Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 16:13   #61

Boat: Bavaria 46 Style (2017); Catalina 387 (2004)
Re: Mah mah mah mah myyy carona (my experience with it and some thoughts)

Prior to the BVI closing down in March, my wife and I were on a ferry to St.Thomas where we were we were told (on CNN) that we all needed to "social distance" to slow the spread of the virus to smooth out the spike.. so we would not overwhelm the healthcare system. Mission accomplished (with few exceptions.). Now we are told "Social Distancing saves lives." Actually, it doesn't. It slows the spread. Social distancing is more important to those at high risk, but in those cases isolation is the best medicine. Which brings up the original point of the post. Our boat is in the BVI... locked down indefinitely. I talked today with Travis who is our boat caretaker. He tells me there are no cases in the BVI, but whenever they do reopen the island they will be very vulnerable. For him, and others on the island, they feel they are delaying the inevitable. "Nature," he says, "will take it's course one way or the other." At least they will have more knowledge of how to handle the virus when islanders get infected. But for an economy totally and absolutely dependent on tourism, the real human cost is not just measured in COVID-cases.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:14   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Millions of Africans lined up to get the polio vaccine and got infected with a monkey virus known later as HIV.

Also wrong, btw. Where are you getting this stuff?
Old 12-08-2020, 16:28   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mah mah mah mah myyy carona (my experience with it and some thoughts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Damn.. and there was I thinking that HIV came as a result of scientists messing with the immune systems of mosquitos back in 79/80 trying to eliminate malaria and infecting the locals.
This was then transferred back to the States and then round the world by friendly Americans and others..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:44   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We went through lock down on Dominica, they had a few cases but no deaths. They were so proud, “Dominica Strong, we beat Covid.” Well no, you stopped time. And lost 91% of foreign tax revenues. Now how do they reopen and how do they respond when the inevitable occurs? Maritime Canada is in the same boat.

Worldometer maintains a comprehensive worldwide data base of statistics. Today they are showing India with 34 deaths/million. Which is a bit high for an Asian nation. Western nations are running around 350 death/million or so. Excluding the NYC cluster (over 2,000/million) the USA is doing fairly well, a bit under Europe. This is not data pulled from my jester but from worldometer and NY State online data. Also there have been several publications I have read discussing the universally low death rates in Asia; WaPo, BBC, and others. So something is going on, or not going on, in Asia. I have a theory.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I recently posted an open letter from a USA MD on face book. It was nothing special, but he mentioned, complained, of being directed to assign Covid deaths to anyone testing positive, jo matter the cause of death. That’s why I posted it, it’s not the first time IVe heard a MD make this complaint. Facebook took the post down claiming it was spreading false Covid facts. FB did not ID the post (took me a bit to figure it out) or say what the false fact was.

Below is another interesting and somewhat hopeful article about Covid research that suggests most of what we are doing is having limited effect, that the virus is running its course, and may burn out soon because many of us have natural immunity.

This is an interesting read. It contains some new ideas. Not the first time the T-cell angle has come up.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...-immunity.html

Quote:
The first is how the heterogeneity of the disease’s spread affects the threshold of herd immunity — the point at which enough people in a community have been exposed to the disease that it can no longer really spread. If that point arrives sooner than was projected early in the pandemic, when a rough, conventional-wisdom calculation held that herd immunity would require between 60 percent and 80 percent of a community to be exposed, it would mean that the “end” would be coming much sooner, too — and perhaps that some hard-hit places, like New York City, had already reached a point of relative safety.
Old 12-08-2020, 16:54   #65

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral...IDS_hypothesis

It is claimed by the medical community that the polio vaccine - aids connection is debunked. But who sincerely believes that the pharma industry and WHO would accept responsibility for causing an epidemic of that magnitude ? Does the medical industry accept responsibility today for 400k deaths a year for malpractice ? No of course not. Be warned, HIV showed up in humans within a few years of the polio vaccinations. The world has never been the same since and pharma has made many billions in profits from long term chronic treatment ever since. It's about the same as asking someone whether they trust Microsoft or their AV company to keep their PC free from viruses ? Of course not, it's darn good business to keep selling subscriptions to their latest products.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2020, 19:09   #66

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
After over 6 months of this and the amount of so called confirmed cases I am surprised no studies appear to have been carried out on immunity levels after recovery.. as far as I am aware.
Yes, very important information, once it's available.

