Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 16:13   #181

Boat: boatless currently
Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

If immunity to the real virus is not durable, why would immunity to an mRNA vaccine that emulates one of the proteins of the virus be any more durable?
Old 27-01-2021, 16:22   #182

Boat: Block Island 40

Well, here in N/E North Carolina (rural/farming), county pop. of only 14k, we've been vaccinating since Jan. 6 and each Thurs. since! Next week we begin 2 days/week, Tues. for 2nd dose and Thurs. for first. From my perspective who is directly involved (RN) it's a matter of planning. It seems that NC has planned well in advance and those states lagging in the program are playing "catch-up". I wish I could tell y'all to come here. We even have volunteers making calls at the end of the day to our residents to just "come on down" to use the last of the allotment.
Good luck to all!
Old 27-01-2021, 16:34   #183

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
We even have volunteers making calls at the end of the day to our residents to just "come on down" to use the last of the allotment.
Yes, my son and his good lady, in GA, same thing. It has to be used before it spoils, they were offered it and went for it. These first folks are similar to volunteers, because their data will inform policies down the road. And no one knows or will know for a long term about "long term effects", so there is still the risk of the unknown. How much value you elect to place on that risk is a personal decision.

Ann
Old 27-01-2021, 16:43   #184

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

THIS THREAD IS NOW IN THE COVID 19 CONTAINMENT FORUM, WHERE THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY:

All Community Rules will be strictly enforced in this forum. Posts in violation of the rules may be deleted without notification based on the judgment of the moderators. In addition, posts that exhibit fear-mongering, politically charged statements or other anti-social behavior may result in the author’s posting privileges being restricted. Please be especially cautious about posting politically charged content and be sure to report problem posts.

There has been a lot of very useful information and perspective shared here on this topic, but unfortunately also a good bit that doesn't align with forum rules. Please respect your fellow members by thinking through this before posting:

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?

If you have any questions about this, feel free to message any moderator.

A number of posts were removed in order to follow the posting rules for this forum.

Please stay on topic, debate ideas, do not comment on personalities.

JPA Cate
Old 27-01-2021, 17:34   #185

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Now here's a fight worth having!

Ok so there’s an anchor argument what’s next?
Old 27-01-2021, 17:35   #186

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Boatman, oh now you have truly broken open the dam for conspiracies to flood simply, by bringing up a debate over which anchor provides the best protection against Covid.

Well IMHO, its less about the type and more about the size, the bigger the better, yet all anchors require the use of a proper scope, contrary to some persons' opinions, length and size do matter. The bigger ones swing in a crowded anchorage, the more likely others will keep further social distancing away from you. 100+ meters between boats likely will suffice in a shallow protected bay. And if the deployment of a long rode doesn't keep others far away, well then that is why one keeps an arsenal of guns onboard, a few stray rounds shot a short distance from someones bow and stern tends to motivate them to relocate, at least a tad further away; like out of gunshot range away.

There be nothing quite like bringing a gun to a virus fight to even the odds towards one's favor! Or two, or three, hee, hee, hee.

Stay well away, stay healthy.

All the best.

So is a big anchor somehow compensation for something else? Just asking for a friend

At any rate we have an update coming from our head of research and medicine next Monday where the company will get an update on vaccinations and COVID in general
Old 27-01-2021, 18:55   #187

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
If immunity to the real virus is not durable, why would immunity to an mRNA vaccine that emulates one of the proteins of the virus be any more durable?

That is one of the questions they're trying to answer.
Old 27-01-2021, 18:59   #188
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So is a big anchor somehow compensation for something else? Just asking for a friend

At any rate we have an update coming from our head of research and medicine next Monday where the company will get an update on vaccinations and COVID in general
I thought of asking that question but then we'd have gotten into Porsche's, Mercedes AMG S63 Coupes and all that, so I skipped it..
Meanwhile Brussels threatens UK with a Trade War over the Oxford vaccine.. apparently it seems Third Country status only works one way..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-01-2021, 04:32   #189
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
... Everyone in our family has had the SARS-CoV-2 aka Covid-19 virus and been just fine...
... We have decided against the new shot...
Should that read "Everyone in our family, except us..."?

