Old 14-09-2021, 05:52   #17

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Part of his point was that things where you could easily socially distance like hiking, snorkeling, etc. were locked down by the fedarallies whereas people grouping up at the airport were not. Now how does that make sense? That is the mickey mouse part.
I don't know Martinique, but it may make perfect sense. We've been plenty of places where the hiking trails, etc. are used predominantly by visitors rather than locals. The authorities may be shutting down the 'attractions' to send a message that they have a serious problem they are trying to deal with and don't need a bunch of visitors on the island right now.

I tried to have a kidney stone dealt with during the first wave in the US, but was told to go home and wait it out because the hospital was full of Covid patients and my procedure was considered elective. If Martinique has a 227% occupancy rate in their hospitals they have a serious problem at present. It's not just about 'a few old people dying'.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:59   #18

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

- Martinique has one of the highest COVID incident rates in France with almost 1,200 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.

And I thought Martinique was an island in the Caribbean!! Silly me.
Old 14-09-2021, 06:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Millions dead and millions more ill and this is a Micky mouse pandemic. I’d love to see what you regard as a serious pandemic.
Whelp,
In 2016 the CDC released a 4 stage pandemic scale. 1 is lowest (yearly flue).
Covid makes it into stage 2, but was below the middle point last time I checked.

So apparently the CDC, before the hype, considered it below the middle in terms of severity.

May change as things get worse, but thats where it was.

Apparently the CDC has an idea about how bad a pandemic really can be, and this aint it.
Old 14-09-2021, 06:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Watching news from Martinique today.

Enjoying the beach forbidden. Walking the bush tracks forbidden. Trekking forbidden. Snorkeling forbidden. Sailing forbidden. Power boating forbidden.
I'm guessing this is to tamp down tourism and unnecessary travel during their COVID spike.
Quote:
Gendarme on the beach requests swimmers to stop swimming. The same gendarme talks to the reporter while not wearing any mask. There are 6 of them on the stretch between Ste Anne and Club med.
Outside, tradewind, distance to reporter?
Quote:
On the same day a group of medical volunteers arrives by plane, to support ailing Martinique´s hospital services. They are welcomed at the airport with some citizens throwing hard objects and even harder words. No gendarmes in sight though. Too busy making easy money on the beach, I guess ...
This report says that police were present. And who were the violent protesters at the airport? Most likely antivaxxers and others who think that COVID is no big deal
Quote:
Mickey Mouse pandemics

End of rant.
Frustration noted; we are all feeling it. And I agree that international cruising isn't likely to be a significant vector of transmission. But you can't put a general restriction on travel but give cruising a special exemption.

First world problems...
Old 14-09-2021, 06:06   #21

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

Over the last month Martinique has had by far it's worst experience with covid.
But that's only people falling ill and dying, Barnakeil and Nicholson are concerned about serious stuff, like entitled yotties/tourists being inconvenienced.
Old 14-09-2021, 06:07   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tourists told to leave Martinique 'immediately' amid new COVID lockdown

Martinique will enter a strict lockdown for three weeks as COVID-19 infections surge in the French overseas territory.

The island's prefect, Stanislas Cazelles, advised tourists to "leave the territory" as soon as possible, as Martinique has one of the highest COVID incident rates in France with almost 1,200 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.

More [English] ➥ https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...covid-lockdown

The vaccination rate is the failure. Much as Australia and New Zealand are slaves of their governments’ failure to early and emphatically protect their people, they are now totally unprepared to cope with the variants. It is impossible to keep them out. They have lost critical time in the fight and now face the inevitable train wreck.

The purpose of the vaccine is to reduce medical load, morbidity, serious long term health issues. It was never thought to conquer or eradicate the disease. We will ALL eventually get it. It’s just a matter of having your body prepared to survive it. Given this, it is a failure of the duty of any government that fails to take advantage of the tools offered to protect its people.

In Antigua, we cruisers met and worked with the PM and health ministry regarding curfews, quarantines, masks, exercise, hiking and swimming. We were told bluntly that they were not afraid of us, that their own citizens were the cause of spread because they persist in socializing, won’t wear masks, won’t wash hands. Grandma flies in from Jamaica or the UK for a wedding and everyone gets sick. Huge spike after Christmas last year.

Antigua ministry is aggressively working at ways to open and stay open to tourism. It is their #1 income. Vaccination is free to all humans including foreigners. In June when we departed - Resorts are open. You can rent a car and tour. You can hire a dive trip, go to restaurants outdoors and carry out. Beaches were open most days. We could hike anywhere. Many places and activities were open that made us nervous so we didn’t participate.

Still too low but here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DE9D26D-53D2-4631-B929-E280C2032046.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	245308  
Old 14-09-2021, 06:17   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...lordecone/amp/
French islands overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic’s fourth wave
Mistrust of French health authorities partly explains why vaccination rates on the islands are a fraction of rates on the mainland.