Granted, the following is hearsay, but I personally give it some credence (no pun intended, OP). I went in for my annual physical and had a nice chat with my PCP. He told me that so far there is very little in the medical journals on that point, because there have been relatively few people get the virus, recover, and get reinfected. However, from that small sample, it appears that IF a healthy person DOES get reinfected, the symptoms are drastically reduced, to the point of almost certain survivability. He literally said the symptoms in those (again, rare) reinfection cases were no worse than a bad cold.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:04   #67
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Yes, very important information, once it's available.

Granted, the following is hearsay, but I personally give it some credence (no pun intended, OP). I went in for my annual physical and had a nice chat with my PCP. He told me that so far there is very little in the medical journals on that point, because there have been relatively few people get the virus, recover, and get reinfected. However, from that small sample, it appears that IF a healthy person DOES get reinfected, the symptoms are drastically reduced, to the point of almost certain survivability. He literally said the symptoms in those (again, rare) reinfection cases were no worse than a bad cold.

Well Sweden would appear to back up your theory - Now doing better than anywhere in Europe and they just pretty much let it rip.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:20   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
...It's about the same as asking someone whether they trust Microsoft or their AV company to keep their PC free from viruses ? Of course not, it's darn good business to keep selling subscriptions to their latest products.

... would it surprise you much to hear that you're wrong here too? Microsoft doesn't sell a consumer AV product. They give it away, and it's actually pretty good. There are some good AV products from other vendors too.

Old 12-08-2020, 20:37   #69

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Looked like a fun debate, but nobody wacked the hornets nest yet.

The world has too many humans and is fighting back.

Locally we had a over population of deer the next year there was a disease killing deer off. Population rebalanced.

It is nature doing what it does.
Old 12-08-2020, 20:45   #70

Or you can use Linux and skip the entire bother.... The only way to stop the Windows 10 auto updates now is to flag your internet connection as a toll connection. No consumer software should be like that.

Quote:
... would it surprise you much to hear that you're wrong here too? Microsoft doesn't sell a consumer AV product. They give it away, and it's actually pretty good. There are some good AV products from other vendors too.

Old 12-08-2020, 21:03   #71

So far the US is racking up $2.4 trillion in Covid 19 stimulus, in other words an attempt to contain the damage wrought by the lockdowns and business closures. The real damage of course is much greater. If one was to add this up around the globe one is talking about ridiculous amounts of money for something that is hardly a noticible blip in real deaths.

How likely is this an economic war that is being waged ? US government spending so far alone in 6 months equals half of the cost of all armed conflicts in the middle east since 2001. Yet not a shot had to be fired ?

I'm sorry, but when this much money and power is involved I trust no-one. Not big pharma, not the government, not the CIA, not the G7 and sure as hell not the Chinese or N Koreans.

If this had merely happened as an actual influenza outbreak, that would have been one thing. But the involvement of the media and WHO to claim initially that it was going to kill off half the worlds population makes me suspicious.

So I dont know. Was it just something that happened naturally that a bunch of powerful people jumped on and blew totally out of proportion (and if so why have they not been arrested and charged with something for the resulting damage ?) or has it been deliberately exploited to knock down all the primarily western nations who have had the most panic stricken response ? Whatever it is, it gives me less faith than ever in the country's leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
Looked like a fun debate, but nobody wacked the hornets nest yet.

The world has too many humans and is fighting back.