Old 28-01-2021, 04:43   #190
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covid vaccination status for CF members

Just heard from an old friend in the UK.. she's 73 and just had her first Oxford-Astra jab on Tuesday.. no ill effects.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-01-2021, 05:39   #191

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

My buddy, who is a big Green Bay fan, received his first shot last week. Shortly after receiving the Pfizer vaccine, Tampa Bay beat Green Bay in the playoffs. I see a direct link there!
Old 28-01-2021, 11:26   #192

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Hmm, 66 million vaccination doses have been delivered so far and you allege 25 deaths as a result of those shots.

98 million Covid cases have been reported with 2.1 million deaths.

Yeah, that math works for me.

If you want to go down the road of "the deaths aren't really covid, those were sick people anyway", well, that's exactly what Norway said about the potential vaccination deaths.
If I may frame your position in another way, getting the vaccine is far safer then going out on the ocean in a fiberglass bathtub with sticks and rags attached to the top. Is that accurate? Just trying to put the risk in perspective.
Old 28-01-2021, 11:46   #193

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That is one of the questions they're trying to answer.
There seems to be a link between The viral load and immunity. In other words people who had a small viral load and didn't get that sick, didn't have sufficient immune response to provide lasting immunity. At least that's the working theory for the moment, we shall see.
Old 28-01-2021, 11:49   #194

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
If I may frame your position in another way, getting the vaccine is far safer then going out on the ocean in a fiberglass bathtub with sticks and rags attached to the top. Is that accurate? Just trying to put the risk in perspective.
Sailing never killed anyone, their co-morbidities got them

Your post sent me searching for statistics, I can't call to mind any sailing accidents last year that lead to death, but there have to be a few?

Going back in time (and including racing), in the '82 Doublehanded Farallones race 4 out of ~300 participants lost their lives, that race had a similar fatality rate to Covid.

In the grand scheme of things though I suspect sailing is closer to the vaccine risk than to the disease risk, but I'd sure like to be able to put some numbers to that.
Old 28-01-2021, 12:19   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
From reading and posting on this forum I get the impression that many on this forum have roughly half a century behind them.

This is my case as well and where I live the government started a vaccination campaign about 2 weeks ago. Today 25 jan my wife and I got our first shot of the Pfizer vaccine. But my wife’s sister in law lives in Seattle and she got her first shot last week on Friday 22 jan.

Just out of curiosity, how many of the members of this forum are vaccinated? It seems that there is actually a huge campaign ongoing in the USA to get a maximum number of persons vaccinated.
I'm near the Seattle area but not in the city, and the whole program is hit or miss. It's like throwing darts at a dart board, at some point you will hit the bullseye! Everyone scrambles for an appointment. They dont take appointments very far in advance. So you are left continually trying.
A few days back I made 37 redials, finally got through, waited 23 minutes on hold, then the clinic said "They are so busy over there I cant get them to pick up".
Eventually I got a date in March somewhere else on line. Who knows if it will come to pass as they really don't have the vaccine yet.

A couple I know got a call from their friends saying "so and so Drug Store is giving shots right now, we got ours" The couple I know drove there 40 miles away and got their shots that day.
How in the world will an 80 year old without a cell phone or the internet ever run this trap line?

Why in the world do they lower the age limit already when the older people haven't even got it yet? I think the Governor wants it to look good in a press release.
The County has a sign up, which I did. They said they would notify when your group comes up. My group has been going for weeks and no notification!

It ain't brain surgery, but there is no organization at all. Just random events.
It's an intermuscular shot so anyone could give it. People with diabetes give themselves two a day.

Tags