French islands overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic’s fourth wave
Mistrust of French health authorities partly explains why vaccination rates on the islands are a fraction of rates on the mainland.

FRANCE-OVERSEAS-HEALTH-VIRUS
Health care workers describe the situation on the ground as "catastrophic", as coronavirus cases rise in Guadeloupe and Martinique | Cedrick Isham Calvados/AFP via Getty Images
BY CLÉMENCE APETOGBOR
August 29, 2021 6:00 am
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkedin
Mail
Print
POINTE-À-PITRE, FRANCE — In Guadeloupe and Martinique, the two main French islands in the Caribbean, obituaries are traditionally read by radio anchors during popular segments that last about 20 minutes every day.

But as the two islands battle a fourth wave of the coronavirus pandemic, radio stations have had to make space for obituary segments that now can last up to an hour, with 60 deaths announced per day.

While the rise in COVID-19 infections in mainland France over the summer caused fewer hospitalizations and deaths than the previous waves, a failed vaccination campaign in the islands, hindered by distrust in national authorities — especially on health matters — led to what doctors on the ground call “a war scene............
Old 14-09-2021, 06:18   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
- Martinique has one of the highest COVID incident rates in France with almost 1,200 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.
Indeed, silly you.

Martinique is an Overseas Territory of France. Often named by the acronym DROM-COM, the ‘Overseas Departments and Regions – Overseas Collectivities’ refer [collectively] to all land under French sovereignty, outside mainland France, and include [among others] the Caribbean Islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint-Martin, Saint-Barthélemy. Five of France’s overseas territories, including Martinique, are considered overseas regions or departments of France, which means that they are treated the same as if they were territories in mainland France itself. [not unlike the USA’s Hawaii].

Martinique enters new lockdown to tackle Covid-19 crisis, asks tourists to leave
The prefect said, among other things, culture and leisure facilities would be closed, including beaches, which “will no longer be accessible to the public”.
https://www.france24.com/en/americas...rists-to-leave

Old 14-09-2021, 06:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Whelp,
Covid makes it into stage 2, but was below the middle point last time I checked.

So apparently the CDC, before the hype, considered it below the middle in terms of severity.

Apparently the CDC has an idea about how bad a pandemic really can be, and this aint it.

So, how "bad" are you willing to tolerate? Do you think that, in general, we're still overreacting?
Old 14-09-2021, 06:40   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Whelp,
Covid makes it into stage 2, but was below the middle point last time I checked
My cursory review of the literature, suggests otherwise.

The Continuum of Pandemic Phases - 508
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...nning-508.html

The Pandemic Intervals Framework (PIF) describes the progression of an influenza pandemic using six intervals. This framework is used to guide influenza pandemic planning and provides recommendations for risk assessment, decision-making, and action in the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmw...306a2.htm#Tab3
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmw...306a2.htm#Tab3

In 2017, CDC adopted and outlined a new methodology for determining flu season severity. Based on data from past flu seasons, CDC researchers used key flu indicator data to develop intensity thresholds (ITs) to classify the severity of flu seasons. This methodology was published in the American Journal of Epidemiologyexternal icon in October 2017.

Systematic Assessment of Multiple Routine and Near Real-Time Indicators to Classify the Severity of Influenza Seasons and Pandemics in the United States, 2003–2004 Through 2015–2016
https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/187/5/1040/4557906

Old 14-09-2021, 06:53   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

“Don’t trust the government “ !?!?

I don’t trust ours either but I can read and observe. The probability of surviving is more than 10X greater vaccinated. The probability of adverse vaccination related problems is two to three magnitudes less than the probability of severe disease or death. It is certain that we will all get it eventually. Do the *#@*$ math!

The stupid excuses we heard from Antiguan citizens were legendary. White man’s conspiracy, will make my testicles swell, fall off, make me sterile, etc. By the way, not a lot different than the dumb excuses here.

My brother is chief of medicine in a hospital. He is tired of wearing a haz mat suit 18 hours per day. He observes as the data shows, nearly all in his ICU are unvaccinated and only the unvaccinated die. He is now triple vaccinated, takes weekly prophylactic ivermectin, daily C, D, Zinc. He has not been infected through the entire ordeal. There is a way out. Just do it.
Old 14-09-2021, 06:53   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

Quote:

It is French overseas territory. Their currency is euro.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:03   #29

Quote:
I suppose you think that Hawaii is just an island in the Pacific, and therefore not a part of the United States.

Martinique is a part of France, just the same way that Hawaii is a part of the United States.

So, yeah, silly you!
Old 14-09-2021, 07:15   #30

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Aware of it's status.
And Actually Hawaii is just an island in the Pacific and a Part of the US.
Just as Martinique is a PART of France. Not actually France. Just poking fun at Gord.Or trying to.

Chill out people.

Tags
Martinique