Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 11:59   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Warning about Ireland

A friend of mine arrived in an Irish port from Scotland, with European citizens on board. One person was not vaccinated, and the entire vessel was refused entry. They were not even allowed to take on fuel or water, and they were dealt with in a really threatening way by aggressive armed people. They had been to about 10 different countries on this cruise and said this was utterly different from anything they experienced anywhere else.

I guess it would be well to avoid Ireland if you're cruising in the area.

Edit: I guess it would be well not to assume that flexibility one might have experienced in some EU countries is a uniform policy, and can be relied upon.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 20-09-2021, 12:21   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Warning about Ireland

Well, avoid Ireland if there is somebody aboard not vaccinated.
Old 20-09-2021, 12:42   #3

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A friend of mine arrived in an Irish port from Scotland, with European citizens on board. One person was not vaccinated, and the entire vessel was refused entry. They were not even allowed to take on fuel or water, and they were dealt with in a really threatening way by aggressive armed people. They had been to about 10 different countries on this cruise and said this was utterly different from anything they experienced anywhere else.

This is what happens to lots of people after they've been subjected to fear mongering and told that there's an existential threat out there. They become irrational and authoritarian. Irrational to the point they view fellow human beings as a biological threat, and authoritarian to the point they would be happy to see people force vaccinated, or have government visit proxy violence upon parts of the population they deemed to be a threat. Madness.

All this gaslighting insanity that makes people crazy because all they hear is this contradictory nonsense all the time, it ****s with their head.

Meanwhile, in the realm of sanity.
CDC has stated that the vaccine does NOT prevent transmission, and it doesn't provide much, if any, protection at all, in part because the virus keeps mutating. So then the question becomes: What does it matter if someone IS or is NOT vaccinated then?

The virus has a 99,8% survival rate anyway and since we're 18 months into this, pardon my French, cluster ****, chances are we've all had it already with mild to no symptoms at all.

With all the crazy measures taken someone could be forgiven for thinking it was the Spanish Flu.

Added.
How would they know if someone was vaccinated or not in the first place?
Old 20-09-2021, 13:09   #4

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Hard to say what the correct thing to do is, but the even with all the crazy measures the US just passed total Spanish flu deaths.

Can't run the experiment again but maybe some caution is warranted.
Old 20-09-2021, 13:15   #5

Quote:

Which port did they enter?

Later,
Dan
Old 20-09-2021, 13:22   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Does Ireland have a requirement to be vaccinated and/or show a negative PCR test within x-days? This seems to be the growing standard around the world.

... I just checked, and it seems pretty clear what the criteria for entry is. I can't comment on the way your friends were treated, and it does seem potentially dangerous to turn a recreational boat around without allowing for reprovisioning, but wouldn't it be the responsibility of the sailors to know what is required for legal entry?
Old 20-09-2021, 13:41   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
...and it doesn't provide much, if any, protection at all, in part because the virus keeps mutating. ...chances are we've all had it already with mild to no symptoms at all....
those three statements are false
Old 20-09-2021, 13:46   #8

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Good for Ireland.

It has imposed tough restrictions on its own people at times to keep covid from overwhelming its population the way that the pandemic has in Florida and other places.

Some inconsiderate Sassenach shows up on a boat proclaiming that he/she has the right not be be vaccinated? Well, Ireland has the right to say keep that person out of the country.

It works both ways, anti-vaxxers.
Old 20-09-2021, 13:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
Hard to say what the correct thing to do is, but the even with all the crazy measures the US just passed total Spanish flu deaths.
This is an insane comparison, the population of the US in 1918 was 100 million. We are now pushing 350 million. Not even apples to apples. Comparing deaths is another one of those scare tactics the media and government will use. Less than 1/3 of the death rate of the Spanish flu over the same time period, but with much harsher measures and lockdowns, and a vaccine, has it been worth it? The worst part is what the OP said, people treat you like you aren't human anymore.
Old 20-09-2021, 13:58   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I didn’t leave my home port for Bermuda this year until 6/5 as they had just finalized the criteria for visiting yachts. I usually depart mid-April. In these times there is no excuse for a skipper arriving at Customs without being fully cognizant of the Customs requirements UNLESS there was a change while en route.
Old 20-09-2021, 14:07   #11

