Old 25-08-2021, 06:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: For gods sake - Get vaccinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Jedi,
It is politically correct to push the narrative on Florida, especially red states. Consider sources, Wa Po, Huffington, Blaze etc. too many agendas. Data manipulation, omission, re-purposing. The ALL do it.
Have followed the data manipulation in Florida since I live there. Governor Ron DeSantis publicly made it official policy that no Covid cases were counted in Florida statistics unless the person involved was a legal, permanent resident of the state. Since there are estimated to be over a million people that reside in Florida in the winter but retain legal residence in other states that difference is significant.

The numbers are also manipulated in other ways. I have an old friend whose brother, a full time legal resident, died of Covid in Florida. Without a doubt the cause of death was Covid. The man was diagnosed with Covid and put in ICU quarantine where he died but his death was never shown in the county statistics for Covid. Not sure why but there it is.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Rationalization:

It’s OK if people don’t vax. Most of them are Republicans anyway.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:27   #18
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Curious how the one day deaths for Florida doesn't jibe with the weekly average of 227.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210825-092401_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	244212  
Old 25-08-2021, 06:28   #19

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Why is there no parallel ultra reaction to MMR, Polio, Smallpox, hepatitis?

Because the Flu shot has been around for a long time, but did not get rid of the flu.
Your examples are apples to oranges. Hepatitis is not caught like the common cold, etc.

Thinking of changing my signature to, "Of course your opinion is more valid than mine. Especially since you are far more intimate with my situation than I am."
Thoughts?
Old 25-08-2021, 06:28   #20

Boat: X442

I never thought that it would be on Cruisers' Forum where I would get my medical advice...
Old 25-08-2021, 06:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: For gods sake - Get vaccinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'll preface this with, I agree with your overall viewpoint, however,

1) Don't do it for "god's" sake (Let's not bring religion into this). Do it for humanity's sake.

2) Prefacing a inflammatory discussion or statement with "Not to offend.." doesn't absolve you from offending people.

3) Stop and consider this..... Will an anti-vaxxer EVER convince you NOT to get a vaccine? What makes you think you will convince an antivaxxer to get vaccinated??

Those who want it, get it. Those who don't......won't, regardless of how frustrating that might be to some.
Exactly.. but still the desire to emulate Esher goes on..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:33   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Curious how the one day deaths for Florida doesn't jibe with the weekly average of 227.
Well the UK was 174 in one day on the 24th.. so your still on the low side..

Always look on the Bright Side of Life..

While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:35   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Because the Flu shot has been around for a long time, but did not get rid of the flu.
Your examples are apples to oranges. Hepatitis is not caught like the common cold, etc.

Thinking of changing my signature to, "Of course your opinion is more valid than mine. Especially since you are far more intimate with my situation than I am."
Thoughts?
To follow you logic, what about smallpox and polio vaccines that have completely eliminated both diseases?

However flu is different and yes Covid is more like flu. No one (at least no one with any experience or credentials) has said the vaccine will 100% get rid of Covid. The point of the vaccine is to control the spread and reduce symptoms which will reduce the severity of infections, reduce the death rate, reduce the strain on health care resources and hopefully build up enough herd immunity that the risk will drop dramatically.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:35   #24

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
I never thought that it would be on Cruisers' Forum where I would get my medical advice...
Or a place where totally unqualified people give it.

There is so much wrong with the majority of the comments here to list and it isn’t the place to try.

Grow up people!
Old 25-08-2021, 06:37   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you believe COVID is just a big conspiracy and choose not to get vaccinated then please dont take up ICU space if you get sick from COVID. Afterall, "they" might implant a microchip in you while unconcious in ICU.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:40   #26

God would vehemently disagree with you, given that aborted babies are used in both the development and manufacture of the vaccines.
Old 25-08-2021, 06:47   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problem is, with the rabid paranoia over Covid has resulted in treatment for other ailments like heart, diabetes, cancers etc has crashed..
Methinks somewhere along the line priorities have screwed up and Covid induced side effects are deadlier than the virus.. Yet still the frightened sheep bleat in alarm.

There were 10,372 deaths in England and Wales registered in the week ending 13 August 2021 (Week 32); this was 185 more deaths than the previous week (Week 31) and 14.0% above the five-year average (1,270 more deaths).

Of the deaths registered in Week 32 in England and Wales, 571 mentioned “novel coronavirus (COVID-19)”, accounting for 5.5% of all deaths; this was an increase compared with Week 31 (527 deaths).

Old 25-08-2021, 06:47   #28

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

I see the primary thread as valid. Listing the stupid positions may help vent the frustrations of the critical thinkers who know that the stupid are holding up the rest of us and promoting variants.

I see the argument within a table of pros, cons, distractions, and misinformation; and have gently discussed with a very few who are anti-vaccers. My conclusions after this small study is that they just cannot even get to the pros and cons, and will not be dragged over to that part of the table. Many do not even suffer from misinformation, but are solidly distracted by the politics, their previous beliefs (I hate all derivatives of believe - there is no rational reason for any critical mind to use these words), or their repetitive-but-poor sources.

As for the sad trans-humour: I dislike it. It is as dumb as telling a first-nation, black, or any other presently or previously disenfranchised group how to feel about a hunk of cheap bronze, or telling people they have so much free will that they can change their eye colour.
Old 25-08-2021, 07:06   #29

The whole COVID epidemic and its many facets, including social, political and economic effects, will be fascinating study for years.

COVID vaccination put humanity to the test: are we capable of working towards a common social goal, putting trust in experts and following their guidance... or are we just selfish individualists who are only putting up with each other for the rewards it brings?

In a perfect world, vaccines would be rolled out in sufficient quantities, most everyone would get one, severe illness would be greatly reduced, transmission would be down. Variants would have less opportunity to form and spread. We'd get to normal faster.

Of course we don't live in a perfect world. The biggest vaccine issue is still making and supplying vaccines to the whole world. In the developed countries where it's been available... there's been some resistance, much of it due to its political use as a wedge issue.

We are now facing more "waves" and continued COVID restrictions, due in part to the failure to achieve higher vaccination rates. I guess this is the pattern for the future - we will battle successive but smaller flareups as COVID loses its novelty and becomes just another perennial affliction like influenza. And like influenza, it may in future be eradicated by improved vaccine technology.

I'm taking a small amount of schadenfreude from some public anti-COVID-vaxxers (or the political exploiters of them) finally reversing themselves and endorsing COVID vaccination... sometimes on their deathbeds.

Fascinating times.
Old 25-08-2021, 07:08   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here's the data on deaths in Florida from Johns Hopkins. 1486 deaths last week which is an all time high!
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/florida