Locally we had a over population of deer the next year there was a disease killing deer off. Population rebalanced.

It is nature doing what it does.
Old 12-08-2020, 21:22   #72

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16

[QUOTE=Westcliffe01;3206456]In 6 months the annual death statistics will be out. When overlaid over previous years it remains to be seen if there has in fact been an overall increase in the number of deaths. Data from Europe already suggests this is not the case. ]

<One would think that death rates would be substantially lower; car wrecks would be down, bus, trains & planes less populated. Deaths from elective surgery, flu, cold, people not working, and probably many other conditions, just the nature of the reaction should help many people exist for just a little longer.>

Not sure that this measurement would be a useful metric compared to say the year 2018. The world is completely different now it would/could almost be like comparing death rates from strep before and after antibiotics. Or more accurately time spent in airport security before 9/11 and after. It's a new world we live in. I would like to see those numbers though, it will be interesting to see how little or great all this effort has affected the world's health. Statically.

A little side note: We recently lost our healthy 76 yr old grandmother from covid. It took just 21 days to end her life. She spent them alone with three nurses working round the clock to save her, no family was allowed near her, her two daughters had a Ten minute service to bury their beloved mother. Only immediate family was permitted near the service; I think there where 7 total people. To hit more home Sunday I awoke with a sore throat, and low grade fever, then flu like symptoms persisted. Today, I was finally able to get a covid test, and before I tell you the result, let me tell you the feeling of helplessness knowing it's a crap shoot, knowing that if it is infact it, and you are one of those that have a reaction; that your days are numbered is aweful. I am 42yr old, special warfare military veteran in good health physically and mentally, 4 kids and a wife, but for the last 4 days I had to wonder if these would be my last 20 days on this Earth. Alone, isolated from everyone else. It is truly an eye opener. See what most don't see is the worlds reaction is not about stats as much as the odds. Currently, 1 in 20 die, but what are the odds u are the one, no one knows how to predict that, once we can predict that, then you will see live start to come back to normal.

Luckily, the test was negative for covid, and flu, yet they don't know what exactly I do have going on. Strangely, I haven't been sick in 10 years... I am sure it's the super military vaccinations, we had to take, but it's strange that I would get sick now. Smh

Final thought: Monies and economies are not life, they are ways to provide separation of classes more easily. Or more accurately they are methods to transfer energy and provide a means to value energy. If they crash just continue to live, have the knowledge of how to feed and take care of yourself and your families. If you can do that you will be ok. 😁
Old 12-08-2020, 23:29   #73

Quote:
Probably from Breitbart. There is a whole section on Bill Gates Foundation conspiracies in africa.

https://www.breitbart.com/tag/bill-gates/page/2/

I actually use to watch Alex Jones a lot. The only way to not get brain washed is to watch a bit of everything these days. There is little facts in anything reported these days but it's good to have a balanced view.

If something cannot be proven without a doubt using the scientific method then it is just a belief like religion. And like religion we should respect other people's beliefs. To a point obviously.
Old 12-08-2020, 23:33   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post

Final thought: Monies and economies are not life, they are ways to provide separation of classes more easily. Or more accurately they are methods to transfer energy and provide a means to value energy. If they crash just continue to live, have the knowledge of how to feed and take care of yourself and your families. If you can do that you will be ok. ��

Brilliant. Although let's face it we all like our financed beamers, boats and mac mansions. Although if i had to choose my happiest moments in life it was probably doing things that people from a thousand years ago were doing.

The I would rather die than let my children and grand children be in debt argument is a good one. But have a little faith in your children and grandchildren. Everyone started from nothing, your chidlren and grand children will be fine. Maybe even better because they had to really work for it.
Old 13-08-2020, 00:14   #75

https://www.realtor.com/internationa...-120057601065/

If all else fails. Ya'll can buy a nice townhouse in Andalusia for USD 90k. Sorry boatman, the secret is out.

Tags
enc