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
This is an insane comparison, the population of the US in 1918 was 100 million. We are now pushing 350 million. Not even apples to apples. Comparing deaths is another one of those scare tactics the media and government will use. Less than 1/3 of the death rate of the Spanish flu over the same time period, but with much harsher measures and lockdowns, and a vaccine, has it been worth it? The worst part is what the OP said, people treat you like you aren't human anymore.
Yes, I thought about that but if you consider modern medicine, modern travel, modern communication... at the end of the day 650,000 lives are still 650,000 lives.

If we hadn't done all the craziness we don't know what the toll would be.

I'm not sure about the dehumanizing aspect but I find your rhetoric unconvincing. This is not business as usual even if we ignored the problem.

As far as insanity goes I can think of crazier things being done and said.
Old 21-09-2021, 04:07   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
This is what happens to lots of people after they've been subjected to fear mongering and told that there's an existential threat out there. They become irrational and authoritarian. Irrational to the point they view fellow human beings as a biological threat, and authoritarian to the point they would be happy to see people force vaccinated, or have government visit proxy violence upon parts of the population they deemed to be a threat. Madness.

All this gaslighting insanity that makes people crazy because all they hear is this contradictory nonsense all the time, it ****s with their head.

Meanwhile, in the realm of sanity.
CDC has stated that the vaccine does NOT prevent transmission, and it doesn't provide much, if any, protection at all, in part because the virus keeps mutating. So then the question becomes: What does it matter if someone IS or is NOT vaccinated then?

The virus has a 99,8% survival rate anyway and since we're 18 months into this, pardon my French, cluster ****, chances are we've all had it already with mild to no symptoms at all.

With all the crazy measures taken someone could be forgiven for thinking it was the Spanish Flu.

Added.
How would they know if someone was vaccinated or not in the first place?

I somewhat agree that many of the pandemic measures seem ill-considered and fear driven, however, the underlined part about the CDC and effectiveness of the vaccines is nonsense, and the CDC did NOT say that.

One more time for good order:

1. The vaccines are highly effective against all known mutations.

2. The vaccines greatly reduce transmission as well as symptomatic disease.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 21-09-2021, 04:12   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Does Ireland have a requirement to be vaccinated and/or show a negative PCR test within x-days? This seems to be the growing standard around the world.

... I just checked, and it seems pretty clear what the criteria for entry is. I can't comment on the way your friends were treated, and it does seem potentially dangerous to turn a recreational boat around without allowing for reprovisioning, but wouldn't it be the responsibility of the sailors to know what is required for legal entry?

Ireland, like many countries, requires EITHER vaccination OR fresh test. And the require a passenger locator form.

My friends have cruised through the waters of a good proportion of Southern, Western, and Northern Europe and never had this problem before.

You can't bring a fresh test if you've been at sea for longer than the time allowed (but see *). In all other European countries, the one unvaccinated guy was allowed to take the test on arrival, with friendly understanding for the impossibility of fulfilling the requirement.

The behavior of the Irish was just totally different from the norm.

The other issue they had was no passenger locator form -- also impossible to fulfill because they had been at sea without internet for longer than the allowed time window. All other Euro countries allowed them to fill it out upon arrival.
Walt Whitman
Old 21-09-2021, 04:12   #14

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Good for Ireland. Get vaccinated.

That’s how it works if you want to enter a foreign country and has been that way for more than a century. I’m headed to Ghana this week, it has been and continues to be, that if you want to get in, you need a yellow fever vaccine. This is no different.
Old 21-09-2021, 04:16   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Warning about Ireland

If you were met by”aggressive armed “ agents in Ireland given most of the police, border guards ,and customs are not armed then you were on some form of terrorist watch list or suspected of drug smuggling

The entry rules are simple , pcr test , or vaccination, what part of that didn’t your friend understand

Or perhaps he thought “Ah sure who cares about rules. “ !

Tags
Ireland